Your Wine of the Year.......so far.

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
JamieH

Post by JamieH »

i've got a few -
Red - Wendouree Cab Malbec 1996, stunning wine that is still in its infancy, made my top 20 wines i've ever enjoyed.

White - Best 2008 riesling, delicous drinking riesling, has a slight moselle fruitiness to it. great wine, very different from previous vintages i have tried (marked vintage variation seems to be a common theme with this wine).

Sparkling - 1997 Cristal, from what was a difficult vintage for some this surprised everyone, sublime and decadent. enjoyed the same night as the wendouree.

i know its not quite wine but had a glass of 1961 delord bas armagnac the other night. simply awesome!!! lined up with 1979 and 1970, great tasting.

Jamie
Lets just say I have never had a wine I've hated, but there are some I would rather not taste again....

Bick

Re: Your Wine of the Year.......so far.

Post by Bick »

ross67 wrote:we are one quarter of the way through the year already :shock:

[pedantry] 4 months is one third of a year :wink: [/pedantry]

My best so far would probably be:
Red: Domaine Charbonniere Chateauneuf du-Pape Vieilles Vignes 05
White: Francois Chidaine Montlouis-sur-Loire Les Choisilles 05
Cheers,
Mike

ufo

Post by ufo »

ross67 wrote:
ufo wrote:Yalumba Sinature 1994 at its peak.

A friend of mine scored a few of the '92 from auction recently ufo....have you tried this vintage??

Ross

I haven't but according to Yalumba'a special publication on all signatures, it's past its peak.

Wycroft

Post by Wycroft »

The 2002 Pegasus Bay Riesling I drank earlier this week. Nectar.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

The 2002 Pegasus Bay Riesling I drank earlier this week. Nectar.

Yip, its outstanding stuff. 02 topped our 02-07 peg bay vertical earlier this year. The good thing about that event was searching through the cellar to put together the vertical I discovered that I had quite a few bottles more of 02 than what I thought I had! :D
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

Wycroft

Post by Wycroft »

How was the 2001 Craig? I have one of that left. Drank all the others years ago and can't recall whether it was a star.

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

I've got two, depending on how I feel. The 1998 Wendouree Shiraz was spectacular but pretty challenging - very earthy and much less fruity than I expected. Otherwise the 1998 Vasse Felix Cabernet was a perfect MR cab for my money. Got a couple spare and will enjoy them.
3, 65, 7, 50

Mandingo

Post by Mandingo »

I cant go past the 2002 Hewitson Old Garden Mourvedre for sheer interest and drinkability over 4 hours - lovely wine! Oh and the 2004 St Henri wasnt bad either. The fact that I drank both of these with Roger Pike makes me wonder whether it was the wine or the company that was memorable - nah - definitely the wine!

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

dazza1968 wrote:
Luke W wrote:A few beauties but I'd have to say the 1991 Wynns Black Label Cabernet just blew me away - it had absolutely everything you look for in a wine.
Cheers
Luke
Yes I wish i had bought 5 Cartons back in 94 :lol: Mind you i was in my twenties then and it sure wasn't top of my priorities :cry:

Regards Dazza

As mentioned before, this is also my WOTY to date.

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

ACG

Post by ACG »

Morris Old Premium Liqueur Muscat Yep, its a technicality, but after careful thought this is the best wine I have had this year, and probably one of the best over the last 5 years too. World class.

Otherwise, best table wine:

Best Thomson Family Shiraz 2005 A near perfect ripe & rich Australian Shiraz that will live forever.
Last edited by ACG on Fri May 01, 2009 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

n4sir wrote:
dazza1968 wrote:
Luke W wrote:A few beauties but I'd have to say the 1991 Wynns Black Label Cabernet just blew me away - it had absolutely everything you look for in a wine.
Cheers
Luke
Yes I wish i had bought 5 Cartons back in 94 :lol: Mind you i was in my twenties then and it sure wasn't top of my priorities :cry:

Regards Dazza

As mentioned before, this is also my WOTY to date.

