Wakey wakey get of of bed, the Sunday weekly reports are due

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Muscat Mike

Re: Clonakilla Viognier 2002

Post by Muscat Mike »

I'd like to know if anyone else has noticed anything like this in their Viognier experiences? As I say, everything I'd experienced previously was still there, it just lacked the harmony & integration of previous bottles.

lantana[/quote]

Lantana,
I bought a case of '02 Tahbilk Viognier 9-12 months ago. Tried one immediately, VG. Tried one about 5-6 months ago, not so good. Had a couple at Christmas and it was again VG.
Whether it was bottle variation, cork closure, or went through a shut down period I do not know.
MM.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Turkey Fat Shiraz 2001- Initially a nose of ripe fruit and Barossa chocolate. Felt it too ripe and developed.

After time in a decanter ( brutal water jug ) the wine was solid. A layer of dark fruit ; structure and class evident aswell. No disputing the 10 year climb to maturity- predicted on the bottle's label.

Plantagenet 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon- Big, bold Mt Barker cabernet sauvignon. I felt it needs some time to settle down. A touch of youthful rawness at this stage.

Plenty of fruit and flesh to see this Plantagenet benefit many years in the cellar. Far more so, in my opinion, than the 98 & 99.

Piper Hieidsieck NV- I like this style. Yeast and hazelnuts evident. Enjoyed on the flight home from a boozy ( no wine ) weekend in Athens.

Adair

Post by Adair »

brad wrote:
Adair wrote:2002 Sandalford Cabernet Sauvignon - not Recommended

Adair, tried this on many occasions lately, found it to be the best Sandalford cab in a long time. Also took out major award at MR Wine Show in December.

Can you elaborate?

Cheers, brad

Not a bad wine but just not up to a Recommended rating. I am not sure of the soil/climate of the grapes for this wine but I always find that the acidity over dominates the fruit and makes the wine seem lean and unpleasant to my palate, and this 2002 was not different. It had varietal red fruits but not enough to outweigh the acid. The best I could say is that it was agreeable with hearty/fatty food.

I may as well comment on the wine I had last night on the way back from Adelaide (to Sydney) on QANTAS - 2003 Rothbury Shiraz - an absolute disgrace that QANTAS even think of serving this wine to passengers!!! Someone representing Rothbury conned someone at QANTAS. I wish I was drinking the Sandalford :wink: .

Adair

simm

Post by simm »

michaelw wrote:1999 Leasingham Bastion Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz: Fine, chalky tannins and plenty of fruit. It had a great nose and just felt good in the mouth. This is the second time I've had this wine (first time about 2 years ago) and I was much more impressed the second time around.
For the price and my latest experience with this wine I'd have to rate it recommended.

Hi Michael, try the 2000, it is just that little bit better IMO. Less lolly in it as I recall. I have one bottle of each on the cellar list but can't find any of it, must have gone to the big 2am fall-over glass in the sky.

best,
simm.

"I ain't drunk! I' still drinkin' !!"

simm

Post by simm »

Adair wrote:
brad wrote:
Adair wrote:2002 Sandalford Cabernet Sauvignon - not Recommended

Adair, tried this on many occasions lately, found it to be the best Sandalford cab in a long time. Also took out major award at MR Wine Show in December.

Can you elaborate?

Cheers, brad

Not a bad wine but just not up to a Recommended rating. I am not sure of the soil/climate of the grapes for this wine but I always find that the acidity over dominates the fruit and makes the wine seem lean and unpleasant to my palate, and this 2002 was not different. It had varietal red fruits but not enough to outweigh the acid. The best I could say is that it was agreeable with hearty/fatty food.

I may as well comment on the wine I had last night on the way back from Adelaide (to Sydney) on QANTAS - 2003 Rothbury Shiraz - an absolute disgrace that QANTAS even think of serving this wine to passengers!!! Someone representing Rothbury conned someone at QANTAS. I wish I was drinking the Sandalford :wink: .

