The Bar Humbug Sunday before Xmiss

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TORB

The Bar Humbug Sunday before Xmiss

Post by TORB »

Hi Good Peoples,

Its that tie of the week yet again. Please let us know what you have been drinking over the last week. Lists, vibes, impressions etc welcome.

I took my staff out for our annual pre Christmas dinner and had a great time, but can't remember much about what we drank. :wink: I was to busy enjoying myself. :)
However, we did consume 4 bottles of Leasingham 1998 Classic Clare FRS which went down a treat. (Brian - not the faintest whiff of Brett in any of them.)
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Pol Roger NV - pretty good but a bit broad and simplistic for my tastes....a standing up style.

Larmandier Bernier Terre de Vertus
- The Pol looked aldehydic next to this....fresh as bro....lovely crunchy green apple and fresh pastry characters....lovely stuff.

Rockford Semillon 2004 - very good...toasty and grassy. Nice weight in the mouth.

Domaine Huet Vouvray Sec 2007
- vibrant and sharply structured with lovely ripe quince and citrus fruits, minerals, floral top notes, fennel and hair oil. Super little wines.

Rudi Pichler Wosendofer Kirchweg Riesling Smaragd 2004
- I really liked this....records for this vineyard site in the Wachau go back to 1050....super rich and dense in the mouth, lovely fruit purity and dripping with minerals with a curious petrichor character that I really dug.....two thumbs up.

Francois Chidaine Les Argiles Vouvray 2006 - this dudes a gun...I've tucked into some of his Montlouis's this year but the Vouvray is lovely too. Quince, honey, roasted almonds and spice this wine is precise and sharply focussed and bloody good.

Yvon Metras L'Ultime Fleurie 2005
- I've heard a lot about this cats wines from some wine trainspotting mates and I finally got to try a bottle thanks to Frase.....in the process finding out where d'Arenberg nicked their label design from. A fantastic wine from this notoriously, hard to deal with producer....rare as rocking horse shite the majority of his production heads to Japan and he hates selling to retail....great concentrated wild cherry characters, spice, dark loamy/schisty goodness.....bloody fantastic wine and sits alongside Beaujolais producers like Lapierre, Foillard and Chignard as the top of his field.

Domaine-Prieure Roch Vosne-Romanee Les Clous 2005 - super gear from the domaine of DRC's co-manager...super aromatic, gamey and complex constantly shape shifting in the glass.....uber-noice.

Domaine Prieure-Roch Vosne Romanee 1er Les Suchots 2005 - again heady, gamey aromatics and classic Vosne Asian spice but bigger boned and very drying tannins on the finish....not sure how these tannins will resolve but it's a pretty firm wine but ohhhh so good.

Emmanuel Rouget Vosne-Romanee 2002 - lovely wine from Henry Jayer's nephew...the cork had seen better days but the wine was sound....super complex and silky, lovely fruit weight.

Philippe Chesnelong Les Creissses VdP 2004 - details a bit sketchy on this one but I know it's a blend of Carignan and Grenache and I know it was a bit weird and reductive and was duly poured back into the bottle for revisiting the next day.

Clos Rougeard Les Poyeux Samur Champigny 2000 - the King of the cult wines....out cults Rayas and every 3-star Michelin restaurant in France trip over themselves to try and get a few bottles on release.....in the Dressner portfolio it says "Bettane listed it as one of the most memorable wines of his life.....So have we........Would you like to buy some?.....It is exceptionally expensive......And it is sold out!!!!.....cracking wine and the pinnacle of Cabernet Franc in the Loire.

Pierre Overnoy Arbois Pupillin 2007 - probably close on the WOTN for me....it's the 2nd time I've had this wine this year from this great estate in the Jura and it is awesome....Overnoy was a guru, a student of the methods of Jules Chauvet and produces wines that sing of the earth. Overnoy retired in 2001 and Emmanuel Houillon....who started with Pierre in 1990.....has taken over the reins. The grape variety is Poulsard and if you were after one wine with which to explain the concept of terroir....this would be a shoo-in....awesome!

