First Sunday in February.....

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TORB

First Sunday in February.....

Post by TORB »

Hi Good Peoples,

Its that time of the week again. Your Sunday drinkin' reports are due. Please let us know what you have been consuming over the last week. Tasting notes, lists and vibes all welcome.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Mesh Riesling 08
Hard to appreciate when the wine condensates and goes warm within minutes, fresh from a cold fridge but this was pretty good, quite luscious rather than austere (although maybe that's the temperature talking). Solid all round.

Leabrook Estate Gewurtztraminer 2007
Elegant and fresh, quite gris-like, hints of ginger and lychee on the nose, but an otherwise refreshing and fruit sweet palate.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

griff

Post by griff »

2007 Te Mata Cape Crest Sauvignon Blanc
Intriguing wine. Somewhat closed on the nose but still able to smell lemon rind and gooseberry (no cat's pee or sweaty armpit etc though). The palate had a sweet and sour balance with an acidic firm line juxtaposed with bursts of gooseberry on a textured, slightly creamy palate. A gooseberry meringue pie :) Excellent wine and should develop well over 5 years I suspect.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

rednut

Post by rednut »

2006 Domain Roving Tongue Rose

A sweet, rasberry drop that is superb chilled on a lovely 43 degree Adelaide day.... :lol:

2002 Wyndham Estate Bin 555

This wine would have to be one of the tastiest wines I have had for a while. My last bottle I had from a dozen I purchased some time ago. Stored six in my wine fridge and it is an excellent quaffer. Very much overlooked this wine....
"A woman drove me to drink, and I'll be a son of a gun but I never even wrote to thank her" WC Fields

Pelican

Post by Pelican »

2005 Nepenthe Adelaide Hills Zinfandel : $27 screwcap. I really enjoyed this because it has personality that small production often brings. Had a very attractive linament thread. I recall most Nepenthe wines being very well made in their first few vintages then I reckon they must have increased production many times over to the point where the wines are OK but nothing exciting - except for this ZIN that I buy quite often. Interestingly it always gets just around 80 points from Jeremy Oliver most vintages - I respect his palate mostly but I just dig this wine and disagree.

2006 Saint Cosme Cotes du Rhone : $15 cork. Last year I bought several older bottles of " Chateau de Saint Cosme " Gigondas from auction which were very classy - mainly due to the wines having a wonderful balance. This humbler wine from the same producer also has a nice balance to it - sort of a nothing stands out sheer drinkability aspect to it. Better than most CdR at this price. Not lacking in fruit either.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

rednut wrote:

This wine would have to be one of the tastiest wines I have had for a while. My last bottle I had from a dozen I purchased some time ago. Stored six in my wine fridge and it is an excellent quaffer. Very much overlooked this wine....

Rate the 555, I do, it has always impressed me far more than many others of it's ilk. I actually have a magnum of that particular vintage, given to me by an industry friend at some point. I reckon it'd be a fair go at a BBQ.
Cheers
Wayno

Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Wayno wrote:
rednut wrote:

Rate the 555, I do, it has always impressed me far more than many others of it's ilk. I actually have a magnum of that particular vintage, given to me by an industry friend at some point. I reckon it'd be a fair go at a BBQ.

Interesting!. Some friends have mentioned that the Wyndham Estate Bin 555 is a great drop. Was there any particular year that stood out?.

Cheers
Leigh
WINE - NECTAR OF THE GODS!

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

I've had the 02 a couple of times before and a in my younger days enjoyed older vintages, I can't remember which, it probably doesn't matter anyway.

Granted I've not had this since the 02, but certainly remember it making more of an impression than your bog-standard $sub15 quaffers.
Cheers
Wayno

Broughy

Post by Broughy »

a blast from the past 1986 Leahmann Hermitage not sure but presume this to be 100% shiraz. Deep Garnet colour little/no browning. Strawberries on the nose. Plate quite sweet possibly the oak? I think the ABV was only 13%. ok and more a currio than overtly enjoyable. 90 points

2005 Laurel Bank Pinot Noir Deep rich colouring, good depth of fruit flaor of plum and cherry. back palate stalkiness which is quite attractive. excellent drinking for the money. what will it do in a couple of years? still relativley simple palate. 94 points

1998 Seppelts Dorrien Cabernet Very fresh, cork in excellent condition. very varietal and low ABV. again this wine seemed to be a bit sweet but very enjoyable. small berry flavour. 95 Points.

2005 Hugel Gentil simple but exotic and obviously from its origins. good cork and clean palate. nice refreshing drop. 90 points.

Seppelt Muscat excellent vlaule good post dinner quaffing.90 points

pcjm

Post by pcjm »

Wayno wrote:I've had the 02 a couple of times before and a in my younger days enjoyed older vintages, I can't remember which, it probably doesn't matter anyway.

Granted I've not had this since the 02, but certainly remember it making more of an impression than your bog-standard $sub15 quaffers.

I thought the 04 was excellent value but didn't like the 05 anywhere near as much.

