Italian Red - Any Suggestions ?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Maroon&Blue

Italian Red - Any Suggestions ?

Post by Maroon&Blue »

Hi all

Would like to try some Italian style red.........not being very familiar with labels & varieties etc. what are some good ones to start with?

Around the $20 mark for a starter!!

Have had Chianti Classico & did enjoy the style, especially in warmer season.

Cheers & thanks for any useful input.

Ronaldo
Wine improves with age....the older I get, the better I like it!

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Carpineto Chianti Classico 2006 is about $25ish and is excellent value. Pretty widely available too, just look for the cavalieresque dude on the label.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

JamieH

Post by JamieH »

tried and tested in last six months range between $20-$30

Leone de castris zinfandel IGT 2007
Burchino chianti superiore 2005
antinori Peppoli chianti classico 2005
illuminati Illico (only $15) 2007
Agree with Davo the carpineto range is good value, very traditional style wines.
Donnafugata rosso di sicllia sedara nero d'alvola 2007

enjoy

Jamie
Lets just say I have never had a wine I've hated, but there are some I would rather not taste again....

bob parsons

Post by bob parsons »

Maybe look for a Gattinara, some real gems out there.

GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

JamieH wrote:tried and tested in last six months range between $20-$30

Leone de castris zinfandel IGT 2007
Burchino chianti superiore 2005
antinori Peppoli chianti classico 2005
illuminati Illico (only $15) 2007
Agree with Davo the carpineto range is good value, very traditional style wines.
Donnafugata rosso di sicllia sedara nero d'alvola 2007

enjoy

Jamie

Ana donnafugata Illuminati montepulciano d'abbrusso. vgvfm, imvho

Graham
Chardonnay: A drink you have when there is no RED wine, the beer hasn't arrived and the water may be polluted

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

To be honest, $20 isn't going to provide you with much choice. I tend to find that Italy, despite being the 2nd largest producer in the world, can be something of a minefield, especially around the lower end of the spectrum. I don't think anything is as variable in quality as budget Italian wine.

In the (very) rare occasions I buy Italian I get my Johnson out, wave it around proudly and buckle up to pay a bit more.

Otherwise, Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, Barbera D'Alba and Valpolicella (more learned posters than I can provide some producers names) might be worth a look

Good luck and I'd be interested to hear how you get on
The Dog of Wine

Eboracum

Post by Eboracum »

AUD 20 is about €11, I think, and even here that does not go very far in Italian wine, let alone once the bottle has travelled round the world and has incurred extra taxes and mark-ups.

I have two regulars under €9 but I don't know if they get to Australia. They are -

Chianti Colli Senesi from Farnetella
Montepulciano d'Abruzzo from Masciarelli (there is a quaffable own brand Md'A in our local supermarket for €3.90)

IMO, the best Italian red wines are made from Nebbiolo in Piedmont (Barolo, Barbaresco, Gattinara) and from Sangiovese in Tuscany (Chianti Classico, Brunello, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano and a number of IGTs).

(WARNING: Montepulciano in Abruzzo and Marche is a grape variety but in Tuscany it is a village where the wines are made from Sangiovese.)

Decent Barolo and Barbaresco starts here at about €25-30 and can reach several hundreds. Chianti Classico starts cheaper but the lowest priced really good one is, IMO, the basic CC from Fèlsina (c. €15). Brunello starts around €30 and can also reach into the hundreds; there is a baby Brunello made with less strict production rules for drinking young called Rosso di Montalcino starting around €12; some of these are very good.

In Piedmont there are some attractive wines made for drinking young from the Dolcetto and Barbera grapes starting here around €12. Some Barbera cuvées are getting more ambitious built on steroids with new oak ageing; they cost more and IMO are not worth it.
Eboracum