Wines that changed the industry

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
David

Post by David »

Nayan wrote:
David wrote:I had a look at my list and realised that most of the wines I selected were from, for the day, larger companies. Would we expect this leadership from the larger companies today? Interesting question.

David,

Excuse my ignorance, but were they always big companies? Or were they acquired to form big companies by people who wanted to capitalise on their success?

Cheers,

Nayan

A lot of them would have been considered big companies at the time eg Penfolds, Mcwilliams Seppelts, Orlando, Mildara, and so on. I guess my point is that in these days would big companies be capable of introducing such benchmark wines or would the bean counters and "shareholder interests" mitigate against such innovation.

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

griff wrote:
cuttlefish wrote:I do not agree that anything by Jasper Hill, Clonakilla or Rockford has changed things dramatically in Australia. They're just blips in most peoples opinion, and almost unrecognised by the vast majority of Australians.

They influenced the industry which is the question here not the wine-buying public.

Jasper Hill single-handedly almost pioneered the Heathcote region. Have a look at the plantings now!

Clonakilla was the first successful SV in Australia and the one the rest of the industry want to catch. Agree with Davo that Yalumba where there first but Clonakilla was the one that changed the industry.

Rockford was the nursery for so many winemakers in the Barossa that have gone on to reinvigorate the region. Even Dave Powell started at the Rockford school. Great article I think in the gourmet traveller about this.

On others some suggestions are the Yarra Three (Yarra Yering, Mount Mary and Yarra Yarra) that restarted interest in the Yarra.

Also Leeuwin chardy that was the first real beacon for chardy in the 80's and still strong.

cheers

Carl

Hi Carl,

I'll stand by my statement. If you put any of Rockford, Jasper Hill, or Clonakilla alongside Wolf Blass, or Grange, they don't seem to have had the same impact. You make very valid points about those three wineries, but I'd liken them to players who are in a premiership squad, but not neccessarily the superstars of the team (like a Hodge, or a Franklin).

Actually with regards to Jasper Hill, I was thinking you may have included them because of their pioneering (I could be wrong here) the organic/biodynamic approach to winemaking ???
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

plummy

Post by plummy »

Davo wrote:
plummy wrote:Maybe not a wine but in the early 1960s Amerine came to WA and identified the "riesling" vines grown here in the Swan Valley as Chenin Blanc. Started a whole new wine style.

Not so sure about that. Houghton have been making their white "burgundy" (now "White Classic") since 1937 and Chenin Blanc has always been the base grape. I would think that Jack Mann knew what grape variety he was using.

Nevertheless, that IS what happened. I lived through the period while doing my wine courses. Maybe it didn't change the White Burgundy because Jack would continue to use the same grapes for such a good seller but it sure started a varietal called Chenin Blanc (a grape very few people had heard of), especially from the Margaret River region.
Kim
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.
-David Auerbach-
The ONLY water I drink is filtered, through a vine.
-Kim-

Davo

Post by Davo »

plummy wrote:
Davo wrote:
plummy wrote:Maybe not a wine but in the early 1960s Amerine came to WA and identified the "riesling" vines grown here in the Swan Valley as Chenin Blanc. Started a whole new wine style.

Not so sure about that. Houghton have been making their white "burgundy" (now "White Classic") since 1937 and Chenin Blanc has always been the base grape. I would think that Jack Mann knew what grape variety he was using.

Nevertheless, that IS what happened. I lived through the period while doing my wine courses. Maybe it didn't change the White Burgundy because Jack would continue to use the same grapes for such a good seller but it sure started a varietal called Chenin Blanc (a grape very few people had heard of), especially from the Margaret River region.
Kim

Interesting.

MR didn't even have plantings until the late 1960's (1967 I think) and most plantings did not occur until the 70's and wine courses didn't start in WA at Curtin Uni until the 90's, unless you mean wine appreciation courses.

According to the history I have read it was in South Africa in the 60's that Amerine pointed out the grape they called Steen was actually Chenin Blanc, but then he could well have visited WA at that time even though our vine area was quite small.

FWIW I too am West Australian, started into wine in the early 70's, and Chenin has always been known as Chenin during that period. I can't speak for the 60's though as I didn't drink much wine in primary school or the first couple of years of high school. I do remember drinking a particularly fine Quelltaler Hock during my 4th year of high school however :lol:

griff

Post by griff »

cuttlefish wrote:
griff wrote:
cuttlefish wrote:I do not agree that anything by Jasper Hill, Clonakilla or Rockford has changed things dramatically in Australia. They're just blips in most peoples opinion, and almost unrecognised by the vast majority of Australians.

They influenced the industry which is the question here not the wine-buying public.

Jasper Hill single-handedly almost pioneered the Heathcote region. Have a look at the plantings now!

Clonakilla was the first successful SV in Australia and the one the rest of the industry want to catch. Agree with Davo that Yalumba where there first but Clonakilla was the one that changed the industry.

Rockford was the nursery for so many winemakers in the Barossa that have gone on to reinvigorate the region. Even Dave Powell started at the Rockford school. Great article I think in the gourmet traveller about this.

On others some suggestions are the Yarra Three (Yarra Yering, Mount Mary and Yarra Yarra) that restarted interest in the Yarra.

Also Leeuwin chardy that was the first real beacon for chardy in the 80's and still strong.

cheers

Carl

Hi Carl,

I'll stand by my statement. If you put any of Rockford, Jasper Hill, or Clonakilla alongside Wolf Blass, or Grange, they don't seem to have had the same impact. You make very valid points about those three wineries, but I'd liken them to players who are in a premiership squad, but not neccessarily the superstars of the team (like a Hodge, or a Franklin).

Actually with regards to Jasper Hill, I was thinking you may have included them because of their pioneering (I could be wrong here) the organic/biodynamic approach to winemaking ???

Hmmm :) I agree that they didn't have the impact that Grange did or Wolf Blass but they certainly had impact on the industry :)

You have a very valid point about Jasper Hill's later efforts. I don't know to be honest whether people looked to Jasper Hill or Cullen as the biodynamic leader. I suppose they can share it :)

Another winery that would have been influential was that of Janz. That and Clover Hill were the wines that established Tasmania as a producer of fine sparkling wine.

How about Plataganet for developing the Great Southern region?

And I think it was Joe Grilli that was the first to artificially inoculate his grapes with botrytis at Joseph Estate?

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Davo

Post by Davo »

griff wrote:

Carl

The Great Southern was proposed as a wine grape region by Gladstone and the first vines were planted by the Ag Dept of WA as a trial and I believe it was those vines that eventually became Plantaganet. Not 100% sure but that is what I was told some time ago.

griff

Post by griff »

Davo wrote:
griff wrote:

Carl

The Great Southern was proposed as a wine grape region by Gladstone and the first vines were planted by the Ag Dept of WA as a trial and I believe it was those vines that eventually became Plantaganet. Not 100% sure but that is what I was told some time ago.

Didn't realise that Plantaganet went that far back! How old would the vines be now I wonder.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Jules

Post by Jules »

I'd say the Cold Duck, Porphry Pearl, and who can forget the modern version Brown Bros Crouchen Riesling, introduced a lot of people to wine, and those styles continue to do so (best of all the Crouchen Riesling continues to give riesling a bad name for most punters, which keeps it reasonable priced for those that love it like me).

I'd say the perfection of the wine cask was a big moment for the Aussie industry.

and Grange. primarily for the wine, but also for when prices for it started going through the roof in the late 80's early 90's in the secondary market. That made a lot of people sit up and take notice.

Someone also mentioned Sparkling Shiraz, which I believe were pioneered by Colin Preece at Seppelts in the 60's.

Davo

Post by Davo »

griff wrote:
Davo wrote:
griff wrote:

Carl

Didn't realise that Plantaganet went that far back! How old would the vines be now I wonder.

cheers

Carl

Planted in the mid to late 60's, if they still have the original vines.

Davo

Post by Davo »

Jules wrote:
Someone also mentioned Sparkling Shiraz, which I believe were pioneered by Colin Preece at Seppelts in the 60's.

And "Cold Duck" almost single handedly put sparkling reds to the sword. :lol:

griff

Post by griff »

Davo wrote:
Jules wrote:

Great history of sparkling shiraz courtesy of Rumball via John Wilson

http://www.rumball.com.au/history.htm

Looks like it was Auldana and not Auldstone as I mentioned earlier. The brain must be pickled :)

cheers

Carl

plummy

Post by plummy »

Davo wrote:MR didn't even have plantings until the late 1960's (1967 I think) and most plantings did not occur until the 70's and wine courses didn't start in WA at Curtin Uni until the 90's, unless you mean wine appreciation courses.

According to the history I have read it was in South Africa in the 60's that Amerine pointed out the grape they called Steen was actually Chenin Blanc, but then he could well have visited WA at that time even though our vine area was quite small.

