Weekly drinking report ending Sunday 12 April 2009

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
dlo

Weekly drinking report ending Sunday 12 April 2009

Post by dlo »

Torb must have slept in .... or is galavanting 'round the countryside .... or something.

Remoissenet Pere and Fils Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne" 2004

Comes in a particularly thick, heavy bottle. Mid-straw colour, very good clarity and brightness. Decidedly oaky Chardonnay featuring very classy oatmeal, grilled nuts and not-so-attractive lifted, somewhat raw spicy new French oak on the nose followed by "more of the same" on the palate albeit somewhat tempered by honeyed flavours and a smooth texture that I found rather compelling. Relatively low acidity butressed with some "minerally" structural grip and pretty good length but one seems to be continually asking a very important question, "where's the fruit?". 80 points. A major disappointment. 13.5% A/V

Frederic Esmonin Gevrey-Chambertin Grand Cru "Ruchottes-Chambertin" 1999

Bought several of these last year at what I thought was a relatively good price - $90 plus shipping - this was the first bottle I've opened. Drunk over three nights, the wine sufferd virtually no degradation which is quite unusual for red Burg's open for this amount of time. A lot fall in a heap after night one.

Excellent robust, healthy ruby/plum/garnet colour with minimal rust in the edges. Heavenly bouquet of satsuma plums, fat juicy, crushed black cherries, funghi, sous bois, spice box, just the right amount of pinot sap and gorgeously-judged, superbly integrated background savoury oak. The palate is similarly endowed and wrought with piles of plump fruit, almost perfect sappiness, subtle counterbalancing oak, a silky texture and terrific mouthfeel followed by just the right amount of acidity and grip, presenting an even keel and maintaining freshness and focus. The wine reveals an eerie delineation - seemingly elegant and understated; so easy to drink but long and deceptively seductive, multilayered and opulent. A most lovely Grand Cru! 92 points. Drink now -2014. 13.5% A/V.

Hugel Gewurtztraminer "Hugel" Vendange Tardive 1997

Darkish burnished gold with enormous thick legs evident on the inside of the glass. Just incredible viscosity. Jumps right out at you screaming "lychee, lychee, lychee". Add copious quantities of honey, rose petal, Asian spices, cloves, apricots and you have one of the biggest, thickest, sweetest V.T's I've encountered over my 25 year "serious" wine drinking experience. Definitely not for the faint-hearted, this demonstratively rich and bold effort possesses just enough acidity to maintain equilibrium on a super-intense, almost clotted finish. I enjoyed this wine over three days (no cork back in) with little change in its demeanour. Sure to have its detractors, I thought the wine quite excellent but definitely a drink now proposition although I've seen these Alsacian late-picked wines hold at this level for many years. 90 points. 13% A/V.

Penfolds Reserve Bin 05A Chardonnay 2005

This rather expensive (at retail) wine was picked up, quite recently, at just over half its recommended retail price on the secondary market. Sealed with a screwcap this wine is a reductive nightmare - no colour development with horrible overt hair oil, charred wood and struck match on both nose and palate. Did not budge with hours of breathing. Left out overnight, I'll come back to it today and report back if there's any improvement. NR - faulty wine.
Last edited by dlo on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,

David

TORB

Post by TORB »

Thanks David.

Late night; wanted to finish a damn book! Dogs got me up at 5.30 but I went back to bed. :oops:
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

swanning it with some kiwi classic labels from classic vintages :lol:

98 Martinborough Vineyards Reserve Pinot Noir
94 Goldwater Waiheke Cabernet Merlot

I couldnt get over how youthful the goldwater was. Easily another decade+ left in this wine, no where near its peak. As close to immortal as a kiwi red gets. Shame it was my only one. Very classical, very varietal - extremely impressive

The mbv was just stunning, every sip better than the previous. Super structure and depth of flavour with the typical red plum mbvr flavour profile

Gotta love it when you raid the top shelf!!

C

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Wondered about that when I got up this morning David :) Used to Ric's roll call.

Quick list and vibes, nothing more.

Brown Brothers Prosecco- fine for what it is, nothing exciting.

Leeuwin Art Series Riesling 2007- a little underwhelming for me.

Casa Santos Lima Quinta De Bons-ventos- not sure of vintage, good for a $10 import. Brett or something like it helped. Much lighter than the brown label (this was blue).

