Australia vs France - Terror or Terrior?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
El Josho

Australia vs France - Terror or Terrior?

Post by El Josho »

Team,

I'm off to Provence on the weekend, and am being hosted by a bloke in the Wine trade.

Good-natured challenges along the lines of 'Our Reds vs Yours' have been issued by the Old World party and so I have to provide one Australian Northern Rhone style, one Southern Rhone style and one Burgundy that can expected to hold quarter and give a good show. For reference, we're keeping it simple with a per bottle cap of £30.

I have a few ideas already, but would like to know your thoughts on what you would include.

Cheers,

El Josho
"It wasn't the wine," murmured Mr. Snodgrass, in a broken voice. "It was the salmon."
Charles Dickens, Pickwick Papers

monghead

Post by monghead »

Now, is a northern Rhone style an SV, and a southern Rhone a GSM or vice versa???

If so, suggestions:

SV- Clonakilla

GSM- Teusner Avatar, Charles Melton Nine Popes, others will say Torbreck Steading

Burgundy- Wantirna, Epis, Bass Philip

Bordeaux- Moss Wood, Cullen

Cheers,

Monghead.

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

Tight on the price, but could you squeeze a Jack Mann into the bordeaux category?
3, 65, 7, 50

griff

Post by griff »

If you want pure Australia then the Peter Lehmann eight songs 2004. If a rhone style then perhaps the Clonakilla O'Riada Shiraz.

Southern Rhone I would go with the Spinifex Papillon 06, John Duval Plexus, Teusner Avatar as monghead suggested. An old d'arry original would be a nice ringer ;) If grenache only then the Samuel Gorge is an absolute cracker that would be the one to beat.

No idea about pinot. I think the Hoddles 08 that I am drinking right now would be a good ringer as value-wise France would be wetting themselves. Otherwise maybe the Savaterre or a Kooyong Haven.

No Bordeaux style needed? No sweeties either?

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

Hmm...

For the Bordeaux I'd look at something from Coonawarra like a Parker or a Majella

Burgundy - Williams Crossing Pinot; made by Curly Flat in Macendon, you'll get a McDonalds Cheeseburger in the change

Rhone... Well, the worlds your oyster here, you can go either the Shiraz/Viogner route, or the GSM. Not sure of the price, but Charlie Meltons Nine Popes would be an obvious choice. Otherwise how about a Turners Crossing Shiraz/Viogner from Bendigo; Varietal and regional qualities in that, with change from $30

You could of course go down the white route too...
The Dog of Wine

JF

Post by JF »

I think the limit is 30 quid not 30 dollars.

rooman

Post by rooman »

SV- Clonakilla or for straight version one of the Brokenwood Graveyards

GSM- Charles Melton Nine Popes, (they have the oldest track record)

Burgundy- Main Ridge Half Acre or Savaterre

Bordeaux- Moss Wood,

monghead

Post by monghead »

rooman wrote:Burgundy- Main Ridge Half Acre

Nice one, forgot about them. Would definitely second that.

Julio G

Post by Julio G »

rhone blend - I would go for a d'Arenberg Ironstone Pressings

JamieH

Post by JamieH »

don't like your chances of finding one but i concur with the clonakilla sv call, otherwise henschke mt edelstone, seppelt st peters or bests bin 0 (the white labeled one) shiraz. southern torbreck the steading, john duval plexus, nine popes. burgundy is of course a minefield, do you know what your competeing againest??? (my spelling is terrible sorry).

Jamie
Lets just say I have never had a wine I've hated, but there are some I would rather not taste again....

El Josho

Post by El Josho »

Thanks all. In the end time and availability got away from me, so I went for a Dead Arm, Schild Estate Barossa GSM and Ten Minutes by Tractor 10X Pinot.

I shall report back on my Gallic friend's contribution to the debate.
"It wasn't the wine," murmured Mr. Snodgrass, in a broken voice. "It was the salmon."
Charles Dickens, Pickwick Papers