Removing corks that are old & longer than average

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Softie

Removing corks that are old & longer than average

Post by Softie »

Hi Folks,

I've had a few problems recently breaking corks when opening older bottles (say > 10 years old) - especially on prestige wines with longer corks.

Unfortunately most of us will occasionally encounter corks that were never of good quality. Either that, or at some stages of life the storage was flawed.

I 'enjoyed' failure with both waiters' friend or 'winged arms' devices. I have occasionally seen (but not closely inspected) cork removers with two pronks that slide down the outside of the cork. I wonder if they might be more suited to longer and crumblier old corks?

Could I have your advice, please?

John

griff

Post by griff »

Those prong openers are caller an Ah-So after one of the makers or a butler's friend for the ability to open a bottle without damaging the cork. Definitely worth trying with crumbly cork.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

orpheus

Post by orpheus »

The other trick is to see if you can loosen the cork by pushing it down slightly before trying to pull it out.

If you can, this will work.

Not all waiters' friends are the same; you need something with a long screw coming to a good, sharp point.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

There's also fine-meshed stainless steel tea strainers - helps breathe the wine for immediate consumption. :) :shock: Ah, so......

redstuff

Post by redstuff »

if all else fails and your cork ends up in the bottle, you can also get cork retrievers that work very well for big pieces.

JamieH

Post by JamieH »

the best way i've seen, but can not remember the name of, is a gas removal system. its a small device with a needle that you insert through the cork and press to let the gas in. the gas pushes out the cork smoothly and has no affect on the wine. great product, i used to sell it at Grape indro so Michael mc nally might remember it.

jamie

hold on i think it was called 'cork pop'!!!!
Lets just say I have never had a wine I've hated, but there are some I would rather not taste again....

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

JamieH wrote:the best way i've seen, but can not remember the name of, is a gas removal system. its a small device with a needle that you insert through the cork and press to let the gas in. the gas pushes out the cork smoothly and has no affect on the wine. great product, i used to sell it at Grape indro so Michael mc nally might remember it.

jamie

Hmm, (not him or her) think I've seen something about this one before, not cheap though from what I recall. Possibly good value if you're opening bottles of rather expensive, aged, cork-sealed wines fairly regularly. Obviously, the inert(?) gas recharges' cost should be related to the value of the wine they're deployed in opening.

I'll stick with the waiters friend and the tea-strainer. :wink:

Cheers

daz

JamieH

Post by JamieH »

from what i can remember, thats all customers used it for (opening old bottles). also the average for the refills was 100 shots, for $20 a cylinder it worked out to be 20 cents a bottle. funny how i can remember all that but the name was the hardest.

jamie
Lets just say I have never had a wine I've hated, but there are some I would rather not taste again....

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

You can buy Cork Pop rip-offs from Peters for about $6 each. Made of plastic and come with one canister. Then you can buy the geniune refills $15 for 2 cartridges. They don't stock them all the time just get them in every now and again.

http://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Pr ... 15&cid=546

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

The old waiters mate and tea strainer still seem easier. What's the problem if the wine needs to be decanted anyway? Pfffttt, seems to be a storm in a teacup - or strainer - and somewhat of an anal psyche concern.

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

orpheus wrote:The other trick is to see if you can loosen the cork by pushing it down slightly before trying to pull it out.

If you can, this will work.

Not all waiters' friends are the same; you need something with a long screw coming to a good, sharp point.
Great tip will try in the future
regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

Softie

Yep, shrewd tip from Orpheus

Post by Softie »

Hear, hear, Dazza. Thank you, Orpheus for the contribution. John

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

JamieH wrote:the best way i've seen, but can not remember the name of, is a gas removal system. its a small device with a needle that you insert through the cork and press to let the gas in. the gas pushes out the cork smoothly and has no affect on the wine. great product, i used to sell it at Grape indro so Michael mc nally might remember it.

jamie

Hi Jamie

The one I bought at the Grape (ahhh those were the days), was called Corky. I only found it through Google of course, but here's a gratuitous pic:

It was pump action (environmentally friendly???) but as I gave it to my father-in-law as a present and never heard of it again, I don't think it was brilliant. Perhaps you are thinking of another opener.

Hope you can make it to the next offline (must post that thread soon) as it would be great to catch up.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

www.wineaccessory.com/Images/corky.jpg

Sorry, just displaying how dumb I am.
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

John #11

Post by John #11 »

Michael McNally wrote:www.wineaccessory.com/Images/corky.jpg

Sorry, just displaying how dumb I am.