Cheers,
Ian

Ditto.
"It is very hard to make predictions, especially about the future." Samuel Goldwyn

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

How was the 2001 Craig? I have one of that left. Drank all the others years ago and can't recall whether it was a star.

only had 02-07. Best (in order of both mine and group rankings) were 02,07,04
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Toss up between a 1996 Kalimna Bin 28 Shiraz, and the 1996 Rouge Homme Cabernet I had last week.

Also an outstanding 1969 Kaiser Stuhl Vintage Port for my 40th in Feb. Might have been partly due to the occasion/special nature of the wine as I had a better example at Xmas last year when I first picked them up.

I have high hopes for the 99 Balnaves Cab Savs I picked up at auction the first of which is down for tonight :)

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

rooman

Post by rooman »

pizzler wrote:2005 Schloss Lieser Niederberg Helden Riesling Auslese Lang Goldkapsel: This was an excellent wine from the first pour to the last drop. We drank it with a 2001 Eiswein and it trounced it. It started out with a distinct and yummy grapefruit flavor to it that gradually became a perfectly ripe peach taste. Flavors were distinctive, even laser-like, and the wine exhibited a wonderful balance. This is one of those wines that can last for decades and show new facets throughout. I look forward to exploring it more in the coming years. This was one of the best Auslese wines I've had in a couple of years.

I have some of these. I am curious to know if you started the meal or finished the meal with it and what food you paired it with.

winetastic

Post by winetastic »

Keith Tulloch 'Kester' Shiraz 2000 - Still amazingly youthful, the fruit just starting to take on some bottle aged spicy character. Only have one more bottle... check back in 5-10 years at a guess?

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

winetastic wrote:Keith Tulloch 'Kester' Shiraz 2000 - Still amazingly youthful, the fruit just starting to take on some bottle aged spicy character. Only have one more bottle... check back in 5-10 years at a guess?

I had one of these 12 months ago. Sounds like little has changed. Thanks for the update. BTW, I only have one more bottle as well.
"It is very hard to make predictions, especially about the future." Samuel Goldwyn

winetastic

Post by winetastic »

Roscoe wrote:
winetastic wrote:Keith Tulloch 'Kester' Shiraz 2000 - Still amazingly youthful, the fruit just starting to take on some bottle aged spicy character. Only have one more bottle... check back in 5-10 years at a guess?

I had one of these 12 months ago. Sounds like little has changed. Thanks for the update. BTW, I only have one more bottle as well.

Have you any 2001s? If so, checked in recently? I have two of those as well, based on how the Mount Pleasant Rosehill from the same vintage is drinking, I suspect it is time...

Still kind of kicking myself for opening the 2000 the other week, despite it being fantastic :)

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

For me there were several sublime examples of mature wines that hit the spot so far this year:

1993 Mount Pleasant 'Maurice O'Shea' Shiraz,
1975 CVNE Vina Real Gran Riserva, Rioja, Spain,
1978 Castelgiocondo Brunello di Montalcino, Tuscany, Italy

For a young red wine I would pick the 2004 August Clape Cornas, Rhone, France.

In the white category there were two mature dessert wines:

1971 Kiedreicher Sandgrub, Riesling Auslese, Rheingau, Germany, and
1990 Peter Lehmann Botrytis Semillon, Barossa.

The port is without doubt the 1963 Grahams and the Champagne 1982 Gosset from a magnum

Cheers............Mahmoud

Matt

Post by Matt »

well im bursting to try and find the 1991 cape mentelle after the notes here...will let u know if i find it.
cheers

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

winetastic wrote:
Roscoe wrote:

Have you any 2001s? If so, checked in recently? I have two of those as well, based on how the Mount Pleasant Rosehill from the same vintage is drinking, I suspect it is time...