FWIW I too am West Australian, started into wine in the early 70's, and Chenin has always been known as Chenin during that period. I can't speak for the 60's though as I didn't drink much wine in primary school or the first couple of years of high school. I do remember drinking a particularly fine Quelltaler Hock during my 4th year of high school however :lol:

Davo, you're correct about the plantings at MR. The first plantings in the SW, under Dorham Mann's direction when he was with the Ag Dept, was about 1961 on a property near where Plantagenant is now. The property was owned by a guy called Tony (don't remember his surname) and in 1965 I visited the vineyard to see the grapes, Rhine Riesling (since pulled out!). The first vintage was, if I remember correctly, 1964 but it was very small. The 1965 vintage was much larger. From there I travelled to MR with the view of buying a property and starting a vineyard but found I didn't have the financial grunt to do so (curses!). I was a young adult, newly married. I tasted the Riesling from 1964, 1965 and 1966 and I thought I had kept the bottles for historical interest but when I went to look for them I couldn't find them.
You're also right about the wine appreciation courses, at the Showgrounds venue. I attended all three: beginners, advanced and cellarmasters courses. Loved the CM course which has stood me in good stead for over 35 years.
I thought Amerine was invited to WA by Dorham Mann but I could be mistaken.
Kim
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.
-David Auerbach-
The ONLY water I drink is filtered, through a vine.
-Kim-

Davo

Post by Davo »

plummy wrote:
Davo wrote:MR didn't even have plantings until the late 1960's (1967 I think) and most plantings did not occur until the 70's and wine courses didn't start in WA at Curtin Uni until the 90's, unless you mean wine appreciation courses.

Davo, you're correct about the plantings at MR. The first plantings in the SW, under Dorham Mann's direction when he was with the Ag Dept, was about 1961 on a property near where Plantagenant is now. The property was owned by a guy called Tony (don't remember his surname) and in 1965 I visited the vineyard to see the grapes, Rhine Riesling (since pulled out!). The first vintage was, if I remember correctly, 1964 but it was very small. The 1965 vintage was much larger. From there I travelled to MR with the view of buying a property and starting a vineyard but found I didn't have the financial grunt to do so (curses!). I was a young adult, newly married. I tasted the Riesling from 1964, 1965 and 1966 and I thought I had kept the bottles for historical interest but when I went to look for them I couldn't find them.
You're also right about the wine appreciation courses, at the Showgrounds venue. I attended all three: beginners, advanced and cellarmasters courses. Loved the CM course which has stood me in good stead for over 35 years.
I thought Amerine was invited to WA by Dorham Mann but I could be mistaken.
Kim

It's all ancient history anyway Kim. You should join us at an offline for a few quite ones in appreciation of the god Bacchus one day.

Davo

Post by Davo »

griff wrote:
Davo wrote:
Jules wrote:

Great history of sparkling shiraz courtesy of Rumball via John Wilson

http://www.rumball.com.au/history.htm

Looks like it was Auldana and not Auldstone as I mentioned earlier. The brain must be pickled :)

cheers

Carl

Auldstone is a relative newcomer just down the road from Baileys and Booths in Glenrowan area.

Davo

Post by Davo »

Davo wrote:
griff wrote:
Davo wrote:
griff wrote:

Carl

cheers

Carl

I was close but no cigar:-

1st grapes planted in 1859 George Egerton-Warburton - long since defunct although wine made from them beat all comers at the 1902 Mt Barker Ag Show

Ag Dept planted a trial vineyard (2023 hectares, sounds bloody huge for a trial but that is what the literature says. Probably 2.023 ha as = 5 acres) at Tony Pearse's property Forest Hill 1965-66, planted and nurtured by Bill Jamison, grapes sent to Hought for vinification by Jack and Dorham Mann.

Plantaganet (A Smith) planted 2 hectares in 1968 and made his first commercial release in 1975.

Davo

Post by Davo »

n4sir wrote:
1998 Chris Ringland (Three Rivers) Shiraz - the first of the 'Parkerised' wines, quickly followed by Noon & WDC. A whole new export avenue opened to the USA for smaller producers on the back of these first reviews, and a new major influence on local winemaking styles was taking form...

Cheers,
Ian

Greenock Creek RR 1995 (" this is one of the greatest Shiraz I have ever tasted" RP) 1996 & 1998 all 100 Parker Points

Three Rivers 1995 (99 points) 1996 and 1998 both 100 points

Jay60A

Post by Jay60A »

Davo wrote:
n4sir wrote:
1998 Chris Ringland (Three Rivers) Shiraz - the first of the 'Parkerised' wines, quickly followed by Noon & WDC. A whole new export avenue opened to the USA for smaller producers on the back of these first reviews, and a new major influence on local winemaking styles was taking form...

