Whats everyone drinking tonight (NYE) ?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
platinum

Whats everyone drinking tonight (NYE) ?

Post by platinum »

Unlike Christmas (and near on 40 degrees last new years) the weather will be cooler here which means RED; about time.

I will be drinking

Lindemans ST George Cab 1995
Leasingham Classic Clare Sparkling Shiraz 1998
Bin 389 1998 (Backup or if still thirsty :P )

Happy New Year to all

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

I have a real conundrum for occasions like this. It's a big occasion which deserves a good wine, but being at a big party means you just can't savour it and it's usually from a plastic cup at best. So I tend to just drinking middling type wines but feel I've wasted the occasion. So I might just go for a 2001 Filsell Shiraz and a 1999 Bests CabSav.

monghead

Post by monghead »

dave vino wrote:I have a real conundrum for occasions like this. It's a big occasion which deserves a good wine, but being at a big party means you just can't savour it and it's usually from a plastic cup at best. So I tend to just drinking middling type wines but feel I've wasted the occasion. So I might just go for a 2001 Filsell Shiraz and a 1999 Bests CabSav.

Yeah, that's why in the last few years, we have been having smaller get togethers, specifically to enjoy good food and great wine.

Happy New Year All!

Cheers,

Monghead.

Paullie

Post by Paullie »

I'm having new years here so all good. I've got to go downstairs and stand some bottles up.

Shiraz_Freak

Post by Shiraz_Freak »

JD
"It all tastes like Grange after 2 bottles"

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

With a really big group of wine loving friends, so there will be lots of interesting stuff, I'm sure.

I'm taking

2005 Grosset Polish Hill Riesling

and

2000 Wendouree Shiraz Mataro

Looking forward to both!

Happy New Year all forumites
regards

Gavin Trott

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Some Egly-Ouriet, some Rockford Black Shiraz and Vine Vale riesling and a few mixed Artisans of the Barossa wines.

I just went for a drive by myself up to the Steingarten vineyard (quite hard to find if you haven't been before....if anyone visits the Barossa it's well worth going and having a look....best if you have a 4x4 and don't attempt in the wet :D) just to have a peek as it is in a beautiful setting and the view from up there is amazing so I might have to drag out a few Steingartens also.
Last edited by DaveB on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seddo

Post by seddo »

Nothing - I'm working - safe and happy New Year to all

cheers
Seddo

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

DaveB wrote:I just went for a drive by myself up to the Steingarten vineyard (quite hard to find if you haven't been before....if anyone visits the Barossa it's well worth going and having a look....best if you have a 4x4 and don't attempt in the wet :D) just to have a peek as it is in a beautiful setting and the view from up there is amazing so I might have to drag out a few Steingartens also.

Is it possible to walk from one of the towns Dave?

Always like to mix a bit of fitness when boozing....

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Vilmart Grande Reserve Brut n/v
07 Meerea Park Hell Hole Semillon

Paullie

Post by Paullie »

2005 Howard Park Riesling
1998 Glaetzer Shiraz
2002 Woody Nook Shiraz
2003 Wolf Blass Cabernet Sauvignon Gold Label
2001 Lindemans Shiraz Reserve
N.V. Oakover Muscat
N.V. Campbells Trophy Muscat

Some sparkling too, and there may be more... we'll see.

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Lincoln wrote:Vilmart Grande Reserve Brut n/v

Tell us how the Vilmart is. Thats a short list for NYE - staying at home?

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Wizz wrote:

I will write a note on the Vilmart, promise.
Yes, a quiet one tonight.... first time for several years

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Fairly quiet one as I'm thinking of going a lot harder tomorrow when the public transport is easier and all the tourists are at home with hangovers but will be with friends watching the fireworks from their balcony. Probably take some beer but also a bottle of NV Grant Burge sparkling and a NV Lanson Rose Champagne. HAVE to have champagne of some description at midnight.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

JamieBahrain wrote:
DaveB wrote:I just went for a drive by myself up to the Steingarten vineyard (quite hard to find if you haven't been before....if anyone visits the Barossa it's well worth going and having a look....best if you have a 4x4 and don't attempt in the wet :D) just to have a peek as it is in a beautiful setting and the view from up there is amazing so I might have to drag out a few Steingartens also.

