Miranda Golden Botrytis

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Old Salt

Miranda Golden Botrytis

Post by Old Salt »

I'd be interested to know whatever happened to this, seems to have disappeared from the market with 2002 being the last vintage.

This used to be a staple purchase of mine and at almost half the cost of Noble One was most attractive, now sadly missed. I hope it isn't a case of RIP. I recently bought the remaining stock of the 02's at our local DM's.

Longevity of the MGB is amazing, my first purchases of the 96 & 97's are holding up well, not overly cloying but some extra acidity would have elevated this to one of the greatest VFM stickies. Cellared at my place at 13o I will hang on to a few to monitor their development. The 99's & 01's are hitting their straps right now.

I would appreciate forumites' recommendation of anything around similar price points. Cost of the Noble 1 is creeping up a bit :(

n4sir

Re: Miranda Golden Botrytis

Post by n4sir »

Old Salt wrote:I'd be interested to know whatever happened to this, seems to have disappeared from the market with 2002 being the last vintage.

This used to be a staple purchase of mine and at almost half the cost of Noble One was most attractive, now sadly missed. I hope it isn't a case of RIP. I recently bought the remaining stock of the 02's at our local DM's.

Longevity of the MGB is amazing, my first purchases of the 96 & 97's are holding up well, not overly cloying but some extra acidity would have elevated this to one of the greatest VFM stickies. Cellared at my place at 13o I will hang on to a few to monitor their development. The 99's & 01's are hitting their straps right now.

I would appreciate forumites' recommendation of anything around similar price points. Cost of the Noble 1 is creeping up a bit :(

It's still around, and has been called the Leone Botrytis Semillon the last few years:
http://www.loumirandaestate.com.au/index.php?id=15

If the places you're buying from are no longer stocking it, the best thing would be to contact CD direct - they usually have a number of back vintages available too.

Cheers,
Ian
Last edited by n4sir on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The 2006 Deen Debortoli Vat 5 Botrytis Semillon is very good value at around $10(375ml). Perhaps not quite as complex as the Miranda, and can be a little variable, but they seem to have got the 2006 pretty right......

Davo

Post by Davo »

n4sir wrote:
It's still around, and has been called the Leone Botrytis Semillon the last few years:

Cheers,
Ian

Interesting name isn't it? (Nob)Le one? :shock:

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

What a shame about new label (and name). The old label, the 1999, is beautiful, one of the prettiest labels I've seen on a dessert wine.

Sometimes people just aren't able to leave a good thing alone.

Cheers.............Mahmoud.

Davo

Post by Davo »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:What a shame about new label (and name). The old label, the 1999, is beautiful, one of the prettiest labels I've seen on a dessert wine.

Sometimes people just aren't able to leave a good thing alone.

It could have something to do with them having sold the business and Lou Miranda having to use different labels.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Davo wrote:
n4sir wrote:

Cheers,
Ian

Interesting name isn't it? (Nob)Le one? :shock:

The 'Leone' name is used for a number of their wines, but it does make for an unusual coincidence! :lol:

I think there's been a friendly rivalry between Lou and De Bortoli for a while - a few years ago at a ten-year Noble One vertical, Nick Guy & Julie Mortlock mentioned Lou was sitting at one of the tables. A few months earlier at the Adelaide Wine Show the 02 Miranda Golden Botrytis got the best sweet/dessert wine trophy in a taste off with the 02 Noble One.

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

Anonymous wrote:The 2006 Deen Debortoli Vat 5 Botrytis Semillon is very good value at around $10(375ml). Perhaps not quite as complex as the Miranda, and can be a little variable, but they seem to have got the 2006 pretty right......

Damn tootin. Amazing that anyone can even produce a botrysis for that money, yet alone make a good fist of it too
The Dog of Wine

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Davo wrote: "It could have something to do with them having sold the business and Lou Miranda having to use different labels."