Hardys Chronicles Chardonnay Pinot Gris 2008- I could drink this in summer, its okay. Not really that familiar with white blends, not my thing.

Barwang Hilltops/Tumburumba Chardonnay 2006 - very fruit sweet on opening, thankfully settled down a bit after awhile. Lowish alcohol- 7.7 drinks in 750mls. I only note that as the fruit may have had me guessing it was higher. Bit obvious with cream and ripe peach, rockmelon and general tropical fruit. Nice spicy oak. Won't be buying it again, even at $17.

Tar & Roses Shiraz 2007- not as enjoyable as last time but still excellent value. On the savoury side for me, which I liked.

The Noble Prankster Chardonnay Semillon 2008- really liked this sticky. Less residual. Good acid on finish. 14% on bottle, 13.5% on website. Probably the most fun wine of the week.

cheers

jeremy
Last edited by jeremy on Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
As always, IMVHO. And Cheers
jeremy- http://winewilleatitself.blogspot.com/

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Yesterday afternoon I tried a range of wines from Pirramimma at an instore, and the following were my brief impressions:

2008 Pirramimma Sauvignon Blanc (screwcap): Kiwi-style asparagus and sweat; interestingly only 9.5% but very dry with little RS – the presenter mentioned it went through an reverse osmosis machine, which was the most interesting thing about it.

2008 Cleanskin Viognier Semillon Sauvignon Blanc (screwcap): Grassy, fruit salad style, mainly pears – made as a quaffer for drinking now, and good at that.

2006 Pirramimma Stock's Hill Chardonnay (screwcap): Smells like vomit; the palate’s fairly lightweight, simple stonefruit and short but at least it’s not like spew.

2005 Pirramimma Stock's Hill Shiraz (screwcap): Very dry and medium weight but drinking very well at the moment, with inky plums and fine tannins. A very good quaffing style, and will hold a few more years.

2006 Pirramimma Stock's Hill Cabernet Sauvignon (screwcap): Decent quaffer at best, a green/leafy nose, and a bitter finish on the palate (typical of 2006).

2004 Pirramimma White Label Old Bush Vine Grenache (screwcap): Excellent with earthy raspberries, a little meaty with some liquorice – a huge step up with much better weight and length than either of the Stocks Road wines. Outstanding value.

2005 Pirramimma White Label Cabernet Sauvignon (cork): This is really good gear, lots of minty, sweet Cabernet fruit backed by excellent oak, the mid-palate and finish full of stuffing. The best White Label in the line up.

2005 Pirramimma White Label Shiraz (cork): Sweet cherries and liquorice, but the palate’s short and too hot with obvious minty alcohol on the finish. Disappointing after the previous two wines.

2005 Pirramimma White Label Petit Verdot (cork): Looks soft and more approachable compared to the 2002 at the same stage; the fruit’s sweeter/not as minty/savoury, but the grainy finish still has the length and feel of the best vintages. Excellent.

2004 Pirramimma ACJ Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz Petit Verdot (screwcap): Beautiful, complex wine with earthy fruit and cigar box nuances, a soft, velvety palate and excellent length. As good as it is I didn’t think it was quite worth paying over twice as much as the straight Cabernet, Petit Verdot or three times the Grenache though.

2004 Pirramimma White Label Tannat (cork): Horsy/leathery nose with cloves/medicinal characters; despite the funky characters on the nose, the palate has the massive tannins I expect from this variety, the type you scape off your cheeks and tongue. Not bad.

2002 Pirramimma Vintage Fortified Grenache & 2005 Late Harvest Riesling: Didn’t try either this time.

Cheers,
Ian
Last edited by n4sir on Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

dlo

Post by dlo »

TORB wrote:Thanks David.

Late night; wanted to finish a damn book! Dogs got me up at 5.30 but I went back to bed. :oops:

Sorry for stealing your thunder .... won't do it again ... promise. :wink: :lol:
Cheers,

David

griff

Post by griff »

A few people came over for dinner on Friday. I'll write up the wines I found interesting.

2005 Schloss Vollrads Kabinett halbtrocken
AP 2707400806. Not much on the nose. Sulfur performing its thing no doubt. Nicely balanced palate of sweetness and acid with a touch of spritz. Quite weighty and I was thinking this was a very good New world copy as I didn't see the minerality I thought would be present. Good wine but the last bottle was better. Don't know if this will develop.

