Whisky night in Adelaide

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Glen

Whisky night in Adelaide

Post by Glen »

Graham from the Odd Whiskey Coy. has just sent this through and I thought if anyone likes a dram they may be interested.

6:30FOR 7PM SIT DOWN
GUEST SPEAKER – Barry Chalmers, Behind Bars and Diageo Brand Ambassador
$95.00 PER HEAD
NUMBERS STRICTLY LIMITED
$50.00 DEPOSIT REQUIRED TO CONFIRM BOOKING

ALL BOOKINGS THROUGH THE ROB ROY ON 08 8223 5391

Dalwhinnie 15yo 45%
Beef Consommé with Ox Tongue Dumpling.

Cragganmore 12yo 40%
Seared Scallops with Black Pudding, Baby Salad and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Oban 14yo 43%
Confit Duck, Frisse Lettuce, Orange Segments and
Spice Roasted Walnuts.

Talisker Distillers Edition 1993 45.8%
“Scottish Casoulet”, Braised Lamb Shoulder, Chorizo, Haricot Beans, Tomato, Turnips and Carrots.

Lagavulin 16yo 43%
210 Day Aged Grain Fed Scotch Fillet with Spinach Puree, Chateau Potato, Cocktail Onions, Button Mushroom, Bacon Lardoons and Beef Jus.

Adelphi Benrinnes 1984 21yo Sherry 57.8%
Selection of Scottish Petit Fours.

POT STILL ROOM
ROB ROY HOTEL
106 HALIFAX STREET, ADELAIDE
p 08 8223 5391 f 08 8232 0071
ENQUIRIES@ROBROYHOTEL.COM.AU
WWW.ROBROYHOTEL.COM.AU

Scanlon

Post by Scanlon »

Hi - When is this happening?

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Damn that sounds good. Wish they had this in Perth.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Sounds good. I expect the Talisker Distiller's Edition will be lovely. Recently the 1991 Distiller's Edition of the Cragganmore came out top of the heap in a 14-bottle blind tasting of Scotch.

Cheers.............Mahmoud.

monghead

Post by monghead »

Partagas wrote:Damn that sounds good. Wish they had this in Perth.

You know Partagas, you could just wonder up to the Champagne Lounge at Must for the above and more.....

monghead

Post by monghead »

Talisker, Oban, Lagavulin.....

All too smoky and peaty for me.

A good MacCallum aged in sherry oak (not the fine oak stuff they have now) is the shot!

Cheers,

Monghead.

griff

Post by griff »

monghead wrote:Talisker, Oban, Lagavulin.....

A good MacCallum aged in sherry oak (not the fine oak stuff they have now) is the shot!

Cheers,

Monghead.

Hard to find around for me at least. Loved the cask strength as well. Have you tried the Aberlour A'Bunagh? Although it is a cask strength it has some nice sherry notes. Watered down it is a fine drink. Another nice sherry and great value is the Balvenie Double wood.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

monghead wrote:Talisker, Oban, Lagavulin.....

Cheers,

Monghead.

Think you mean Macallan, it's one of the malts I'd like to try some day - it's a Speyside malt as is my favourite good-value easy-drinking malt, The Glenlivet 12yo. McCallum is a blend at the lower end of scotch whiskys. Tried the other three you mention. The Talisker surprised me with its level of peat. Bowmore Legend 8yo is a good intro to Islay malts such as Lagavulin. Would like to try Bowmore 12yo some day too, amongst many others including Highland Park, Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Bruichladdich, the latter three all Islay malts.

Cheers

daz

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

If Monghead meant to say "MacCallum" then it would be a cheap low-end whiskey of some sort. However, if he means "The Macallan" which is it's full name, then it is one of the finer Scotch whisky. The traditional Macallan's are sherry cask aged but the newer "Fine Oak" use different barrels and hence are less sherry influenced.

Speaking of newer whiskys, those of you who like the peaty style should give the Laphroig Quarter Cask (no age statement) a try. Apparently, in the old days, the finished whisy would be transported by horse cart to be bottled and sold. This had to done in smaller wood casks. The smaller casks, the "quarter casks", wold impart its own seasoning or maturing flavours to the whisky as it was slowly transported and eventually bottled. Laphroig has now taken a blend of their whiskys and matured them in smaller casks to recreate what those original Laphroigs might have been like. I find the Quarter Cask to be slightly sweeter in attack and less pungently peaty than the regular Laphroig 10 year-old. Its a beautiful Scotch and still has a firm, rich, peaty finish.

Cheers...............Mahmoud.

monghead

Post by monghead »

:oops: :oops:

Sorry guys,

It is the Macallan I was referring to...

A single malt or two always seems to follow a bevy of wines at the tail end of a long night. Attention to detail seems to go out the door at that stage.