I'm afraid I don't see the reasoning. If the business was sold then the label and brand belong to the new owners. Lots of wineries have been bought by larger groups and the labels haven't changed.

Mahmoud.

Davo

Post by Davo »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:Davo wrote: "It could have something to do with them having sold the business and Lou Miranda having to use different labels."

I'm afraid I don't see the reasoning. If the business was sold then the label and brand belong to the new owners. Lots of wineries have been bought by larger groups and the labels haven't changed.

Mahmoud.

Or it may now all be rolled into the existing successful label of the new owners??

Just because you can't see the reason doesn't mean there isn't one. :roll:

JamieH

Post by JamieH »

I recieved a delivery of the 2002 today (at work). Been selling the 02 for about a year and half, averaging about 12 bottles every 2-3 weeks. Makes me wonder exactly how much of this they produced. correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure this vintage beat Noble one in the winestate wines of the year awhile back. noble one is on the 2006 vintage as of about 8 months ago. great wine though, was quite impressed with the pioneers raisned muscat too!

cheers

Jamie
Lets just say I have never had a wine I've hated, but there are some I would rather not taste again....

John #11

Post by John #11 »

Old Salt wrote:I'd be interested to know whatever happened to this, seems to have disappeared from the market with 2002 being the last vintage.

They certainly made a 2005 Miranda Golden Botrytis, it is widely available in Adelaide.

The parent company can be seen here: http://www.australianvintage.com.au/
and it looks like the Golden Botrytis will continue...

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Davo,

Perhaps you misunderstood. I didn't mean to suggest that there can't be any reason why a name or label might be changed. There is ALWAYS a reason, what ever it might be, marketing, personal desire, etc., etc.

What I was trying to say, in response to your comment about "them having sold the business" was that purchasing the business, in and of itself, doesn't mean that they had to change labels. To me buying the business means the whole lot, vineyards, winery, and brand. Perhaps its just semantics. Long ago, Tyrrell's sold the Long Flat label, not their business. I'm assuming that if Miranda was sold then, in the broadest sense of the meaning, the new owners would be the owners of the brand.

Now, according to John#11, it seems Miranda still exists. Maybe Lou Miranda is a separate company and nothing to do with Miranda other than being relatives, like Tulloch and Keith Tulloch in the Hunter Valley

Cheers.................Mahmoud.

Davo

Post by Davo »

"Lou's father, Francesco Miranda, established Miranda Wines in Griffith in 1939. When Miranda Wines was sold a few years ago, Lou retained the Barossa operation, naming it Lou Miranda Estate. "

I had actually had this information first hand from the winery but this is quoted from a source somewhere on the web which you also could google if you like to verify.

You can read whatever you like into it.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Davo writes:

"Lou's father, Francesco Miranda, established Miranda Wines in Griffith in 1939. When Miranda Wines was sold a few years ago, Lou retained the Barossa operation, naming it Lou Miranda Estate. "

To me "sold the business" means that the company named Miranda, the name and brands, were sold. Hence Lou Miranda couldn't us the old name and label design.

Whatever the story, the Lou Miranda website says that it is located in the Barossa Valley and that the winery was built in 1999. There is also a Sam Miranda, a grandson of Francesco Miranda, who has a new winery in the King Valley. The Sam Miranda website refers to Miranda Wines, "the family business", being sold to McGuigan Simeon in October 2003.

Meanwhile, Miranda Wines, the original winery in Griffiths, continues to make the Golden Botrytis.

Good idea about Googling Davo,

John #11

Post by John #11 »

Leone is Italian for "Lion". Check out the Lou Miranda web page for lions!

BTW I can highly recommend a meal at Lou Miranda's winery in the Barossa. Be sure to try the Chocolate Lasagna dessert!

Davo

Post by Davo »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:
To me "sold the business" means that the company named Miranda, the name and brands, were sold. Hence Lou Miranda couldn't us the old name and label design.

Hallef'nlujah :roll: :lol: