98 Wine Tasting ,What would you take ?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
dazza1968

98 Wine Tasting ,What would you take ?

Post by dazza1968 »

Hello Everyone I have a 98 Tasting to go to and wanted to take something a bit different :!:
I Suppose i really want to know is what would you Take !
Would love any idea's

Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

monghead

Post by monghead »

Hmmm, interesting question.

I suppose you mean Australian?

Great vintage in SA (though over-rated in my opinion), so too obvious...

Not a great year in WA I think...

What about Clonakilla SV? This would be the time all the hype and cult status started emerging? Was it actually this vintage which opened the floodgates for Clonakilla?

All the best...

Monghead.

Dave Dewhurst

Post by Dave Dewhurst »

Old rieslings are always worth a bash but not to everyone's taste. I have some Jingalla 98's from Great Southern, which I like but I can see why others would find them a bit off-putting! Maybe go for some of the more renowned names for a riesling this old from Clare or Eden??

Otherwise, how about a vintage champers? Not sure of your budget but is there summat like a 1998 Pol Roger on the market??

I think 98 was reasonable, if not outstanding in Northern Italy too??? Right bank in Bordeaux supposed to be great but rather pricey I suspect! Just some different alternatives a bit away from home as I am sure you will get loads of Barossa and Coonawarra red muck suggested :D 8) :lol:

Cheers

Dave

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

monghead wrote:Hmmm, interesting question.

Hey from anywhere really !
I have a Spanish Red from 98,but lacks the wow factor IMO ,mind you a definitive difference is always good :)
So open to anything

Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Dave Dewhurst wrote:Old rieslings are always worth a bash but not to everyone's taste. I have some Jingalla 98's from Great Southern, which I like but I can see why others would find them a bit off-putting! Maybe go for some of the more renowned names for a riesling this old from Clare or Eden??

Dave

Onya Dave - I reckon the 98 Jingalla could be sublime (or over the hill) depending on storage, etc - if you hve a good one, please post a TN (or invite me to your place to try it :lol: )

1998s? John Riddoch was radically reduced in price a couple of years later, and I recall picking up the 1998 for $50. If you have one, does it meet your criteria? It's probably approaching ready. Has anyone tried it recently?

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

Hello Dave , I do have a couple of 98 Chardy's :?: One is a rosemount roxburgh and the other is a rosemount huntervalley :?: They are past it but could add something different even though it may not promote buying whites to age them :wink:

Regards Dazza

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

dazza1968 wrote:Hello Dave , I do have a couple of 98 Chardy's :?: One is a rosemount roxburgh and the other is a rosemount huntervalley :?: They are past it but could add something different even though it may not promote buying whites to age them :wink:

Regards Dazza

No! No! Don't do it! Or your vinous reputation will be muddied for evermore :shock:
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

monghead wrote:Not a great year in WA I think...

I dunno about that - had a Vasse Felix 98 cabernet recently and it was delicious.

If the budget's a bit higher than that what about a Wendouree shiraz? Pretty different, and 98's a good one.
3, 65, 7, 50

Jay60A

Post by Jay60A »

I'd say it's about 10 years too soon on John Riddoch 1998, you'll still need a knife and fork ...

From Australia, I'd go for Seppelt St. Peters or maybe Penfolds Magill Estate, which was perhaps the best ever.
“There are no standards of taste in wine. Each mans own taste is the standard, and a majority vote cannot decide for him or in any slightest degree affect the supremacy of his own standard". Mark Twain.

monghead

Post by monghead »

dazza1968 wrote:
monghead wrote:Hmmm, interesting question.

Hey from anywhere really !
I have a Spanish Red from 98,but lacks the wow factor IMO ,mind you a definitive difference is always good :)
So open to anything

Regards Dazza

Sorry Dazza,

Didn't mean it that way mate...
I suppose I was reflecting my ignorance in the vintage abroad, thus only suggested from our shores.
As suggested previously, I think '98 was a sensational year for right bank bordeaux. Perhaps a Petrus or Le Pin? :wink: Now that would be different, and I think wow factor wouldn't be an issue here... At four figures a bottle, I think the price alone is wow enough :shock:

Cheers,

Monghead.

Boyeah

Post by Boyeah »

Yarra Yerring Dry Red No 2 or Underhill Shz
Perhaps RWT as the alternate.
Boyeah
Everyday is a bonus! Drink the best wine you can afford.

