Weekly reports now due....

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
PaulV

Post by PaulV »

Agree with AJ about the 95 burgs.

Had a 95 Chambolle Musigny 1st cru "Les Cras", Ghislaine Barthod recently and the tannins were still fierce. Not sure if the fruit will outlast the tannins though even though the nose is superb.

Cheers

paul

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Paul

That is supposedly her most tannic wine, so the tannins are to be expected. Should be good when it softens. I have the Fuees and the Veroilles, but these probably need a couple of years as well, although not as tannic as the Cras.

regards
Chris

Post by Guest »

I've been drinking quite a few Barthod 1993s, 1995s and 1996s. All looking pretty good to my palate. Charmes is pretty easy to drink with its softness and balance. Veroilles, being nearer Morey I guess seems a little sterner.....the Chatelots is generally pretty seductive. I like these wines and depending on what I'm eating they usually drink very well. Not world beaters but lovely and enjoyable.

You don't see many around Australia.

PaulSheldon

TVs: A whole bunch

Post by PaulSheldon »

From the first VC cellar press of the year:

Whites (RBs may skip this section)
--------
01 Houghtons Frankland River Riesling (E-) - excellent example of regional and varietal style

03 Cullens Ellen Bussell White (VG) - a semillon dominant blend, well put together, fresh and fruit driven

NV Brown Brothers Patricia Sparkling (VG+) - was surprised how good this was, yeasty, fine bead, good nose and palate, good length, but at $36 a bottle there are better in the price range

03 Forest Hill Chardonnay (VG) - a simple, older style of chard with lots of rounded butterscotch, pretty good for the money (about $15)

03 Forest Hill Sav Blanc Semillon (VG+) - very fresh, zesty

99 Mt Pleasant Elizabeth (E) - I don't have much experience with this wine unlike others in the group but this is as good as any semillon I have tried, magic stuff

98 Mt Pleasant Lovedale Semillon (VG) - wasn't as taken with this as the Elizabeth, but my friend who came with me preferred this so it probably just comes down to personal taste (doesn't it all?)

Reds
------
01 Redman Shiraz (VG) - nothing wrong with this and good QPR at $15 by the dozen

01 Leasingham Bin 61 Shiraz (E-) - big, bold, needs time but is almost up to the 98 and 99 and still fantastic QPR at $16 by the dozen

00 Orlando St Hugo Cab Sav (O-) - wow, now this is something, perfectly balanced, powerful yet smooth, good tannin backbone but integrating well already, loads of fruit. This is as good as any St Hugo I have tried, one to look out for.

99 Russet Ridge Cab Shiraz Merlot (VG-)

02 Cullens Ellen Bussell Red (VG-) - very nice nose but palate lacked weight

98 Seppelt Victorian Shiraz (G+) - something not right on the nose, bottle stink? Palate was fine, not as tannic as the 99 but not as good, nose was offputting though, but not corked, just not right.

02 Wynns Estate Shiraz (VG+) - just what you would expect, always great QPR

02 Ingoldby Shiraz (VG-) - not quite up to previous vintages

00 Saltram No 1 Shiraz (E+) - the nose hit from about 3 feet away, powerful, concentrated, sweet but definitely not candied, magic

01 Penfolds Bin 28 Shiraz (VG+) - smooth, nice but nothing standout

01 Penfolds Bin 128 Shiraz (E-) - big, tannic but with fruit to back it up, ought to be a ripper in a few years but don't even attempt now

01 Penfolds Bin 407 Cab (VG-) - a little uninteresting, not as good as the better vintages

01 Penfolds Bin 389 (E-) - getting back to form, very nice

02 Penfolds Bin 138 (VG-) - if you like the style I guess...

02 Grant Burge Hillcot Merlot (VG) - great nose, smooth palate, good QPR at $14 if you like your merlot

01 Grant Burge Filsell Shiraz (E) - classic Barossa shiraz, combined power with finesse, top value at $27

01 Flybrook Shiraz (E-) - lighter style not usually my cup of tea but I was really taken with this one, still had good tannin and long finish, refined and stylish

01 Vasse Felix Shiraz (O-) - this is as good as MR shiraz gets, easily as good as the much vaunted 99

?? St Hallett Faith Shiraz (G) - very bland and uninteresting but not faulty that I could tell

01 St Hallett Blackwell Shiraz (E+) - total opposite to the Faith, another classic Barossa with powerful fruit, building complexity and plenty of tannin, long long finish, top stuff
Paul

DaveL

Post by DaveL »

Interesting to read your feedback on the Flybrook Shiraz Paul, I was handling those wines at the Cellar Press tasting. Incidentally, how did you find the service you recieved from those handling wines? Any standouts?
Ground control to Major Tom, take your protein pills and put your helmet on.

KevinT

Post by KevinT »

Dave

I was a the Cellar Press tasting. You were informative and very obliging.

The guy that handles the De Bertoli is always a fav of mine. Humourous, and very passionate about his wines. Always a smile on his face.

Some of the others are basically waiters. Not much response from them, no smile and minimal infomation offered until you start asking a bunch of questions.

It's guys like you and the De Bertoli one that makes a tasting fun!
"............ anything, as long as it's red"

Kevin

PaulSheldon

Post by PaulSheldon »

Yes I would agree, you were very helpful, thankyou! I must admit I don't try to spend a lot of time talking to those serving the wines simply because it takes time to get through all the wines that are available and most of the information you want can be found on the net these days anyway. As someone who frequents a lot of these tastings it can get annoying if you are waiting to taste a wine and two or three people in front insist on staying there and chatting their way through an entire range, making it impossible for anyone else to try anything for 10-15 minutes. I prefer to get my sample and walk away, allowing others to taste while I disect a wine, then come back for the next one. But that's just me I guess.
Paul