Penfolds - Prices later this year???

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Old Salt

Penfolds - Prices later this year???

Post by Old Salt »

I bought a few six packs of Penfold's current releases (while on special) and when I went back to the same store to get more, my friendly wine advisor told me not to bother because they will be on special again later this year, at lower prices.

Has anyone heard of or received similar advice??? Given the economic situation I am inclined to believe that might well be the case, especially around the upper end of the market. For the time being, my c/card stays in my wallet.

JG

Post by JG »

I missed out on specials too.

DMs was expensive last weekend, $48 odd for 389. I gave the higher prices the steer, as figured they will come on special sooner or later, especially with the recession, massive production and I doubt they are selling much offshore. I asked the pimply faced kid at DMs if he thought the same, and he had no opinion/ no idea of course

If doesn't come on special, will pick some up from friendly e-tailor

JamieH

Post by JamieH »

I work in retail, DM's, i think we had the Penfolds on special for about a month, so i don't expect it to be on again for at least a month. problem is pretty much nothing over $20 is selling in wine, so putting Pennies on special negates any profit after advertising, as you have to cut the margins to close to cost for anyone to buy it, eg JG saying $48 is expensive, thats actually 10 - 15% below what would be called normal retail margain. but thats my opinon, as i believe the aussie wine buyer has never had it better and should give penfolds a message about mediocrity and boycott their wines, theres just so much more out there people just have to get off the highway and take a few back roads.

Jamie
Lets just say I have never had a wine I've hated, but there are some I would rather not taste again....

JamieH

Post by JamieH »

I asked the pimply faced kid at DMs if he thought the same, and he had no opinion/ no idea of course

jeez, why not, for a joke, go in to Coles and ask the guy packing the shelves what opinion/idea he has on the difference between, say black and white truffle, or milk from different states or dairys and how the effects of government policy will effect those prices. How much of an opinion of anything did you have at 20?
Lets just say I have never had a wine I've hated, but there are some I would rather not taste again....

griff

Post by griff »

JamieH wrote:
I asked the pimply faced kid at DMs if he thought the same, and he had no opinion/ no idea of course

jeez, why not, for a joke, go in to Coles and ask the guy packing the shelves what opinion/idea he has on the difference between, say black and white truffle, or milk from different states or dairys and how the effects of government policy will effect those prices. How much of an opinion of anything did you have at 20?

Plenty of opinions at age 20. Not all of them right ;)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

griff wrote:
JamieH wrote:

Plenty of opinions at age 20. Not all of them right ;)

cheers

Carl

I'm not young enough to know everything.
"It is very hard to make predictions, especially about the future." Samuel Goldwyn