monthly 1996

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
monghead

Post by monghead »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:Monghead,

Your description of the '96 Eileen Hardy Shiraz resembles my recollection of what the '90 Eileen Hardy was like in 2002/3. It too was clumsy, sweet and jammy, with little or no mature elements. Last month I had another bottle of the '90 and found it to be quite enjoyable, now only slightly sweet, it was better balanced and showed every sign of further evolution. May I suggest patience for the '96 Eileen Hardy.

Cheers..............Mahmoud

Hmmm,

On this account and TORB's recent tasting of this wine in another thread, I might hold onto my other 3 bottles and magnum.

Thanx.

monghead

Post by monghead »

A truly memorable anniversary for many reasons, including the vino...

1996 Dom Perignon

This wine has always been a joy to savour, and we had not enjoyed it for a couple of years now. I still remember vividly a bottle I shared with wifey atop a monastery turned B & B in Assisi (Italy) on our honeymoon, over-looking this quaint beautiful town. Over the last few years, my recollections of this wine have been that of a great wine, drunk at exquisite moments of our lives, thus it is difficult to judge if it was the wine or the moment that heightened vinous enjoyment.

Nothing special this time other than our monthly event, and I can truly now state that this is a sensational champagne. Drinking this wine IS the event.

Fine persistent gentle bubbles continuously waft a fragrant nose of nashi pears, vanilla bean, and a hint of lime. Each taste led to an explosion of concentrated, complex flavours involving pears, lime tart, caramel, honey and at times hints of rose-water / Turkish delight. There was haunting persistence after a bread and butter like buttery, yeasty finish. Overall, though this was a tremendously full and complex champagne, it was exquisitely delicate and feminine. Seductive may be a better word.

I am thanking my lucky stars I went out on a limb and purchased a full case of this stuff. Many, many years ahead for this champagne, which I think has been better and better each time I have tried it. The 96 Salon and Krug have a lot to live up to!!!

1996 Cullen Cabernet Sauvignon

Overshadowed by the Dom, but by no means left in the dust.

Deeply rich purple, with some bricking on the edges, this wine opened with rich aromas of currants, violets, blood plums, cigar and tar. The palate was full and concentrated, with good fruit, savoury leather / tar notes, and creamy mocha oak. The finish was a little warm though and the tannins firm. Still has years ahead of it.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Monghead,

Nice one on the Dom. I bought the best part of 3 dozen of this and am down to the last 12. It drank so well when young. Thankfully I put the remainder in storage in Sydney, so I can't get at them. It truly is a superb champagne and I actually prefer it to the Salon and Krug (I prefer a bit of malo).

Cheers

Mike

monghead

Post by monghead »

January marked the 150th month wifey and I have partaken in this little ritual, and we wanted something special…

1996 Domaine Armand Rousseau Chambertin

Instantly recognisable label, wifey liked how it wasn’t “modern contemporary”, “neat”, or “simple”. I was more interested with what was in the bottle…

Cork extruded effortlessly by sommelier, and decanted at beginning of service. Had a little glass by me from the beginning, when aromatics leapt from the glass, but the palate was tight and unyielding. At the 2 hour mark however, this wine transformed into one of the best wines I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy.

The colour was a translucent Ribena-like hue, with minimal bricking at the edges. Aromas of sour cherries, violets, thyme and hints of pencil shavings flooded the glass initially, but as time passed, seductive aromas of walnuts and cigar-box like characteristics emerged. The palate eventually opened up with a myriad of flavours including cherries, blood plums, rhubarb, earthy mushroom undergrowth, and truffle. This wine had a depth of flavour which was astounding given its medium weight, and it had a voluptuous, silky, velvety mouth-feel. This may well be vinous heaven.

Cheers,

Monghead.
Last edited by monghead on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

griff

Post by griff »

monghead wrote:January marked the 150th month wifey and I have partaken in this little ritual, and we wanted something special…

Instantly recognisable label, wifey liked how it wasn’t “modern contemporary”, “neat”, or “simple”. I was more interested with what was in the bottle…

Cork extruded effortlessly by sommelier, and decanted at beginning of service. Had a little glass by me from the beginning, when aromatics leapt from the glass, but the palate was tight and unyielding. At the 2 hour mark however, this wine transformed into one of the best wines I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy.