2000 Alain Graillot Saint Joseph
Purple colour. Nose of cloves and savoury bacony goodness. Some good brett here. Very stern structured palate with the fruit hiding. The next day the palate turned to the dark side with iodine and metallic finish apparent. Oh well. Underneath I suspect there was a good wine.

2007 Doennhoff Oberhaeuser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett
ap 77530100908 Now this had more of everything compared to the Vollrads. More nose with pineapple and red apples in the mix but also more sulfur. Weightier palate with more sweetness but also more acidity. Very good wine but further potential is there.

2002 Domaine Dujac Morey St Denis
Brown colour with red glints of moderate intensity. Smelled like a nice chinese black tea with tannins and some smoke. Fruit fully resolved on the palate and on a gentle slide towards senescence. Oak very present. Couldn't believe this was an 02! Drink up.

1995 Howard Park cabernet merlot
Dark intense red with no paling at the rim. Nose of black fruits with milk chocolate and perhaps some minty capsicum cabernet. Very ripe grapes and warmer climate? Surely this is a big ripe SA Shiraz-cabernet blend? Very young. Maybe a 5 year old Godolphin? Very surprised when unveiled. Since when was chocolate a flavour profile of Great Southern? How did this 1995 look, smell and taste like a wine less than half its age? Excellent wine!

1992 Chateai de la Roulerie Les Aunis Coteaux de Layon
Glowing Yellow gold. Curious mix of creme brulee and marmalade on the nose. Quixotic palate of dark caramelized toffee and custard as well as tart acidity. Sweet and sour. Reminded me of a tarte tatin. Was very similar to the quince we ate this with but matched the Chai icecream nicely. Good wine and thank you to the person that sold this at auction.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

monghead

Post by monghead »

griff wrote:2002 Domaine Dujac Morey St Denis
Brown colour with red glints of moderate intensity. Smelled like a nice chinese black tea with tannins and some smoke. Fruit fully resolved on the palate and on a gentle slide towards senescence. Oak very present. Couldn't believe this was an 02! Drink up.

1995 Howard Park cabernet merlot
Dark intense red with no paling at the rim. Nose of black fruits with milk chocolate and perhaps some minty capsicum cabernet. Very ripe grapes and warmer climate? Surely this is a big ripe SA Shiraz-cabernet blend? Very young. Maybe a 5 year old Godolphin? Very surprised when unveiled. Since when was chocolate a flavour profile of Great Southern? How did this 1995 look, smell and taste like a wine less than half its age? Excellent wine!

cheers

Carl

Carl,

Nice notes, thanks.

How was the Dujac stored? Sounds like it could be faulty...

The '95 Cullen and Moss Wood Cabs are sensational. Must seek the Howard Park out...

Cheers,

Monghead.

dlo

Post by dlo »

Carl,

Don't remember if you recall the 1995 Howard Park being panned by JH and JO for excessive VA. I drank heaps of these for a decade and probably copped 1 or 2 with a slight problem - the rest quite excellent and because of the bad press, an absolute nick on the secondary market - paid around 30 bucks a bottle.
Cheers,

David

griff

Post by griff »

Monghead, The Dujac wasn't my wine so storage unknown. The person has great cellaring conditions but I know not when he acquired the wine. Didn't taste faulty, just old and a little tired.

dlo, yes I do remember the VA saga. Campbell also found VA when he tried. Was a very surprising unveiling! Looked for it when shown the wine but simply couldn't see it. Good to know that it only struck some of your bottles so this must have been a good 'un :) Funny thing is that this 95 tastes so different in my mind to the 94 which is simply classical cabernet. Thinking about it a little more and thinking how intense and ripe the Scotsdale's can be perhaps it shouldn't be so surprising.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

oakboy

Post by oakboy »

Seppelts Mt Ida 2005 shiraz
Loved this wine, was big in all aspects, plenty of coffee, mocha with that rich heathcote dark berry fruit, just jumping out of the glass. Excellent

Seppelts Mt Ida 2004 shiraz
Had this the next night after the 05 to see where it was at, a little more closed and restrained style, and needed a lot more air to come out of its shell, but still good. However at present i would easily pick the 05 over it.

