Margaret River trip

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Loztralia

Margaret River trip

Post by Loztralia »

Spent a few days down in Margaret River shortly before Easter, and as well as squeezing in a wedding I managed to make it to a fair sprinkling of wineries. Here are some thoughts - by no means even trying to be comprehensive about the offerings, just the salient points that linger in my mind. And of course this is all entirely subjective.

Cape Mentelle: Second time I've been to Cape Mentelle in the past year and the second time it's not quite lived up to expectations. I find that when I like something, like the famous Zinfandel, it's always a case of "I like this, but I don't $50 like it" and save my money for elsewhere. The CD only Sangiovese wasn't as nice as I recall either.

Flametree: Dropped in here even though it's a fair way out of the way because of all the recent Jimmy Watson-related hoo ha, and it was definitely worth it for the wines (although the CD "experience" was slightly - if not unpleasantly - amateurish). We actually slightly favoured the reserve Shiraz over the reserve Cabernet though both were excellent. Nice rose too which made it affordable to have a mixed half dozen shipped back to NSW.

Wise: As ever a great view but the wines don't stick in my memory especially. My mum liked the sparkling Shiraz a lot but it didn't do much for me. It was our first stop after the drive from Perth so I may not have been in the right mood to appreciate things fully.

Voyager: Second visit again for me and thank goodness I've "got it" at last. Took home some 2004 (I think) Cab Merlot, a 2006 Chardonnay (and I never buy chardy) and the excellent 2005 Tom Price SSB. Also tried the Tom Price Cabernet which was good but again not $120 good IMHO. Also a cracking lunch but priced to match.

Vasse Felix: Some element of bias here as it was my wedding venue but I was really impressed here. As mentioned elsewhere the 06 reds, especially the Cab Merlot, are none too flash but the new whites and old reds we had easily compensate and I actually think the 06 Cabernet is very good for the vintage (no 06 Heytesbury red made so the fruit for that went into the straight cab). I can heartily recommend the 98 Cabernet if you get a chance to try it - I favoured that over the 04 Heytesbury red when we had both at the reception (don't ask for the 04 Heytesbury, BTW - we finished it off). Recent Heytesbury whites are cracking though I'd already done my single bottle of chardy allowance so no purchases made.

Woodlands: Not much left for tasting - only the 06 Margaret really - but that was excellent. Will go back. I think the experimental Pinot is probably best left that way, however.

Happs: Disappointment of the trip by miles. They seem to be trying to do too many things - over 30 wines available for tasting - and none of what I tried was anything other than insipid. I was more impressed by the pottery and that doesn't happen often.

Lamont: Surprisingly good, especially the family reserve. Not shooting the lights out but good to try something a bit different in the form of a Swan Valley winery and I'd have been happy to take more than one bottle home.

Clairault: Another pleasant surprise in that I hadn't been wildly impressed in the past but ended up buying a case. Generally good across the range and a kind of anti-Cape Mentelle situation in that the wines at just over $20 were generally more than acceptable at the price point. Another good rose, too.

Sandalford: A chance for me to reacquaint myself with two wines for which I have a particular fondness: the reserve Shiraz and the Sandalera fortified. Despite a reasonable spend at the CD no offer of a taste of Prendiville was forthcoming - that said it was a Monday so I would like to think they just didn't have one open.
3, 65, 7, 50

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

Thanks for the notes Loz; the MR is a region I for some reason avoid like the plague. I'm not sure why, but I suspect it's my prejudice and lack of knowledge that are keeping me away

I'll have a look at some of the producers you've mentioned
The Dog of Wine

albus

Post by albus »

thanks - interesting

monghead

Post by monghead »

Rawshack wrote:Thanks for the notes Loz; the MR is a region I for some reason avoid like the plague. I'm not sure why, but I suspect it's my prejudice and lack of knowledge that are keeping me away

Loztralia,

The MR is probably the best wine region wifey and I have toured. In fact, we loved it so much, we returned 3 years in a row!

Great wine, good food, decadent accomodation, and views to die for..... Ideal really.

We can't wait to get back there.

Monghead.

Softie

Re: Margaret River trip

Post by Softie »

Additional comments in italics. I was down there 3-8 April

Wise: As ever a great view but the wines don't stick in my memory especially. My mum liked the sparkling Shiraz a lot but it didn't do much for me. It was our first stop after the drive from Perth so I may not have been in the right mood to appreciate things fully.

I also did not love the reds I tasted, but I bought the 01 and 03 Reserve CS (not on tasting) and all four of us enjoyed them.

Woodlands: Not much left for tasting - only the 06 Margaret really - but that was excellent. Will go back. I think the experimental Pinot is probably best left that way, however.