Adair

Hi Adair,

I can't work Sandalford out. The 98 Cab was cloying with sugars ( at least the one I had in a restaurant was (?), the 2001 was better but nothing special, and certainly not worth the price, and now you say the 2002 is swinging all the way to the other side of the 98. What are they up to?

As for the in flight drinking, you didn't have to put up with "Fluer de Lynch" Cab from Bordeaux that I found on the Japan airlines. That's what it says and thats what it is, wouldn't swallow it in a pink fit, but I did grab a bottle for the wine society boys because the label was so funny. :lol:

cheers
simm.

"I ain't drunk! I' still drinkin' !!"

PaulV

Post by PaulV »

[quote="Adair]

Adair[/quote]

Hi Adair

While you were flying from Adelaide I was probably flying from brisbane having the same wine. Actually Ii thought it was pretty good for what it is. I nearly choked when i saw it was a 2003 but found it far better than the usual Lindemans carawarra or bin whatever - it didn't have the usual fermented light cordial nose and actually had some depth of fruit in the middle - i actually thought well done beringer blass. Took an extra one home to drink for dinner and then use to store leftovers of any bottle my wife and I can't get through - it's stelvin sealed and a cute bottle says my 17 year old daughter.

Cheers
paulV

Adair

Post by Adair »

PaulV wrote:
Adair wrote:I may as well comment on the wine I had last night on the way back from Adelaide (to Sydney) on QANTAS - 2003 Rothbury Shiraz - an absolute disgrace that QANTAS even think of serving this wine to passengers!!! Someone representing Rothbury conned someone at QANTAS. I wish I was drinking the Sandalford :wink: .

Adair

Hi Adair

While you were flying from Adelaide I was probably flying from brisbane having the same wine. Actually Ii thought it was pretty good for what it is. I nearly choked when i saw it was a 2003 but found it far better than the usual Lindemans carawarra or bin whatever - it didn't have the usual fermented light cordial nose and actually had some depth of fruit in the middle - i actually thought well done beringer blass. Took an extra one home to drink for dinner and then use to store leftovers of any bottle my wife and I can't get through - it's stelvin sealed and a cute bottle says my 17 year old daughter.

Cheers
paulV

Hello Paul,

Good to hear from you. I found the wine to be too riddled with residual sugar for me to be able to drink anymore than a small taste. I found slightly underripe fruit and definitely too much acid, constrasting terribly with the sugar and fruit. It would have been better as the lean wine it was meant to be. May be I was in a bad mood. I was in the middle seat! I expect more of QANTAS having had the Wolf Blass Red Label many times and finding the cheap Bin 65/Penfolds/etc Chardonnays to be reasonable as well. I also skip the Lindy Bin 50 Shiraz. Maybe I was just in a bad mood becasue the person next to me chose the Koonunga Chandonnay that I wanted it!

Adair

Noel

Sandalford Cabernet 2002

Post by Noel »

Interested in the debate on this one. Having read the posts amazed when the new Sandalford rep in the Uk brought me in one of these to try!!
Have to say i quite liked it. Cassis and black cherry on the nose. Touch of blackcurrant pastile and cedar on the palate. Chalky soft tannins and well intergrated oak. Acid not a problem-well balanced in fact. Not amazing, but given i would sell this in the uk for £10 = $24 ithought a voluptuous good drink, and believe me i am harsh!! 8)

Adair

Re: Sandalford Cabernet 2002

Post by Adair »

Noel wrote:Interested in the debate on this one. Having read the posts amazed when the new Sandalford rep in the Uk brought me in one of these to try!!
Have to say i quite liked it. Cassis and black cherry on the nose. Touch of blackcurrant pastile and cedar on the palate. Chalky soft tannins and well intergrated oak. Acid not a problem-well balanced in fact. Not amazing, but given i would sell this in the uk for £10 = $24 ithought a voluptuous good drink, and believe me i am harsh!! 8)

Very interesting - I have the sort of palate that finds many wines over voluptuous. It is as if I was tasting a different wine.