De Bortoli Reserve Syrah 2005
Had tasted this last year at the end of a wine tasting when my palate was shot and i was talking more than tasting :roll: but i did think at the time that this and the 2006 version were in the top 5 out of about 60 plus wines i tasted. On the palate very rewarding, the structure of this is for the long haul, and i opened this wine 2 days ago. The nose is a little like the fruits of the forest and its still opening up nicey in the glass today. Would like to see it again in 5 years. But it is a very different style of oz shiraz.

Cheers all

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Don't remember if you recall the 1995 Howard Park being panned by JH and JO for excessive VA. I drank heaps of these for a decade and probably copped 1 or 2 with a slight problem - the rest quite excellent and because of the bad press, an absolute nick on the secondary market - paid around 30 bucks a bottle.

ive had 2 bottles of this. one was ok..a good solid "$30 cab" i thought. one was disgusting and ended up going down the sink it was so foul.

i wouldnt be rushing out playing russian roulette with this with any of my money

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

John #11

Post by John #11 »

2005 Amon-Ra Shiraz
After a decent 8 hour decant, this was in a deeper hole than the LNP.
A brilliant crimson purple, looking very young
Intense aromas of sweet violets, plums, briar and charcuterie, but also some nail varnish, and charry oak.
A modest palate of bbq meat, blood, marrow and dark fruit, a little vanilla choc, medium length savoury finish, not a lot like the big Barossa red it is supposed to be, more elegant and cedary, without any noticeable tannic nature.
Not much more to be said really, just a little disappointment, I hope more time will heal my others.

2006 O'leary Walker Clare / McLaren Vale Shiraz
Excellent value, an easy drinking style with very good fruit and balance. Lashings of Mclaren Vale chocolate, plenty of Clare pepper and spice, and virile tannins, perhaps just lacking a little in structure, drinks just like a $20 shiraz, so no problems. Would make a really nice house quaffer.

Pelican

Post by Pelican »

Looking forward to the live coverage of " the Hell of the North " bike race on SBS tonight so keeping it light on the alcohol this evening .....

2004 Clover Hill Brut : diam cork - lovely sweet belch of richness on opening - high quality bubbles , fruit tingly palate , good length , good match with salmon blinis. Also recently had lovely bottles of aged Tassie sparklings that were rich and complex , viz. 1996 Chromy and 2000 Kreglinger.

2004 Mount Pleasant Elizabeth Hunter Semillon : yay ! now under stelvin. Bit spritzy on opening , perhaps tad short compared to normal ? or is it in an awkward juvenile period ? Still liked it and admirably still just 10.5% alc.

1983 Metala Shiraz Cabernet : I recall the excellent 1971 had last year. This was pretty good too - solid brick red colour , lovely aged nose and palate a la older Penfold's Reds. Wonder if the current higher alcohol release ( 14.5% cf to this 12 % ) would age as well ???

qwertt

Post by qwertt »

Some wines from the last month

Delatite Dead Man's Hill Gewurtztraminer 2005 - a reasonable wine, but a little disappointing and coarse

Ferngrove Cossack Riesling 2002 - wonderful wine, drinking excellently now, but possibly with some development left

Jacob's Creek Centenary Hills Shiraz 2002 - Disappointing - possibly in a hole or cork driven variation. Initially very dull on the nose, but once it opened up it was angular, with obtrusive alcohol

Leasingham Bin 61 Shiraz 1998 - lovely wine - full bodied, well-developed and full flavoured

Lindeman's Pyrus Red Blend 2001 - an interesting wine - excellent on the 1st night but became porty on next two nights - but still drinkable

Seppelt Chalambar Shiraz 2000 - This was a great wine - elegant, smooth and with a little sweetness

St Hallett Faith Shiraz 2002 - A great wine drinking beautifully now

Vasse Felix Shiraz 2000 - Another great wine. Beautifully balanced and at its peak

Warrabilla Reserve Durif 2004 - an interesting and fully developed wine. As with all Warrabillas that I have had, excellently balanced and without the alcohol standing out.

TORB

Post by TORB »

dlo wrote:
TORB wrote:Thanks David.

Sorry for stealing your thunder .... won't do it again ... promise. :wink: :lol:

Anyone is welcome to start this thread. I don't own it. 8) Just so long as there is "Sunday" in the heading all will be fine.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

dlo

Post by dlo »

Fixed
Cheers,

David

Attila

Post by Attila »

jeremy wrote:Leeuwin Art Series Riesling 2007- a little underwhelming for me.

cheers

jeremy

It is in a fact a terrifyingly simple and ordinary $3 wine (that sells for $21)I also had the luck to try.
"(Wine) information is only as valuable as its source" DB

Attila

Post by Attila »

oakboy wrote:De Bortoli Reserve Syrah 2005
Would like to see it again in 5 years. But it is a very different style of oz shiraz.