Cheers,
Ian

Greenock Creek RR 1995 (" this is one of the greatest Shiraz I have ever tasted" RP) 1996 & 1998 all 100 Parker Points

I think you have to identify the Industry change, then the wine, and the decide if the wine (or maker) really did something that caused the change.
Not just list a series of very good wines. Did a winery in a new region change the whole industry or simply establish a new region ... picky I know.

As a non-Aussie interested in reds -

O'Shea (McWilliams) and Preece (Seepelt) for promoting great wine-making and blending => winemaking tradition
Grange (for showing Oz can make world-class wine) => nuff said
Greenock Creek or Torbreck (for opening up RPs eyes) => trendsetter
Koonunga Hill and Jacobs Creek (for amazing value-for-money and spearheading the export charge) => predates Yellowtail
Grosset for pushing screwcap as the standard for whites and many reds. => the Portugese cork-screwers hate you.

Henschke will be seen as the first proven great single-site Terroir-driven wines for HOG and Edelstone I think. Regionality and sub-regionality are but an interim step in the search for great single-vineyard sites? I'm sure others will argue older sites but again, looking from afar I see Henschke as the torch-bearer here ...

I tried to find something about the Hunter, maybe Bin 3110/00 but I can't see what it proved. That Hunter makes the odd great wine ... yes ... but didn't change anything. Lakes Folly, the original boutique winery ... maybe ...

Cheers -- Jay
“There are no standards of taste in wine. Each mans own taste is the standard, and a majority vote cannot decide for him or in any slightest degree affect the supremacy of his own standard". Mark Twain.

El Josho

Post by El Josho »

In the beginning (kind of)...
Barossa Perle for bringing wine to the masses, and making middle Australia aware that there is more to it than port and sherry.

The 70's and 80's were about more than One Day Cricket...
Anything in a goonskin for simply letting Mum and Dad have a glass or two with dinner, making wine an 'everyday' thing, not an intellectual, elitist, academic excerise. A simple beverage that make food taste nicer.

My, look how we've grown...
Penfolds Grange for bringing Australian fine wine credentials to the world, and opening up the door for so many smaller boutique wineries to walk through.
"It wasn't the wine," murmured Mr. Snodgrass, in a broken voice. "It was the salmon."
Charles Dickens, Pickwick Papers

Murray

Post by Murray »

1998 Richmond Grove Watervale Riesling
1998 Richmond Grove Eden Valley Riesling

Both bottled in screwcap for Vintage Cellars as an exclusive "Cellaring Initiative". As a direct result of the success of this release the screwcap was relaunched to now become a mainstream alternative seal for bottled wine.

to this I'd add further John Vickery Leo Buring Rieslings from the early 1970s, when these were re-released in the 1990's it turned people to the ageworthyness of Rieslings which had a part in Vickery endorsing the VC initiative above.
Murray Almond

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Murray wrote:1998 Richmond Grove Watervale Riesling

Both bottled in screwcap for Vintage Cellars as an exclusive "Cellaring Initiative". As a direct result of the success of this release the screwcap was relaunched to now become a mainstream alternative seal for bottled wine.

to this I'd add further John Vickery Leo Buring Rieslings from the early 1970s, when these were re-released in the 1990's it turned people to the ageworthyness of Rieslings which had a part in Vickery endorsing the VC initiative above.

I believe you have a greater depth of knowledge on the screwcap thing than I Murray but how many people bought the RGW and RGE from VC with it's then number of outlets and shared your revelation?

Certainly those aged Burings under screwcap demonstrated the efficacy of the seal and led to it's wider acceptance and use by wineries. Regardless of the luddites thing, I reckon it's the best seal currently available for any wine other than bubbles (crown seals seem the best alternative here). Not sure about your comment regarding wider acceptance of aged riesling though, aged whites are very much a niche market. Those I've had have, whilst mostly enjoyable, been more curios than wines I'd drink on a regular basis.

Cheers

daz

Murray

Post by Murray »

Daryl Douglas wrote:
Murray wrote:1998 Richmond Grove Watervale Riesling

I believe you have a greater depth of knowledge on the screwcap thing than I Murray but how many people bought the RGW and RGE from VC with it's then number of outlets and shared your revelation?

Certainly those aged Burings under screwcap demonstrated the efficacy of the seal and led to it's wider acceptance and use by wineries. Regardless of the luddites thing, I reckon it's the best seal currently available for any wine other than bubbles (crown seals seem the best alternative here). Not sure about your comment regarding wider acceptance of aged riesling though, aged whites are very much a niche market. Those I've had have, whilst mostly enjoyable, been more curios than wines I'd drink on a regular basis.