Paul

malliemcg

Post by malliemcg »

2001 Richard Hamilton Old Vines Shiraz On initially popping the cork a fair whiff of VA assaulted the nose. Left it for around 1.5 hours before revisiting. On the nose massive amounts of plums, aniseed, star anise, a little pepper.

On the mouth, very fruit forward still, the mouthfeel is lucious, coating but in a good way. This wine still has great silky tannin structure, some decent level of acid and fruit even after 8 years. None of the tertiary characteristics that you'd expect from a Shiraz of this age to be showing had become to come out yet, mucho surpriseo.

This could last longer but the cork is giving me some concern, there was some seepage to about 1/2 way into, if the cork lasts, i'd assume this wine still has another 10 years ahead of it.

There were also a few whites - but best not mention them - it's just been too hot to drink reds. Usually had a glass or two straight, then a few glasses w/ ice and lemonade - the heat just warmed them up way too speedy.

rednut

Post by rednut »

Leigh wrote:
Wayno wrote:
rednut wrote:

Interesting!. Some friends have mentioned that the Wyndham Estate Bin 555 is a great drop. Was there any particular year that stood out?.

Cheers
Leigh

Any year with even numbers.... :wink:

I bought a carton of the 02, 04, 06...
The 04 was equally as good as the 02. I still have 6 bottles in the fridge of the 04 and it gets better and better as it ages.
555 is a bargain at Dans at the moment for around $9
"A woman drove me to drink, and I'll be a son of a gun but I never even wrote to thank her" WC Fields

ACG

Post by ACG »

Crabilis Vermentino 2007 - Blah. A variety that needs to be stored under screwcap in this stelvinista's opinon. Already developing.

Albert Mann Pinot Blanc 2007 - Excellent, one of the best PB's I have had in ages. Crowd pleaser too.

Drappier Grand Sendree 2002 - Sternly dry, definitely needs time but bloody great value @ $70, highly recommended.

FX Pichler Klostersatz Federspiel Gruner Veltliner 2006 - Yum. I love Gruner, this ain't this most intense, but it has that lovely Gruner spice.

Turners Crossing Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 - One of the wines of the weekend. No Bendigo eucalpyt, very little mint, but just loads of beautiful textured flavours. For $24 this was stunning.

Andrew

Dave Dewhurst

Post by Dave Dewhurst »

Some decent recent quaffing, not in any order:

Chateau Mouton-Rothschild, 1983, hardly any browning on this at all, great cedary and tobacco nose; initially very leathery and smoky on the palate but blackcurrant fruit and dark chocolate rose with time (~2 hours), becoming longer and longer as the evening went on. Just awesome!

Dom Perignon, 2000, not quite as lean and crisp as the 98, but still lovely lemon and biscuits with decent acidity and a great match for oysters.

Fonseca Vintage Port, 1970, deep, dark and powerful, awesome unctuous palate of raisins and chocolate continuing on forever. Classic match with Stilton. Just magic.

La Nieta, Rioja, 2005, awesome depth and power in this wine, red and black cherries, dark liquid chocolate, great ripe dusty tannins and never ending length. Just a pup this one with miles and miles to go. Know the importer of this one well so usual caveats.

Chateau Beaucastel, 2000, again, incredibly powerful wine with no sign of the oft-quoted Beaucastel brett. Lovely deep plummy fruit, with cloves, spice and pepper. Great length again with soft, ripe tannins. Still extremely youthful, ages to go.

J. Vidal-Fleury Cote Rotie, 1998, this one was closer to ready than the two youngsters above. Lovely savoury blackberry and red cherry fruit with integrated tannins and great length. More medium-bodied and elegant than the powerhouses above and a great wine for it.

Chateau La Tour Blanche, 2003, a whopping 400g/l residual sugar in this one apparently. Incredibly sweet, unsurprisingly, very, very unctuous and mouthcoating, with lemon, honey and a touch of banana. No sign of the oranginess I usually associate with botrytis. Not enough acidity here either and as a consequence did not go well with initial pairings of either foie gras toasts or Roquefort. Just drunk alone in the end.

Chateau de Malle, 2001, much more like it - marmaladey and sweet but with ripping acidity to finish and paired well with the foods noted in the last wine. Loved this wine, good length too.

Chateau Montrose, 2001, lots of graphite on the nose here along with cigar box too. Deep, savoury blackcurrant and mint along with moderately firm tannins. Softened up after a three hour decant and drank beautifully. Will still go a fair while yet!

There's been a whole pile more over the last few weeks, but these are the most recent I can remember! 8) :D

Cheers

Dave

JJap

Post by JJap »

Friday night after tennis:
2008 Oyster Bay Sav Blanc - This did nothing for me. Haven't had a good Oyster Bay since....ever really.
2008 The Ned Sav Blanc - Had it all over the Oyster Bay and was really enjoyable
2006 Wirra Wirra Church Block - Great value for money and thoroughly enjoyed by all.