Adair

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Adair wrote:
Noel wrote:Interested in the debate on this one. Having read the posts amazed when the new Sandalford rep in the Uk brought me in one of these to try!!

Very interesting - I have the sort of palate that finds many wines over voluptuous. It is as if I was tasting a different wine.

Adair

I have also heard very good reports of this wine...and what is wrong with 99 in the Hunter? Certainly good if not great.
GW

Adair

Post by Adair »

Gary W wrote:I have also heard very good reports of this wine
Yes, and have any of them come from renowned tasters?!

Gary W wrote:...and what is wrong with 99 in the Hunter? Certainly good if not great.
GW
I realise that 1999 is meant to be a good vintage in the Hunter but I have found all Chardonnays I have tasted, which I admit is only a small subsection but which includes Tyrrells, Saddler's Creek, Scarborough and Mount Pleasant (I think), to be lacking intensity and dissappointing. Thinking about it, I really should have qualified my statement and said that the 1999 Hunter vintage for Chardonnay is dissappointing. I have not had many Semillons but I was pleased with the Elizabeth and the Shiraz from many producers has been exceptional, even better than the vintages either side.

Thanks for picking me up.

Adair

Noel

Sanda;ford Cabernet 2002

Post by Noel »

Interesting indeed Adair. Maybe the fact that it is below freezing here in Cambridge!! Seriously though i have been with many winemakers who find their wines taste different over here, maybe something to do with the climate...?

michaelw

Post by michaelw »

simm wrote:
michaelw wrote:1999 Leasingham Bastion Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz: Fine, chalky tannins and plenty of fruit. It had a great nose and just felt good in the mouth. This is the second time I've had this wine (first time about 2 years ago) and I was much more impressed the second time around.
For the price and my latest experience with this wine I'd have to rate it recommended.

Hi Michael, try the 2000, it is just that little bit better IMO. Less lolly in it as I recall. I have one bottle of each on the cellar list but can't find any of it, must have gone to the big 2am fall-over glass in the sky.

best,

Sounds like a plan. Thanks simm.
Ciao,

michaelw

You know it makes sense!

PaulV

Post by PaulV »

Adair

Don't you just hate being given the middle seat on a qantas flight. Things seemed to be going from worse to worse on qantas domestic. Stingy and tasteless snacks in boxes that look to be worth more than the snack.

On the flight up yesterday the guy in fronts seat was broken so he could only have it reclining even on the ascent and decent. On the way home my seat wouldn't recline so when the guy in front reclined I had his greasy hair in my face. let's not get into the tightness of fit of the 3 seats on the 737. And every flight now seems to be 100% or more full. have you had the situation where for some reason - usually seems a bit iffy - they cancel an earlier flight and then cram everyone onto the later larger plane.

sorry for the rave :evil:

Paul
ps the red probably did have some residual sugar - though it did seem to suit the very drink now style.

Adair

Post by Adair »

PaulV wrote:Adair

Don't you just hate being given the middle seat on a qantas flight. Things seemed to be going from worse to worse on qantas domestic. Stingy and tasteless snacks in boxes that look to be worth more than the snack.

On the flight up yesterday the guy in fronts seat was broken so he could only have it reclining even on the ascent and decent. On the way home my seat wouldn't recline so when the guy in front reclined I had his greasy hair in my face. let's not get into the tightness of fit of the 3 seats on the 737. And every flight now seems to be 100% or more full. have you had the situation where for some reason - usually seems a bit iffy - they cancel an earlier flight and then cram everyone onto the later larger plane.

sorry for the rave :evil:

Paul
ps the red probably did have some residual sugar - though it did seem to suit the very drink now style.

Half my working life is on 737-400s (old - flat wing), 737-700s (flat wing) and/or 737-800s (wings that curve up) - not really but it feels like it.