I was travelling with local wine identity (ex-Xanadu owner's son) and they opened the 07 Margaret and it was fantastic. I bought a dozen. The $20 Cab Merlot was great too at that price point. I bought 6.
Happs: Disappointment of the trip by miles. They seem to be trying to do too many things - over 30 wines available for tasting - and none of what I tried was anything other than insipid. I was more impressed by the pottery and that doesn't happen often.

Yes, ditto.
My other visits included Cullens, Eagle Vale, Churchview, and Howard Park.

Cullens were most hospitable, but would not pull out the 07 Madeline. I indulged myself and bought a 99 to 04 Madeline vertical - but it is not cheap! The 07 Mangan Merlot blend was excellent too - I think it was about $40.

Eagle Vale is run by an interesting Frenchman. He's passionate about Sav Blancs, but I liked his 05 Merlot (JH hated it) and his 03 Reserve Chardonnay. Please tell me what you think if you visit.

Churchview were very friendly and their Marsanne is inexpensive and worth trying.

At HP I bought 6 (I think Cellar Door only) Pinots from a joint venture with a French wine maker. (They maybe seeing how it goes at CD before considering wider promotion.) Also bought a white Muscat and probably should have bought six. If you try them, please let me know what you think.

monghead

Post by monghead »

I thought the Three Hills Nebbiolo and GSM were pretty smart last time I was there at Happs, but I agree, the other 20+ wines were a bore/chore.

Did either of you guys try these?

Cheers,

Monghead.

monghead

Re: Margaret River trip

Post by monghead »

Softie wrote:
At HP I bought 6 (I think Cellar Door only) Pinots from a joint venture with a French wine maker. (They maybe seeing how it goes at CD before considering wider promotion.) Also bought a white Muscat and probably should have bought six. If you try them, please let me know what you think.

I have been a fan of their CD only Carnelian. Did you try this?

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Rawshack wrote:Thanks for the notes Loz; the MR is a region I for some reason avoid like the plague. I'm not sure why, but I suspect it's my prejudice and lack of knowledge that are keeping me away

Definitely to your detriment. An excellent region, both in regards to wine quality and natural beauty. Get cracking!!!
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Softie

Happs and Howard Park Wines

Post by Softie »

G'day Monkhead,

Nope didn't try any of those three.

You know how it is, there's a limit to how many wines you can try on a day and still have some discernment left in the palate. On this our first visit to MR, we were on a mainly CS-blends theme (plus selected "pride and joys" the better hosts recommended).

We loved MR, Freo and our 36 hours in Great Southern so much we've changed our Xmas plans from Europe to WA; we'll spend most of that visit in GS's various wine areas.

Just thought: :D now I can spend six months deciding on that tour's theme and which GS wines to target.

Rgds, John

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

monghead wrote:I thought the Three Hills Nebbiolo and GSM were pretty smart last time I was there at Happs, but I agree, the other 20+ wines were a bore/chore.

Cheers,

Monghead.

I either didn't try them or they didn't stick in the memory. More likely the former - like the man said, there's only so much you can taste and when you're in a place with 30+ to choose from and you've already disliked the first half dozen the impetus to skip quite a few becomes compelling.

That said, there were several of us tasting which made for a good spread of things tried; also my best man was making a valiant attempt to get through literally everything on offer. He didn't demur from the consensus that there was nothing flash at Happs, but then again I'm not convinced he was at 100% discernment ability at the time... :roll:
3, 65, 7, 50

griff

Post by griff »

monghead wrote:I thought the Three Hills Nebbiolo and GSM were pretty smart last time I was there at Happs, but I agree, the other 20+ wines were a bore/chore.

Cheers,

Monghead.

Tried and bought the GSM (only purchase at Happs). 2004 from memory.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

monghead

Post by monghead »

Loztralia wrote:

Cheers,

Monghead.

I either didn't try them or they didn't stick in the memory. More likely the former - like the man said, there's only so much you can taste and when you're in a place with 30+ to choose from and you've already disliked the first half dozen the impetus to skip quite a few becomes compelling.

That said, there were several of us tasting which made for a good spread of things tried; also my best man was making a valiant attempt to get through literally everything on offer. He didn't demur from the consensus that there was nothing flash at Happs, but then again I'm not convinced he was at 100% discernment ability at the time... :roll:

Yeah, wifey and I made through everything on offer together. She tried all the whites and sweets, and I the reds. Additionally, I spat, not swallowed, as I had to drive. I wonder how much EtOH is absorbed through the oral mucosa with 5-10 seconds swirling though...

Monghead.

monghead

Post by monghead »

griff wrote:

Cheers,

Monghead.

cheers

Carl

Yeah, this is the vintage I got too. It was the 05 Nebbiolo though.

Monghead.

griff

Post by griff »

monghead wrote:
griff wrote:

Cheers,

Monghead.

cheers

Carl

Yeah, this is the vintage I got too. It was the 05 Nebbiolo though.

Monghead.

Didn't try this one. Next time I'm down perhaps :D

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?