Saturday night my mothers birthday dinner:
2006 Penfolds Bin 311 Chardonnay - Drinking very nicely. Am looking forward to the March release of the 2008 version of this.
1976 Penfolds Grange - Absolutely sensational wine!! Amazing fruit presence and the wine is in perfect balance with length that just goes on and on. Very good drinking experience.
1996 Penfolds Bin 389 - Very good but not a patch on the Grange and not quite as good as the last bottle I had which was seriously good.
Mumm NV Rose - Nice was to start the evening but not as good as other examples tried in the past.

orpheus

Post by orpheus »

Dave, if these are your quaffing wines, I'm moving in.

Dave Dewhurst wrote:Some decent recent quaffing, not in any order:

Chateau Mouton-Rothschild, 1983, hardly any browning on this at all, great cedary and tobacco nose; initially very leathery and smoky on the palate but blackcurrant fruit and dark chocolate rose with time (~2 hours), becoming longer and longer as the evening went on. Just awesome!

Dom Perignon, 2000, not quite as lean and crisp as the 98, but still lovely lemon and biscuits with decent acidity and a great match for oysters.

Fonseca Vintage Port, 1970, deep, dark and powerful, awesome unctuous palate of raisins and chocolate continuing on forever. Classic match with Stilton. Just magic.

La Nieta, Rioja, 2005, awesome depth and power in this wine, red and black cherries, dark liquid chocolate, great ripe dusty tannins and never ending length. Just a pup this one with miles and miles to go. Know the importer of this one well so usual caveats.

Chateau Beaucastel, 2000, again, incredibly powerful wine with no sign of the oft-quoted Beaucastel brett. Lovely deep plummy fruit, with cloves, spice and pepper. Great length again with soft, ripe tannins. Still extremely youthful, ages to go.

J. Vidal-Fleury Cote Rotie, 1998, this one was closer to ready than the two youngsters above. Lovely savoury blackberry and red cherry fruit with integrated tannins and great length. More medium-bodied and elegant than the powerhouses above and a great wine for it.

Chateau La Tour Blanche, 2003, a whopping 400g/l residual sugar in this one apparently. Incredibly sweet, unsurprisingly, very, very unctuous and mouthcoating, with lemon, honey and a touch of banana. No sign of the oranginess I usually associate with botrytis. Not enough acidity here either and as a consequence did not go well with initial pairings of either foie gras toasts or Roquefort. Just drunk alone in the end.

Chateau de Malle, 2001, much more like it - marmaladey and sweet but with ripping acidity to finish and paired well with the foods noted in the last wine. Loved this wine, good length too.

Chateau Montrose, 2001, lots of graphite on the nose here along with cigar box too. Deep, savoury blackcurrant and mint along with moderately firm tannins. Softened up after a three hour decant and drank beautifully. Will still go a fair while yet!

There's been a whole pile more over the last few weeks, but these are the most recent I can remember! 8) :D

Cheers

Dave

Dave Dewhurst

Post by Dave Dewhurst »

orpheus wrote:Dave, if these are your quaffing wines, I'm moving in.

:D :D

El Josho

Post by El Josho »

2006 Jean-Luc Colombo 'Les Gravieres' Crozes Hermitage - pepper and spice and all things nice, this one. At the price point, you're never really sure what you're going to get from our Gallic friends, but this one was an 'honest', medium bodied red with all the fruit, structure and length just where it should be. Delightful.

2007 Ascheri Barbera D'Alba - rich, red and dry, savoury herbs. My experience with Barbera suggests that this style of wine is normally more juicy and approachable than the Ascheri, which I was pleassed was trying to be something a bit more like it's higher profile Piedmont cousins. Recommended.

2007 'Dr L' Dr Loosen Riesling - Hang your head in shame, Dr Loosen. Enough said.

2003 Symington Family Estate LBV Port - Hey,it's cold here in London. Port in all the right places, and helped the Sunday afternoon Stilton slide down the right way. Pleasing.
"It wasn't the wine," murmured Mr. Snodgrass, in a broken voice. "It was the salmon."
Charles Dickens, Pickwick Papers

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

El Josho wrote:2007 'Dr L' Dr Loosen Riesling - Hang your head in shame, Dr Loosen. Enough said.

Harsh. I thought this was pretty good, myself.
Cheers
Wayno

El Josho

Post by El Josho »

And therein is one of the attractions of wine - you say tomato and I say tomarto. I thought the Dr L was straying too far to the sweet for sweetness sake, however I must admit that my Riesling tastes do stray towards the dry, and put me in a frame of mind for South Aussie Oysters.
"It wasn't the wine," murmured Mr. Snodgrass, in a broken voice. "It was the salmon."
Charles Dickens, Pickwick Papers

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

El Josho wrote:And therein is one of the attractions of wine - you say tomato and I say tomarto. I thought the Dr L was straying too far to the sweet for sweetness sake, however I must admit that my Riesling tastes do stray towards the dry, and put me in a frame of mind for South Aussie Oysters.

Word, El Josho.

We thought it a bit sweet at first but after awhile it grew on us. Feel free to enjoy some home spawned soon.
Cheers
Wayno