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

Waiters Friend wrote:
dazza1968 wrote:Hello Dave , I do have a couple of 98 Chardy's :?: One is a rosemount roxburgh and the other is a rosemount huntervalley :?: They are past it but could add something different even though it may not promote buying whites to age them :wink:

Regards Dazza

No! No! Don't do it! Or your vinous reputation will be muddied for evermore :shock:
:mrgreen:

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

98 Kays Block 6 shiraz, for something a bit different
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

winetastic

Post by winetastic »

98 was a great year for Hunter reds...

Lake's Folly Cabernets is just coming into its drinking window. On the shiraz front, Mount Pleasant Rosehill or OP&OP or perhaps Tyrrell's Vat 9 might be worth a look as well.

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Yattarna Chardonnay. Blinder........

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

Tyrrells 98 Vat 8 is drinking superbly as is Bleasedales Frank Potts.

In whites the 98 Tahbilk Marsanne also singing.
Mike.

griff

Post by griff »

Had a superb Cepparello from 98 last year (thanks Justin!)

As far as whites go perhaps a Hunter Semillon?

Oh and I really like Pol Roger 1998 champagne. That is still around some places and quite different. Even some red bigots drink champagne ;)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Mate

I wish like Monghead that I could advise a Petrus or LePin but I'm in the land of the mortgage belt and only dream of those - lately I've had a 1998 Penfolds Kalimna Bin 28 that was beautiful and some old Maglieri's that were good. I don't know if you scored any of the Norman's Peacock of that year that is superb drinking now. I picked up a Lindemans Celebration pack (1998) of Pyrus, St George and Limestone Ridge last night - Jamie Oliver gave those wines points between 94-96 and a window starting now.

I'd be surprised if there were too many bad Barossa wines of that year - certainly I've only had 1 or 2.

best of luck

Luke
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Luke W wrote: Jamie Oliver gave those wines points between 94-96 and a window starting now.

So is Jamie wading into the wine business as well now ?! :)
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Christo

Post by Christo »

it would be rude not to take a 98' krug!

c
"You are what u drink!"

Paradox

Post by Paradox »

Wayno wrote:
Luke W wrote: Jamie Oliver gave those wines points between 94-96 and a window starting now.

So is Jamie wading into the wine business as well now ?! :)

Lol :-)

JamieH

Post by JamieH »

98 Perrier Jouet Grand Brut, excellent champange, had it alongside a 99 Belle Epoque (spelling!!) and it was hands down the better wine. throughly impressed with how this was developing and only around $100.

Jamie
Lets just say I have never had a wine I've hated, but there are some I would rather not taste again....

Nick11

Post by Nick11 »

1998 Bannockburn Shiraz

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

Wow so many great wines 8) :D Petrus sounds interesting $ wise, Hunter red and white sounds great now Champagne ,Krug,Pol Roger,perrier etc and then the Yarra valley pops up :D And many more I havent mentioned

Regards Dazza

Sharkey

Post by Sharkey »

Nick11 wrote:1998 Bannockburn Shiraz

Yes - Great wine and the best back label ever (click the link for a picture)

http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?p=62299&highlight=back+labels#62299
Sharkey

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

Sharkey that is very special ! :D

Regards Dazza

Dave Dewhurst

Post by Dave Dewhurst »

Waiters Friend wrote:
Dave Dewhurst wrote:Old rieslings are always worth a bash but not to everyone's taste. I have some Jingalla 98's from Great Southern, which I like but I can see why others would find them a bit off-putting! Maybe go for some of the more renowned names for a riesling this old from Clare or Eden??

Dave

Onya Dave - I reckon the 98 Jingalla could be sublime (or over the hill) depending on storage, etc - if you hve a good one, please post a TN (or invite me to your place to try it :lol: )

Storage I reckon was OK as I got em direct from the winery last year. I have both 98 and 01 - for me I suspect the 98 is on its last legs (but still a lovely drink) as the 01 is gorgeously a point as they say. For these, you do have to like the orangey end of the spectrum with a touch of kero. I'll try and remember to crack one over the weekend and see how they are running.

Cheers

Dave

monghead

Post by monghead »

Never had a Petrus, nor a Le Pin, nor do we have one in the cellar.

Suggested these so that dazza could give us all a TN... :wink:

As to something truly aussie, what about a '98 sparkling shiraz. Rockford Black or Leasingham classic clare.

Cheers,

Monghead.

RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

I wouldnt mind giving the 98 Wirra Wirra Chook Block a look to see how it is developing but maybe still too young. A 98 Best's Thompson Family Shriaz also springs to mind and would certainly have wow factor.

The 98 Jasper Hill Georgia's Paddock Shiraz from Heathcote is singing right now and certainly has the wow factor.

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

sorry guys - I live with a chef so Jamie rather than Jeremy Oliver is regularly a topic of conversation

cheers

Luke
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud