Port and Liqueur Port whats the difference

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
JamieH

Port and Liqueur Port whats the difference

Post by JamieH »

Can anyone help with a site that can explain the difference between these styles, i am still confused after all these years of drinking the stuff. tried goggle but even that is no good. :?

Cheers

Jamie
Lets just say I have never had a wine I've hated, but there are some I would rather not taste again....

griff

Re: Port and Liqueur Port whats the difference

Post by griff »

JamieH wrote:Can anyone help with a site that can explain the difference between these styles, i am still confused after all these years of drinking the stuff. tried goggle but even that is no good. :?

Cheers

Jamie

No difference really. Liqueur port is a term that suggests a sweeter version but it certainly isn't a definite thing.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Eboracum

Post by Eboracum »

I've never heard about liqueur port during 50 years of wine drinking.

The important distinctions are between tawny, Colheita, ruby, LBV and vintage.
Eboracum

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

I think liqueur port is an Australian invention, so the Portugese descriptors probably dont make sense in this environment.

Carl is right, port or liqueur port are both 'standard' ports in the Australian context. I think the 'liqueur' part might reflect the spirit used for the fortification process - maybe brandy spirit, maybe distillation product, but the liqueur term is predominantly a value judgement on the quality of the distillate and therefore the final product.

And, of course, all producers tell all of the truth all of the time :lol:

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.