Cheers all

Indeed it is different, I'd like to call it ordinary and overpriced and the difference between you and me is that I wouldn't want to see it again in 5 years time but at least the 2006 is better.
"(Wine) information is only as valuable as its source" DB

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Attila
jeremy wrote:
Leeuwin Art Series Riesling 2007- a little underwhelming for me.

cheers

jeremy

It is in a fact a terrifyingly simple and ordinary $3 wine (that sells for $21)I also had the luck to try.

Nice to know someone else thought that. Friends brought it over and I struggled to be kind, but my real impression was much like yours.

mkcoleman

Post by mkcoleman »

Jacob's Creek Centenary Hills Shiraz 2002 - Disappointing - possibly in a hole or cork driven variation. Initially very dull on the nose, but once it opened up it was angular, with obtrusive alcohol

Must have been a bad bottle as I had one a few months back and it had a beautiful nose, I could have sniffed it all day long. I am very happy to have another 5 bottles in the cellar
"Seek to understand, before being understood" Stephen Covey

JG

Post by JG »

Had couple nice wines with easter dinner. First one out my cellar, second kindly provided by in laws.

Voyager Chardonnay 2004
Approaching golden in colour. Reasonably oaky but good quality & nicely rounded and enjoyable. Palate was nice and bright. A very good but not excellent wine.

Peter Lehmann Mentor Cab Sauv 2004
Closed to begin with, could have decanted earlier. Opened up quite a bit by 2nd half of bottle by which time had became very enjoyable. Reasonably perfumed nose, deep rich fruit and thick powdery just approachable tannins cascading off the tongue. Seems would appreciate 4+ years of cellaring. Classy wine, in time will be excellent. Extremely enjoyable now, just give a good decant.

qwertt

Post by qwertt »

mkcoleman wrote:

Must have been a bad bottle as I had one a few months back and it had a beautiful nose, I could have sniffed it all day long. I am very happy to have another 5 bottles in the cellar

Good. Because I have another five bottles too :!:

via collins

Post by via collins »

I'll join the JCCHS 2002 ruck as I'm about to open the last of 6 tonight.

It's been a rocky road throughout the 6 to be sure, to be sure. When it's good it's glorious, but I've had two extremely odd characters - nasty odour on opening. The last 2 I've opened have been big crowd pleasers. Certainly worth opening a good 2 hours in advance, I'm nervous about tonight, but reckon it'll go okay.

Also this Easter, 2001 Voyager Estate Cabernet Merlot which was austere, but in a very good way - chocolate, pencil shavings, and a lovely long finish.

Katnook Estate 2002 Cabernet Sauvignon was a bit all over the place. Gorgeous on the nose, but unfocussed on the palate. Probably should have drunk late at night rather than sunny afternoon.

ross67

Post by ross67 »

Chestnut Grove Verdelho 2007: Crisp and light WA white.

Penfolds Bin 389 1996: Such hype about a wine i've wanted to try for a long time......it really didn't do a huge amount for me....sure a nice aged well balanced red but really i was underwhelmed.

Wirra Wirra Woodhenge Shiraz 2007: A young rich ripe McLaren Vale shiraz and for me although very different styled wines clearly outpointed the 389. Most agreed in our group apart from a cab sav nut!!

Orlando Semillon Sauternes 1988: For a 20yr+ stickie it was still going strong...great for a $12 purchase

ross

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Good Easter drinks

Leo Buring Leonay Riesling 2005 - excellent, in steeley and focussed form. Very good. Maybe WOTW!

Wynns John Riddoch Cabernet 1994 - full powered Coonawarra, lots of chocolate and mint, nice, still doing well, will last.

Leasingham Classic Clare Cabernet 1996 - terrific, shifted into some secondary development but still full of fruit and tannin, and loads of cigarry, chocolatey character.

Ashton Hills Reserve Pinot Noir 2004
- superb - pinot of the weekend (POTW), musk, zingy pepper, plums. Great wine and made the next look competent only...