I was having a good run for a while with having a vacant middle seat but last night was one of those 101% booked flights. Not fun!

With regard to residual sugar, I have never enjoyed a red (excluding bubbles) that I have been able to detect residual sugar. For that matter, I can't remember an Australian white that I have been able to detect sugar and still enjoyed. Blackwood Park, Tahbilk, Clonakilla Riesling - I don't enjoy any of them. Europe is of course a different story.

Kind regards,
Adair

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Adair wrote:
PaulV wrote:
With regard to residual sugar, I have never enjoyed a red (excluding bubbles) that I have been able to detect residual sugar. For that matter, I can't remember an Australian white that I have been able to detect sugar and still enjoyed. Blackwood Park, Tahbilk, Clonakilla Riesling - I don't enjoy any of them. Europe is of course a different story.

Kind regards,
Adair

Hello

I tried a few yesterday at the NZ Wine SHow Riesling Masterclass with residual sugar that I enjoyed greatly, especially the 2002 Pegausus Bay Riesling.

That said, I know of few Aussie's I like, and the wine was not 'Australian' style Riesling at all .... great wine though.
regards

Gavin Trott

PaulV

Post by PaulV »

Orlando Steingarten 1997 [cork] Lovely green mid gold colour, limey, minerally nose with no kero. Quite rich palate but still some nice acid to keep the structure fresh and fine. Has blossomed in the last year from a very austere and acid dominated wine. Drink now or over next 3 years. Shows again that eden valley was far superior to Clare in 1997.

Wither Hills Sauvignon Blanc 2003 (screwcap] Fresh mown grass with some passionfruit as well. Not too overtly or agressively SB. Nice fresh palate, pretty simple , lacks the intensity and cut of the 2002. Buy the 2002.

Pattersons Pinot Noir 1998 [cork] A Mt barker pinot with nice mushroomy, earthy nose but with some lactic component that flattens it a bit. Quite a rich palate with good length - unusual for an oz pinot. lacks real complexity and more a soft red than a pinot but nevertheless an interesting wine.

Cairanne Cuilleron CdRvillage 1999 [cork] fresh spicy nose with some dirt and a bit grenache "rustic". Nice meduim weight palate a bit simple and slightly short finish - but nice on a warm night.

Cheers

paul

Adam

Post by Adam »

Had a few last night:

1992 Bollinger Grand Annee: Lots of biscuity, yeasty aromas on the nose, opens up a bit to reveal green apple, flavour profile continues on the palate. Drinking well now, unlikely to improve much further.

1999 Zind Humbrecht Pinot Gris: Lots of pear and peach, plus really ripe apples, developed in the glass alot to display abundant honeyed characteristics, definately on the sweeter side. Very nice though.

1980 Chateau Margaux: lots of truffles and earthy characteristics, a bit of cassis still holding but fading. very soft and elegant on the palate. Just dropping off the edge of its plateau, drink now.

1989 Mondavi Reserve Cabernet: alot of leather and earthy characters, red currants but the wine is definately a few years past its best, should have been drunk maybe 6 years ago, a tough vintage but a good wine for a tough year.

1997 Providence Matakana: The Le Pin of NZ?? I think not, opened up a lot over the night but displayed too much acidity for me. Nice sweet nose though but the mouthfeel and finish just werent there...worth the $250 certain aussie retailers are asking (Not gav)...No!.

Cheers, Adam

Rob

Post by Rob »

Adair wrote:Half my working life is on 737-400s (old - flat wing), 737-700s (flat wing) and/or 737-800s (wings that curve up) - not really but it feels like it.

I was having a good run for a while with having a vacant middle seat but last night was one of those 101% booked flights. Not fun!

Adair,

With the amount of flights you do, you should have decent amount of frequent flyer points. I have been cashing in on my points for business calss for longer flights. If flying to melbourne or brisbane I normally will put up with it. I do fly as early as possible to avoid over loading. I rarely fly in the peak time.

cheers
Rob