The colour was a translucent Ribena-like hue, with minimal bricking at the edges. Aromas of sour cherries, violets, thyme and hints of pencil shavings flooded the glass initially, but as time passed, seductive aromas of walnuts and cigar-box like characteristics emerged. The palate eventually opened up with a myriad of flavours including cherries, blood plums, rhubarb, earthy mushroom undergrowth, and truffle. This wine had a depth of flavour which was astounding given its medium weight, and it had a voluptuous, silky, velvety mouth-feel. This may well be vinous heaven.

Cheers,

Monghead.

The descriptors almost sounds like a Northern Rhone syrah! I suspect it is the type of pinot that I enjoy. Glad it was a great bottle :)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

monghead

Post by monghead »

griff wrote:
monghead wrote:January marked the 150th month wifey and I have partaken in this little ritual, and we wanted something special…

Cheers,

Monghead.

The descriptors almost sounds like a Northern Rhone syrah! I suspect it is the type of pinot that I enjoy. Glad it was a great bottle :)

cheers

Carl

You know Carl, funny you should say that. I just realised, of my sizeable collection of 96's, I don't think I have one from Rhone...

How was that vintage in Rhone? Could you make any suggestions of Rhones from 96 to look out for?

Cheers

Momnghead

griff

Post by griff »

monghead wrote:
griff wrote:

Cheers,

Monghead.

cheers

Carl

You know Carl, funny you should say that. I just realised, of my sizeable collection of 96's, I don't think I have one from Rhone...

How was that vintage in Rhone? Could you make any suggestions of Rhones from 96 to look out for?

Cheers

Monghead

Haven't tried many 1996's (only tried the Beaucastel of those I am recommending) so will have to go with published opinion.

Was a good vintage in N. Rhone and Good to Very good in S. Rhone. Not a great vintage like Bordeaux or Burgundy though.

N. Rhones to look for are Chave, the Guigal La La's and the best most people say is the Chapoutier Ermitage. The value pick would be the Jamet Cote Rotie it seems. Colombo seems to have done well this year as well.

S.Rhone is a little easier and the top CDPs are decent. Names such as Rayas, Beaucastel and Mordoree Reine Bois as well as Chapoutier Barbe Rac being the value pick. Château de Saint-Cosme Gigondas Valbelle is also well regarded in most vintages.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

monghead

Post by monghead »

Thanks Carl, will keep an eye out for these at auction.

monghead

Post by monghead »

1996 Leeuwin Estate Art Series Chardonnay

Deep golden colour, and noticeably viscous on pouring. On swirling, coated the edges of the glass, and unctuously meandered its way down like a sticky would. Loads of almonds, nougat, and a hint of toffee was found on the nose. The palate reflected what was on the bouquet, but hints of stewed pears, and honey-dew melon remained. The mouthfeel reflected the oily viscosity evident visually. Persistence of a nutty, buttery finish for 30 seconds was quite full on.

Overall, a huge, heavy chardonnay, with the oak dominating at 13 years. I must say, I seem to enjoy my whites younger.

Cheers,

Monghead.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

You too?

monghead

Post by monghead »

Daryl Douglas wrote:You too?

Do you mean enjoying my whites younger?

Yeah, I have long since given up on aged rieslings. Too heavy and all that kerosene, especially from the Clare stuff. All my rieslings are consumed within 5-6 years from vintage now. I don't think I ever understood aged semillon. I am currently exploring older chardonnays...

If I wanted a wine with more weight and depth for a creamy seafood dish, or a light poultry dish, pinot noir seems to be the pick.

Cheers,

Monghead.

orpheus

Post by orpheus »

Posted three times, so deleted!
Last edited by orpheus on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orpheus

Post by orpheus »

monghead wrote:
Daryl Douglas wrote:You too?

Do you mean enjoying my whites younger?

Yeah, I have long since given up on aged rieslings. Too heavy and all that kerosene, especially from the Clare stuff. All my rieslings are consumed within 5-6 years from vintage now. I don't think I ever understood aged semillon. I am currently exploring older chardonnays...

If I wanted a wine with more weight and depth for a creamy seafood dish, or a light poultry dish, pinot noir seems to be the pick.

Cheers,

Monghead.

Never actually drunk kerosene :D, so a bit hard to comment.

However, I love good, aged rieslings. Taylors St Andrews, Seppelt Drubmorg riesling, Petaluma riesling, all seem to me to become more and more interesting as they age. And I've had wonderful aged Bannockburn chardonnay.