Yup...sure is Jamie....the Mawson trail goes right past it and the Heyson trail also. If you were to walk from Rowland Flat you trek up Steingarten Road (duh!!) probably about 3km....past Orlandos big arsed tank farm, past Leibich and a Schild estate Vineyard to the base of the ranges. There is a water tank and a mobile phone tower there.....there is a sign saying "Dry weather road only" here and the dirt road steepens. After trudging up quite steeply for about 2km you'll come to a closed gate.

There are some Mawson and Heyson trail markers here and a wee map on a post. Go through the gate and close it after you. After about another 1km you'll see the vineyard enclosed by a stone wall and another closed gate. You can go through that gate and there are wooden viewing platforms on both the East and West sides of the dirt road.

I like the view up there better than Menglers Hill.....the vineyard there actually faces east at 450m on a steep slope and is close planted on really lean schist soils...it's a really beautiful spot.

The other option is to mountain bike down the Mawson trail......nice downhill run all the way.

Give me a yell when you are over here next and we'll go for a spin up there.

Davo

Post by Davo »

DaveB wrote:
JamieBahrain wrote:

Yup...sure is Jamie....the Mawson trail goes right past it and the Heyson trail also. If you were to walk from Rowland Flat you trek up Steingarten Road (duh!!) probably about 3km....past Orlandos big arsed tank farm, past Leibich and a Schild estate Vineyard to the base of the ranges. There is a water tank and a mobile phone tower there.....there is a sign saying "Dry weather road only" here and the dirt road steepens. After trudging up quite steeply for about 2km you'll come to a closed gate.

There are some Mawson and Heyson trail markers here and a wee map on a post. Go through the gate and close it after you. After about another 1km you'll see the vineyard enclosed by a stone wall and another closed gate. You can go through that gate and there are wooden viewing platforms on both the East and West sides of the dirt road.

I like the view up there better than Menglers Hill.....the vineyard there actually faces east at 450m on a steep slope and is close planted on really lean schist soils...it's a really beautiful spot.

The other option is to mountain bike down the Mawson trail......nice downhill run all the way.

And watch out for the hares. They get really big and savage up there, especially in March.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

bacchaebabe wrote: HAVE to have champagne of some description at midnight.

Likewise, Kris. In my case (37' in Perth) I have been conned into putting on a small BBQ here for those who didn't want to brave the crowds. I agree with the bubbles at midnight - in my case Chandon NV and a 99 Original Sparkling Shiraz (to bring in 2009)

Other wines will include 1999 (again) Fermoy Cabernet (MR), and a few decent chardonnays that I have posted on previously.

Have a good one, everyone, and here's to 2009!

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Lincoln wrote:
Wizz wrote:

I will write a note on the Vilmart, promise.
Yes, a quiet one tonight.... first time for several years

Vilmart was most excellent :-)

David

Post by David »

As much as possible given the gaze of SWMBO.

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

The wife and I are doing shifts tonight (our pride and joy is in bed). So two more hours for me then

Hoegarden (and lots of it)
Blanton’s Burbon
Glenmorangie scotch (three different types)
Gold label Johnny Walker
Three different XO Cognacs to finish off (Martell, Remy Martin and Hennessy) of course with the obligatory Monitcristo cigar (x2).

Safe and great new year to all.

Sam

Grey Ghost

Post by Grey Ghost »

Villa Maria Reserve Pinot noir, 2004 (excellent)

Linde's Watervale Spaetlese 197? (silverfish have eaten that bit), soft cork, but sound, dry but still showing marmalade plus deep kerosene. Lovely, lovely wine.

Liindauer Reserve just on midnight (we're two hour's ahead remember)

Now a selection of Glenlivet, Ardbeg, Caol Isla and Laphroaig.

(does anyone notice I like Islays?)

Top of the New Year to all!

GG

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

DaveB wrote:
JamieBahrain wrote:

Sounds great Dave. Hopefully down in Feb'.