Thanks for spotting the error...

Monghead.

griff

Post by griff »

monghead wrote::oops: :oops:

Sorry guys,

It is the Macallan I was referring to...

A single malt or two always seems to follow a bevy of wines at the tail end of a long night. Attention to detail seems to go out the door at that stage.

Thanks for spotting the error...

Monghead.

Don't worry, we knew who you meant. At least I did :)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

griff

Post by griff »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:Speaking of newer whiskys, those of you who like the peaty style should give the Laphroig Quarter Cask (no age statement) a try. Apparently, in the old days, the finished whisy would be transported by horse cart to be bottled and sold. This had to done in smaller wood casks. The smaller casks, the "quarter casks", wold impart its own seasoning or maturing flavours to the whisky as it was slowly transported and eventually bottled. Laphroig has now taken a blend of their whiskys and matured them in smaller casks to recreate what those original Laphroigs might have been like. I find the Quarter Cask to be slightly sweeter in attack and less pungently peaty than the regular Laphroig 10 year-old. Its a beautiful Scotch and still has a firm, rich, peaty finish.

Cheers...............Mahmoud.

I'm surprised that you find it less peaty than the 10 year old. Opposite way around for me. Sweeter I agree with however. No doubt due the fact that it is younger than the 10 year old and isn't chill filtered either.

Was at the distillery at Isla last September and bought a bottle of their limited festival bottling callled Cairdeas. You might like this one as it is lighter and less peaty than the standard Laphroig. Sort of a cross between Laphroig and Glenlivet in how fresh it is with heather and flowers etc. Might have to try another dram tonight ;)

Oh I just remembered, the 15 year old is a lot less peaty as well. Look for that one if it is around in Canada. Smoother as well due to the longer aging. Hard to find in Australia unless spending megabucks.

cheers

Carl

welch

Post by welch »

Scanlon wrote:Hi - When is this happening?

I phoned the Rob Roy and the dinner in on Thursday April 30th.

April 30th also happens to be the date of a Primo Estate master class with Joe Grilli at Edinburgh Cellars, 6:30-8:00, $25.00. [Full disclosure - my wife works for Primo]

Unfortunately for me, I can't attend either event, but I believe there is a wine lunch at the Coopers Ale House featuring Chapel Hill the same day which I can attend. Busy Thursday in Adelaide.

Sean

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

monghead wrote:

You know Partagas, you could just wonder up to the Champagne Lounge at Must for the above and more.....

For 90 bucks with 6 course meal? Few friends of my frequent the Must (never been myself) but would doubt you would get all this under a couple of green notes. Point taken though, might have to visit soon.

Sam

Mandingo

Post by Mandingo »

If by Laphroig Mahmoud meant Laphroaig then I would also commend the quarter cask - a cracker if you like the big peaty style.

Hey Glen - I saw the ad for the dinner. I was tempted but most of the whiskies are a bit run of the mill - especially with the range that Graham has at his fingertips!

It's about time he organised another tasting at the Wheatie....

John

monghead

Post by monghead »

Partagas wrote:
monghead wrote:

For 90 bucks with 6 course meal? Few friends of my frequent the Must (never been myself) but would doubt you would get all this under a couple of green notes. Point taken though, might have to visit soon.

Sam

You know, by Sydney standards this seems quite reasonable. :wink:

Now, to digress, a good cigar with the single malt...

I guess yours will be a Partagas...

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Mandingo wrote:If by Laphroig Mahmoud meant Laphroaig then I would also commend the quarter cask - a cracker if you like the big peaty style.

John

But we all knew he meant Laphroaig - I had to check the spelling when I posted before Mahmoud :lol: . The Macallan, as Mahmoud correctly noted, is the "proper" name, as in fact is The Glenlivet.

Just a trivia thing, Pernod Ricard owns a fair number of whisky distilleries/labels I've noted in my whisky-related readings. Another is that The Macallan Fine Oak series are matured in bourbon casks rather than sherry casks. It seems few whiskies are matured in new oak casks, the canny Scots long ago worked out that used casks are much cheaper :wink:

Cheers

daz

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

monghead wrote:
Partagas wrote:
monghead wrote:

Sam

Good guess. Actually, I am now more a Cohiba man these days which tends to hurt the wallet some what. Last whiskey/cigar combo I had was a Bruichladdich 34 year old matched with a Punch Punch a few weeks back. Both were exceptional.

monghead

Post by monghead »

Partagas wrote:
monghead wrote:
Partagas wrote:
monghead wrote:

Sam

Good guess. Actually, I am now more a Cohiba man these days which tends to hurt the wallet some what. Last whiskey/cigar combo I had was a Bruichladdich 34 year old matched with a Punch Punch a few weeks back. Both were exceptional.

Nicely done...