I don't mind the quality described as kerosene.

I love the delicacy and complexity of old riesling, and that lovely honeyed, caramelised finish.

orpheus

Post by orpheus »

Posted three times, so as close to deleted as possible.
Last edited by orpheus on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ross67

Monthly '96

Post by ross67 »

Monghead:
I have been reading your thread for a while now and enjoy it as its theme is quite different to alot of the other stuff on the forum.
I would love to do the same scenario with my wife but alas she is mostly a tea totaller!! and we were married in 1988 anyway so a fair way back!!

-Were you always keen on the '96 vintage before you got married or has it all evolved because of your marriage yr?
- do you have any/or have you tried the Coriole LLoyd Reserve 1996 for your monthly event? Have tried it once for my 40th and it really was stunning.

ross

monghead

Re: Monthly '96

Post by monghead »

ross67 wrote:Monghead:
I have been reading your thread for a while now and enjoy it as its theme is quite different to alot of the other stuff on the forum.
I would love to do the same scenario with my wife but alas she is mostly a tea totaller!! and we were married in 1988 anyway so a fair way back!!

-Were you always keen on the '96 vintage before you got married or has it all evolved because of your marriage yr?
- do you have any/or have you tried the Coriole LLoyd Reserve 1996 for your monthly event? Have tried it once for my 40th and it really was stunning.

ross

Ross,

One of our good friends loved to brew beer, and for our first month anniversary, gave us a case of his special "1996 vintage brew". This kept us going for nearly a year, after which our interest in wines really escalated. Initially our budget only allowed bottles up to $20-30 dollars, but as we started full time work, we were spending more... As we tried a wider variety of wines, and read about it more, we quickly realised that 1996 was a stellar vintage. This was when our interest in wines broadened to old world wines, with their greater prospects of ageability.

Oh, and wifey and I met in 1996, and got married in 2004.

As to the Coriole Lloyd Shiraz, I have tried it, but I must admit I can't remember it clearly. Just checked the list, and we have 4, so I think it will be time soon to uncork one...

Cheers,

Monghead.

monghead

Post by monghead »

1996 Coriole Lloyd Shiraz

Corked.....

Thus, since at home, and fortunately we had a couple of 96's lying around:

1996 Chateau Leoville Poyferre

This wine is still extremely youthful, and packs a fair whack of tannins (though from memory a year ago, this has softened ever so slightly). There were masses of blackcurrants and cedar on the nose, but also hints of truffle, and graphite. The medium bodied palate delighted with the interplay between the wine's sweet fruit characteristics and the earthy savoury nuances. The tannins were fine, but at this stage, still too dominating for a truly sublime experience.

Cheers,

Monghead.

griff

Post by griff »

Hi monghead. Thanks for the note. This was the wine you brought to the offline a while back wasn't it? I liked it then. Just wondering if you have had the 96 Pontet Canet and your thoughts on it if you have.

cheers

Carl

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Monghead,

Glad to hear you enjoyed the '96 Leoville Poyferre. You say that the wine is youthful and has a "whack" of tannins. I'm not surprised. You might be interested in knowing that I recently found a bottle of 1976 Leoville Poyferre in a bottle shop here in Edmonton.

Not knowing its history, and considering how little I paid for it, I was not expecting very much. Well, to my surprise, this turned out to be a delightful wine, mature, complex, and long.

Cellaring a bottle of 1996 should be a no-brainer.

Cheers....................Mahmoud

ross67

Post by ross67 »

Pity about the Lloyd Monghead
I was looking forward to your comments as its one of my favourites.
Was it your last '96??

ross

ross67

Post by ross67 »

1996 Coriole Lloyd Shiraz

Corked.....

Pity about the Lloyd Monghead. I was looking forward to your comments.
It is one of my favourites. Was it your last '96??

ross

monghead

Post by monghead »

griff wrote:Hi monghead. Thanks for the note. This was the wine you brought to the offline a while back wasn't it? I liked it then. Just wondering if you have had the 96 Pontet Canet and your thoughts on it if you have.

cheers

Carl

Hiya Carl,

Yeah this was the wine I brought to that offline in sydney. I believe it had improved since.