Teusner Astral Series Riebke FG Shiraz 2006 - took the rest of this home after showing some folks it earlier in the day. Only in bottle for a week and a half and already looking super.....super concentrated and rich, great weight in the mouth....which I guess you'd expect from 135 y/o vines....tannins and structure look spot on.

Kalleske Grenache 2006
- deeply fruited with blackberry and plummy goodness...nice spicy facets and chocablock full of flavour....very nice

seddo

Post by seddo »

Had a mate down from QLD who I had not seen in a year - so may wines were consumed:
Night 1

Shaw and Smith Shiraz 06 - was only hitting it straps 4hrs after opening - by then it had been consumed, think the 05 was better

Voyager Estate CM 03 - even after a 2 hour decant it was still closed but very cabernet and for my palate - medium bodied

Night 2

Cape Mentelle shiraz 02 - starting to have that aged look about it but is was a lovely spicey type of wine with nice palatable dark fruits - last bottle and definitely the best.

Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir 06 - woah - what a wine smells and tastes of strawberries - wonderful mouth feel - WOTW - this wine was matched with grilled atlantic salmon with asian vegies and a sweet chilli sauce made from fresh chillies, palm sugar, lemon grass and other ingredients I can not remember but the wine and food was heavenly

other wines - Teusener Riebke 06 - great as ever, Tar and Roses 07 shiraz great wine.

cheers
Seddo

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

seddo wrote:

Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir 06 - woah - what a wine smells and tastes of strawberries - wonderful mouth feel - WOTW - this wine was matched with grilled atlantic salmon with asian vegies and a sweet chilli sauce made from fresh chillies, palm sugar, lemon grass and other ingredients I can not remember but the wine and food was heavenly

I agree this wine is pretty good - not a WOTW for me (although I'd say some weeks it'd be a fair candidate) but good nonetheless. Varietal and interesting.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Rockford White Frontignac 2008
Sweet but balanced. Well made wine.

Orlando St Hugo 2001
I fear this is losing pace with the pack. Tannins poking out all over the shop with the rest of it subsiding a bit. All angular and prickly, I don't know what the future of this wine is but I suspect it's not great. Would like the next bottle to prove me wrong though.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

94 Henschke Mt Edelstone
Not from my cellar. I thought it could have been slightly heat effected.
A bit hard going.

93 Henschke Mt Edelstone
Followed the 94. Was good, but didnt get me excited.

94 Penfolds Kalimna.
This was brilliant.

94 Leasingham Classic Clare shiraz (JWT)
Very gluggable, but not outstanding in any way

99 Mt Pleasant Elizabeth
Rather yellow, but pleasant enough!

02 Fox Creek Reserve shiraz
A good wine.

05 Schubert Gooseyard shiraz
Ultra ripe, and gluggable. Not sure how long this will last.

04 Laughing Jack shiraz
Something not quite right with this bottle, very vegetal.

04 Mitolo Gam
Very good McLaren shiraz.

98 Rosemount Blue Mudgee Cab / shiraz
Terrific. Really sweet fruit, and enjoyable.

Merry Xmas
Bruce
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Hey Brucer I have some Fox Creek 02 Reserve and was wondering when you think optimum drinking will be?

rednut

Post by rednut »

2004 Wendouree Shiraz Malbec

Smooth, good alcohol 13.5, strong flavours, good oak, lovely drop
"A woman drove me to drink, and I'll be a son of a gun but I never even wrote to thank her" WC Fields

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

Jamie,
I think its just starting its drinking window now , and has the structure to go for another 4, or maybe more if you like really aged reds. Probably will be at its best for me in 2 years.
Bruce
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

McWilliams Barwang Cabernet Sauvignon 2006
Very good value with some medium term potential. Ripe fruit with some oak presence.
Meerea Park Aunts Shiraz 2001
Good Hunter shiraz hitting its straps and could go a few years more, depending on how leathery you like them.
Mount Majura Chardonnay 2005
Rich and creamy, not really buttery, with sufficent acid to support it all. I like this style very much. Very good.

