Aged Margaret River Cabernet

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
A_n_d_r_e_w

Aged Margaret River Cabernet

Post by A_n_d_r_e_w »

I've come to love my MR cabernets, but have yet to have any beyond about 10 years of bottle age. If I was to splurge on a 15 year+ MR cabernet what wines and vintages would people recommend? How long lived can they be?

Cheers,

Andrew

AndrewCowley

Post by AndrewCowley »

I can't speak from experience. But if money is no object then try one of the big names. Moss Wood, Cullen, Voyager Estate etc...

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

Add Willespie, and Woodlands, but could be harder to source. There really are very few to chose from on the secondary market other than Moss Wood, and Cullen at that age. Maybe some Cape Mentelle floating around...
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

rooman

Post by rooman »

Andrew, a friend of mine has been sharing his collection of Moss Woods from around 90/91 and they have been superb with still no sign of fading. Recent MR I have opened out of my own cellar from around '98/'99 such as Voyager are still far too young to drink. Based on these experiences, I am now putting down the likes of Moss Wood and Cullen for when I retire one day.

Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I've been working my way through a case each of Vasse Felix 99 Shiraz and Xanadu 99 Cabernet. When they're good, they're very good, but several have been duds, just bottle variation. My advice is ensure it is under screwcap.
Hide the rum Captain Jack Sparrow

JJap

Post by JJap »

Duncan wrote:I've been working my way through a case each of Vasse Felix 99 Shiraz

I brought 3 of these from the cellar door ages ago. Brought them home, put them in cellar and promptly forgot about them until recently. Have had 2 of them and they both drank superbly. I must get the last one out soon.

griff

Post by griff »

Duncan wrote:I've been working my way through a case each of Vasse Felix 99 Shiraz and Xanadu 99 Cabernet. When they're good, they're very good, but several have been duds, just bottle variation. My advice is ensure it is under screwcap.

Not easy to find screwcapped 15+ Margaret cabernets you know ;)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Heaps to choose. Have tried vintage wines from all of these producers that were minium 10+ years and most were flying (obviously various vintages).

MossWood
Cullen
Vasse Felix
Howard Park
Xanadu
Cape Mentelle
Leeuwin Estate
Cape Clairault
Houghton

Vintages would be 86,90,91,92,94,95,96.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

I would have to endorse the previous comments about 'some duds', and probably due to cork. I reckon I've had about a 50/50 strike rate with 10+ year old MR reds. Very disappointing to chuck these down the sink during a dinner party :cry:
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

Waiters Friend wrote:I would have to endorse the previous comments about 'some duds', and probably due to cork. I reckon I've had about a 50/50 strike rate with 10+ year old MR reds. Very disappointing to chuck these down the sink during a dinner party :cry:
I suppose thats why screw caps are hot to trot :wink: Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

Partagas wrote:Heaps to choose. Have tried vintage wines from all of these producers that were minium 10+ years and most were flying (obviously various vintages).

MossWood
Cullen
Vasse Felix
Howard Park
Xanadu
Cape Mentelle
Leeuwin Estate
Cape Clairault
Houghton

Vintages would be 86,90,91,92,94,95,96.
Hope your right on the 92Moss wood 8)
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

dazza1968 wrote:
Waiters Friend wrote:I would have to endorse the previous comments about 'some duds', and probably due to cork. I reckon I've had about a 50/50 strike rate with 10+ year old MR reds. Very disappointing to chuck these down the sink during a dinner party :cry:

I'll open my next (last or second 2nd last?) bottle of Cullen cab et al 99 with genuine trepidation. Vanya has apparently adopted screwcap seals for most of the winery's production these days, a prudent decision to my mind.

Cheers

daz
Last edited by Daryl Douglas on Wed May 13, 2009 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

I have had the priviledge of drinking both the Mosswood and Cape Mentelle 90 and 91's in recent months and would thoroughly recommend all of them. The Mosswood fairing better than the Cape Mentelle however i do believe they are both slightly different in style and good bottles of any of these will shine. I highly recommend the experience trying these wines from these two vintages. All you have to do now is source some.

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

RedVelvet wrote:I have had the priviledge of drinking both the Mosswood and Cape Mentelle 90 and 91's in recent months and would thoroughly recommend all of them. The Mosswood fairing better than the Cape Mentelle however i do believe they are both slightly different in style and good bottles of any of these will shine. I highly recommend the experience trying these wines from these two vintages. All you have to do now is source some.

How was the 1991 Mosswood travelling in terms of drinking window ? Would think it would not yet be there. Gee wiz if it beats the Cape Mentelle I can not wait till I open the reserve I've got. The Cape was incredible and probably best I’ve had for a while

Sam

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Daryl Douglas wrote:
dazza1968 wrote:

I'll open my next (last or second 2nd last?) bottle of Cullen cab et al 99 with genuine trepidation. Vanya has apparently adopted screwcap seals for most of the winery's production these days, a prudent decision to my mind.

Cheers

daz

Hi Daz

Genuine trepidation is how I would certainly approach it, given the appalling waste of wine (and $$) over the last few years.

Then I get a phone call from a friend in MR (a winemaker) to discuss his impending 50th and a) the Saturday night party, and b) the Friday night dinner with special (wine) friends, and of course, it is time to pull out the big guns...... I know the host will be pulling out a Grange or two (given a 5 year career with Penfolds in the 80s).

Do I pull out a 2000 Cullen? No way, or not without a backup. I have a fair idea what I will bring to that dinner, but it won't be Western Australian - I'll play safe AND have a backup. I might even go French (assuming maybe TWO backups :lol: )
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Partagas wrote:
RedVelvet wrote:I have had the priviledge of drinking both the Mosswood and Cape Mentelle 90 and 91's in recent months and would thoroughly recommend all of them. The Mosswood fairing better than the Cape Mentelle however i do believe they are both slightly different in style and good bottles of any of these will shine. I highly recommend the experience trying these wines from these two vintages. All you have to do now is source some.

How was the 1991 Mosswood travelling in terms of drinking window ? Would think it would not yet be there. Gee wiz if it beats the Cape Mentelle I can not wait till I open the reserve I've got. The Cape was incredible and probably best I’ve had for a while

Sam

Hi Partagas

The 91 Mosswood was decanted for 2 hours prior to drinking and had opened nicely. It is certainly drinking wonderfully right now however i do believe it has not yet reached its best. At a guess i would suggest another 3 - 5yrs to reach its peak drinking window. I drank the 91 Cape Mentelle along side the Mosswood which gave me the ability to compare both side by side.

The pure blackcurrant fruit, silky texture and balance in the Mosswood certainly put it a notch above the Cape Mentelle. I completely agree the Cape Mentelle was an awesome wine and i would drink it again in a flash but beside the Mosswood i feel it was over shadowed. If you loved the Mentelle then im sure you are really really going to enjoy those Mosswoods.