Have not tried the 96 Pontet Canet and don't have any in the cellar though.

monghead

Post by monghead »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:Monghead,

Glad to hear you enjoyed the '96 Leoville Poyferre. You say that the wine is youthful and has a "whack" of tannins. I'm not surprised. You might be interested in knowing that I recently found a bottle of 1976 Leoville Poyferre in a bottle shop here in Edmonton.

Not knowing its history, and considering how little I paid for it, I was not expecting very much. Well, to my surprise, this turned out to be a delightful wine, mature, complex, and long.

Cellaring a bottle of 1996 should be a no-brainer.

Cheers....................Mahmoud

Yeah, I have 6 more in the cellar.

The sizeable tannins does concern me. However, on the latest bottle, I believe the tannins are just starting to ease back, and the fruit is certainly still holding strong. I won't be touching another for a couple of years...

monghead

Post by monghead »

ross67 wrote:1996 Coriole Lloyd Shiraz

Corked.....

Pity about the Lloyd Monghead. I was looking forward to your comments.
It is one of my favourites. Was it your last '96??

ross

Yeah, a pity. I have 3 more, so hopefully they are sound.

Cheers,

Monghead.

monghead

Post by monghead »

1996 Wendouree Shiraz Mataro

Cork extruded with no troubles. Nil seepage, with only the bottom of the cork stained dark purple.

Decanted for 2 hours prior to consumption.

Dense dark purple with minimal bricking. Rich etheral nose, with black fruits, meaty gamey characteristics, five spice, and hints of menthol and olives. Full, deep, mouth filling and long, but with chunky, drying tannins. Many, many years left in it, and reasonably enjoyable. Would have been much better if the tannins were softer..... Perhaps in 5-10 years...

Monghead.

monghead

Post by monghead »

Just a quick note while wifey is washing up.

Night in and I had to cook après work. Had to be a simple meal.

Took a few short-cuts, but meal ended up good (yes, I may be biased, but wifey enjoyed it too, yes, she may be more biased...) Nevertheless, Beef cutlet marinated in oregano, rosemary, garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil, brought to room temp, then sealed on a skillet pan achieving charr marks, before entering the oven for 10 mins, then rested for 10. Served with chat potatoes first boiled lightly, drained, then “agitated” in a pot to roughen them up prior to dressing them with garlic, oregano, thyme, salt and olive oil prior to baking in a hot oven to achieve a crispy outer coat. Side of baby mesclun salad dressed simply with EVOO, salt and pepper. Accompanied by a bernaise and mustard sauce.

Washed down with a 1996 Beaucastel CNdP

Excellent fill level, minimal sediment on decanting. Developed, almost translucent, burgundy/brown colour. Aromas of leather, cinnamon, pencil shavings, shitake mushrooms, hints of dark plums, and faintly varnish. Medium bodied, hallow mid palate, and a sour cherry finish with chalky tannins, this wine is on it’s decline, so drink up if you still have some in the cellar! So often, these older wines have a nose to die for, but the palate is such a let down.....

Anyways, washing done, wifey and I are going to finish off the wine, and plan aspects of our end of the year France extravaganza.....

Cheers,

Monghead.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Sounds like a (very nice) meal to match with Seppelt Dorrien cab 96. Shame the Beaucastel wasn't up to it.

Cheers

daz

griff

Post by griff »

Shame the Beaucastel wasn't up to scratch. Hope you get your hands on a nice 96 Rhone eventually :)

cheers

Carl

monghead

Post by monghead »

Daryl Douglas wrote:Sounds like a (very nice) meal to match with Seppelt Dorrien cab 96. Shame the Beaucastel wasn't up to it.

Cheers

daz

Yes, good thought...

monghead

Post by monghead »

1996 Chateau Latour

Decanted 2 hours prior to tasting, drank over 90 minutes.

A deep crimson hue with minimal bricking around the edges on swirling. A captivating aroma loaded with cassis, black fruits and graphite. Hints of cloves, cigars, and old leather waft in and out. On tasting, these aromas dance the length of the palate, with it's spicy, savoury fruit on the fore, leading to images of a country antique store. The persistence of flavours after the swallow was impressive, and we savoured, savoured, savoured... The tannins though fine and ripe, were abundant.

Needs almost infinitely more time. Mental note not to touch another for 5 years or more. Of the first growths in this vintage we have enjoyed (not having tasted the Lafite yet), this is certainly the most backward, which will need the most time.

Cheers,

Monghead.