Still kind of kicking myself for opening the 2000 the other week, despite it being fantastic :)

Sorry Murray, can't help you on the 01.

malliemcg

Post by malliemcg »

2003 St Henri Shiraz - celebrated with some good friends for being happy about the birth of our Daughter a month ago. (Apologies for the words and their order - brain very broken atm - lack of sleep truly is torture).

Figured this one not being from a brilliant vintage would be better to drink and open rather than crack one of the 2002's we have.

Can't really remember much in a good descriptive sense other than could have done w/ another 2-4 hours decanting and that 750mL is just too small of a bottle, but it was very nicely balanced and a moorish wine, felt fantastic in the mouth but occasion was everything.

Second would be a 2005 Château Franc-Pérat (Bordeaux) picked it up for around $16 on a whim. DAMNNIT, I can't find it any more. I wan't a case! Food friendly but not whimpy like I percieve pretty much most French stuff I've thus far had and at $16 it's a bargain.

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

malliemcg wrote:2003 St Henri Shiraz - celebrated with some good friends for being happy about the birth of our Daughter a month ago. (Apologies for the words and their order - brain very broken atm - lack of sleep truly is torture).

Figured this one not being from a brilliant vintage would be better to drink and open rather than crack one of the 2002's we have.

Can't really remember much in a good descriptive sense other than could have done w/ another 2-4 hours decanting and that 750mL is just too small of a bottle, but it was very nicely balanced and a moorish wine, felt fantastic in the mouth but occasion was everything.

Second would be a 2005 Château Franc-Pérat (Bordeaux) picked it up for around $16 on a whim. DAMNNIT, I can't find it any more. I wan't a case! Food friendly but not whimpy like I percieve pretty much most French stuff I've thus far had and at $16 it's a bargain.

Congrats mate. Great excuse to drink and great experience all round (besides initial sleepless nights).

wiggum

Post by wiggum »

Up at my Brothers place in Northern NSW and had a 98 Wolf Blass Black Label - Super complex and smooth and a very pleasant surprise to both of us. It had all the best of Cabernet and shiraz together. Although I cant remember the ratios I believe it to be Cab dominant. Very impressive indeed

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Had a '94 Wynns Michael Shiraz last weekend. Absolutely fab...

Cheers
Simo

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Possibly rating equal with Turkey Flat Shiraz 1999, Tahblk Cabernet Shiraz 1996 is at least a solid runner-up. The last glass left in the bottle in the fridge since last night had changed little from last nights later glasses that had time to breathe more, the bit of bottle/barrel stink to dissipate. I think it may have been bottled from barrel just prior to release, the cork having only 1-2mm of colouration on the end. The bottle of shiraz 03 opened tonight had some colouration almost to the top on one side of the cork.

Cheers

daz

monghead

Post by monghead »

Just tasted the 04 Grange, but thought I wouldn't change my top wine so far. 1996 Rousseau Chambertin.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

monghead wrote:Just tasted the 04 Grange, but thought I wouldn't change my top wine so far. 1996 Rousseau Chambertin.

I've only one bottle of Grange 96, haven't ever tried it but can't help wondering how it'd compare to your woty.

Cheers

daz

hmmm

Post by hmmm »

'86 john riddoch :wink:

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

hmmm wrote:'86 john riddoch :wink:

That's a major classic by all accounts. 86 is reputed to have been an excellent year for reds from most of the major regions. So was 81.

Seems I have to wait another 12yrs for my 98.

Cheers

daz

monghead

Post by monghead »

Daryl Douglas wrote:
monghead wrote:Just tasted the 04 Grange, but thought I wouldn't change my top wine so far. 1996 Rousseau Chambertin.

I've only one bottle of Grange 96, haven't ever tried it but can't help wondering how it'd compare to your woty.

Cheers

daz

You know Daryl, I think the 96 Grange will be better than the Rousseau in 15-20 years time, but for now, and the next 10 years perhaps, the Rousseau...

Cheers,

Monghead.