Cheers

daz

Daz,

My revelation came with the the Seppelt 1984 Arrawatta Riesling that my tasting buddy Gail had given me in 1996 and 1997. I was a convert from there.

It was the press and market reaction to the VC initiative; largely driven by Halliday in the Weekend Oz, but supported by on the floor sales that drove the Care Valley makers to jump on board.

The VC initiative didn't change the market overnight; however it gave the makers the initiative to have a crack at screwcap as an alternative to cork. As such the market then changed. Some may say it was the Clare makers as a collective that introduced screwcap to the mass market; others will say the NZ Savvy makers. But it was the 1998 Richmond Groves that ignited the spark.

As such, those wines changed the industry
Murray Almond

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Murray, I bow to your superior knowledge of genesis of the really quite remarkable growth in the volume of wines sealed by screwcap. Like you and Halliday (well he seems to be), I'm a strong proponent of the seal.

Still reckon aged whites appeal only to a small niche market though.

Cheers

daz

Boyeah

Clonakilla first Sucessful SV in Aust ? what about RunRig?

Post by Boyeah »

griff wrote:

cheers

Carl
Everyday is a bonus! Drink the best wine you can afford.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Davo wrote:
griff wrote:
Davo wrote:
griff wrote:

Carl

cheers

Carl

http://www.plantagenetwines.com/go/about-us/history

http://www.foresthillwines.com.au/history.htm

http://www.wineaustralia.com/australia/ ... tAustralia

daz
Last edited by Daryl Douglas on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

griff

Re: Clonakilla first Sucessful SV in Aust ? what about RunRi

Post by griff »

Boyeah wrote:Re: Clonakilla first Sucessful SV in Aust ? What about RunRig

I took the liberty of taking your words out of the subject line. First Runrig was about 1995. Clonakilla created waves several years before that.

cheers

Carl

Murray

Re: Clonakilla first Sucessful SV in Aust ? what about RunRi

Post by Murray »

griff wrote:
Boyeah wrote:Re: Clonakilla first Sucessful SV in Aust ? What about RunRig

I took the liberty of taking your words out of the subject line. First Runrig was about 1995. Clonakilla created waves several years before that.

cheers

Carl

Yarra Yering Dry Red No 2 is Shiraz Viognier and goes back to the 70's.
Murray Almond

scribbler

Post by scribbler »

Yarra Yering No 2 started out with some Marsanne in it; viognier came later...

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Jay60A wrote:
Davo wrote:
n4sir wrote:

Cheers,
Ian

I think you have to identify the Industry change, then the wine, and the decide if the wine (or maker) really did something that caused the change.

Cheers -- Jay

Chris Ringland's Three Rivers was mentioned in Campbell Mattinson's book "Why the French Hate Us" as the starting point of the Parker effect, quickly followed by Noon & WDC, which is why I picked them out (he didn't mention Greenock Creek though - maybe they preceded them, or happened the same time or even afterwards). I stuffed up on the dates/vintages though - it would have been the 1995 vintage that was reviewed in 1998, which is where I went amiss. :oops:

When you try and narrow it down, it's hard to nail down specific wines that really influenced/represented the whole Australian wine industry at a major point in its history, which is what I've tried to pick. Not just the first major wine in a particular region or the first of its type, one that has had a major impact on virtually everything, everywhere. That's one reason I think Yellowtail deserves a mention (for better or worse) in addition to Jacob's Creek.

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Davo wrote:
Davo wrote:
griff wrote:
Davo wrote:
griff wrote:

Carl

cheers

Carl

I was close but no cigar:-

1st grapes planted in 1859 George Egerton-Warburton - long since defunct although wine made from them beat all comers at the 1902 Mt Barker Ag Show

Ag Dept planted a trial vineyard (2023 hectares, sounds bloody huge for a trial but that is what the literature says. Probably 2.023 ha as = 5 acres) at Tony Pearse's property Forest Hill 1965-66, planted and nurtured by Bill Jamison, grapes sent to Hought for vinification by Jack and Dorham Mann.

Plantaganet (A Smith) planted 2 hectares in 1968 and made his first commercial release in 1975.

Did you check the links I posted above, Davo? That 1859 vineyard takes the cake but I guess it depends on whether there's still a producing vineyard.

Cheers

daz

Davo

Post by Davo »

Yeah Daz, I came across those links when checking against my own memory. I guess I am overdue for a hard drive and ram upgrade :lol:

Ironically, the Egerton-Warburtons came up in a discussion I was having on a slightly different topic with one of my Ag Dept mates only tonight.