Bouchard Pere et Fils Chateau du Beaune 1er Cru 2005
Very good but a bit clinical, almost new-world like. In top shape and will continue to do well but hardly fascinating.

Pol Roger NV
Great, one of my favourite NVs. Zingy, yeast, lemon, very fresh.

Olivier Leflaive Puligny Montrachet (village) 1999
Past it. A shadow of what was probably a decent wine a few years ago. Honey, golden syrupish. Flabby and oily.

Penfolds Eden Valley Aged Riesling 2001
Past it, fruit lacking, quite spiritous.

Leo Buring Clare Valley Special Release Riesling 1999
In very good form, quite yellow and developed but still good fruit. Lots of petrol and honey and a ton of Bickfords lime.

Cape Mentelle Chardonnay 2006
Excellent. Textural, oaky, nutty, melons, the whole experience.

Golding The Leap Sauvignon Blanc 2007

Pretty good - pungent and flavoursome and a slightly bitter finish but doing okay.

Grosset SSB 2006
Very nice - Semillon quite evident and that part showing signs of some marmaladey richness but otherwise very lemony and fresh.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

monghead

Post by monghead »

Only 2 to report...

2005 Henschke Mount Edelstone Shiraz- I have never experienced this before, but the nose had a distinct tuna character, the canned tuna variety.... Very odd. Everyone agreed. Can't say I enjoyed it for this reason...

2005 Teusner Avatar GSM- Delicious.

Cheers,

Monghead.

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Monghead wrote

Only 2 to report...

2005 Henschke Mount Edelstone Shiraz- I have never experienced this before, but the nose had a distinct tuna character, the canned tuna variety.... Very odd. Everyone agreed. Can't say I enjoyed it for this reason...

2005 Teusner Avatar GSM- Delicious.

What a shame about the 05 Edelstone. Just the bottle I hope. Love this wine. Oh, and the 05 Teusner Avatar is, as you said, delicious. Have you tried the 06 yet?
As always, IMVHO. And Cheers
jeremy- http://winewilleatitself.blogspot.com/

Bick

Post by Bick »

I had two Coonawarra shirazes to compare and contrast:

Penley Estate Hyland Shiraz 06 - good, expansive, ripe but not overly so, cooler climate style perhaps. I liked this.
Wynns Coonawarra Shiraz 07 - this was fine, but not quite up to the Penley for interest; slightly heavier, coarser, less refined. But this is being picky, its pretty good for the price.

We also went to Waiheke for a walk/lunch, and stopped by Cable Bay Vineyard for a bite to eat and relax with the paper. Lovely views and relaxing spot, but the wines on offer in the tasting room are underwhelming for me. Fortunately, we didn't go there specifically for the vino.

Cable Bay Sauvignon Blanc 08 - ok, bit muted on the finish, but reasonable, best white in their standard range; Marlborough
Cable Bay Riesling 07 - ordinary, some citrous, just off dry, no real interest or character coming through; Marlborough
Cable Bay Gewurztraminer 08 - some varietal character, lots of lychee, but no real finish, bit dull; Marlborough
Cable Bay Chardonnay 07 - moderate oak, no mlf, modern in style but lacked substance; Waiheke fruit
Cable Bay Rose 08 - pretty dry, not bad, merlot based; not for me; Waiheke fruit
Cable Bay Pinot Noir 06 - I didn't expect much, but this actually wasn't at all bad; Brancott fruit (Marlborough)
Cable Bay Five Hills Merlot/Malbec/Cab 06 - Waiheke fruit, oaky, and (so it seemed to me) full of Brett; very stinky - couldn't really drink it.

One other thing worth mentioning about this place: $5 for tasting (7 wines) - I don't mind this too much, but they don't offer their reserve wines for tasting at all. Reserves are, however, available for $18/glass in the wine bar next door! A complete rip off. Still, like I say, its a lovely spot and the cheese plate was ok and went fine with a glass of their pinot.

A couple other sundries:

Taittinger NV - lovely, but then I'm sucker for champagne and poor at discriminating between them;
Fromm Vineyard Riesling Spatlese 07 - super low alc wine (7.5%) - fresh, sharp, sweet and extremely soft and fruity - classy stuff, although tbh, I think it would benefit from the extra weight just a touch more alcohol would give it. Ratchet it up to 9% and I'd be in riesling heaven.
Cheers,
Mike