A couple of FRS: Banrock Station The Reserve and The Vixen (Fox Creek)- the former is great quaffing value for starters, the latter is a touch richer and deeper for main course.
"It is very hard to make predictions, especially about the future." Samuel Goldwyn

Nayan

Post by Nayan »

2002 Torbreck Juveniles

Bacon on the nose, with underlying blueberries and red fruit. Soft, fragrant, elegant and a pleasure to drink. Not a keeper, but not fading quickly either.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

cheers brucer I will hook into 'em soon.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

07 Fromm Spatlese
06 Pegasus Bay Aria
07 Carrick Josephine Riesling
05 Neudorf Moutere Chardonnay

Nothing much to complain about there. Now comes a Xmas of trying to get fitter and avoiding as much naughty food and average wine as practical. :lol:
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

michaelw

Post by michaelw »

2007 Felton Road Pinot Noir. First pinot I've had in over 5 years due to the continued frustration with the variety experienced by myself from AU producers. This on the other hand was brilliant. I can't see myself running out and buying loads of AU pinot though. And at the price for this wine, I can't see myself running out and stocking up on good NZ pinots either.

2000 Brown Bros. Sparkling Shiraz (Cellar Door release). Lovely example of sparkling shiraz and not too pricey (just limited in release!). Had this during the annual family Xmas party on the weekend. A great way to kick off festivities!
Ciao,

michaelw

You know it makes sense!

oakboy

Post by oakboy »

In Brissie on holidays, a few from last nite with a mate.

Tyrrells Vat 47 Chardonnay 2001
Lovely age Chardy, super fruit driven nose and soft palate, golden colour. Very good drinking now

St Hallets Rewards Cab Sav 1996
good wine, drinking well now, balance nose but a little dry on the finish

Fox Creek Reserve Cab Sav 2002
A huge monster of a wine, the tannins were massive.... even after 2 hours of breathing, not sure if they will ever soften, but this wine needs a very juicy meat or alot of time.

Ulithorne Frux Frugis Shiraz 2003
Good wine, complex nose of fruit, spice and a hint of white pepper, smooth finish, almost ready.

Carlei Pinot Noir 2005
Excellent wine, nicely in balance, drink now or leave for a couple.

Tonite is a bit of a 99 fest with St henri's, Armagh, Houghtons Gladstones, Woodstocks stocks... Can't wait.
Cheers all

Bick

Post by Bick »

A couple of nice NZ rieslings:

Johner Estate Riesling 08 - probably a bit young yet, but I think its pretty good. Decent character and purity and grapefruity acid; a touch, only, of sweetness.

Pegasus Bay Riesling 03 - with a few years under its belt, this is drinking well. Still a little spritzy and slightly sweet (not so sweet as recent vintages), there's heaps of tropical fruit here. Classy stuff.
Cheers,
Mike

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

oakboy wrote:Fox Creek Reserve Cab Sav 2002
A huge monster of a wine, the tannins were massive.... even after 2 hours of breathing, not sure if they will ever soften, but this wine needs a very juicy meat or alot of time.

The 96 vintage of this only really became ready to drink in the last year or two, still have some 97 and 98, waiting, waiting...
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

still have some 97 and 98, waiting, waiting...

had a 97 last year thanks to a mate, its drinking well. Think I have one left too. Nice wine despite the vintages rep
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

JG

Post by JG »

seddo wrote:
Voyager Estate CM 03 - even after a 2 hour decant it was still closed but very cabernet and for my palate - medium bodied

Has anyone else had one of these recently? I have a few under the house, and had been planning on trying my first on christmas day. Now wondering if too soon.

cheers
JG

seddo

Post by seddo »

JG wrote:
seddo wrote:

Has anyone else had one of these recently? I have a few under the house, and had been planning on trying my first on christmas day. Now wondering if too soon.

cheers
JG

I think so JG - give at least a 4 hr decant

cheers
Seddo

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

seddo wrote:
JG wrote:
seddo wrote:

cheers
JG

cheers
Seddo

Or maybe another year in the cellar - I haven't started on my 2002s yet.

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

seddo

Post by seddo »

Waiters Friend wrote:
seddo wrote:
JG wrote:
seddo wrote:

cheers
JG

cheers
Seddo

Or maybe another year in the cellar - I haven't started on my 2002s yet.

Cheers

Allan

Allan had a 02 earlier in the year and I reckon it was spot on for consuming now

cheers
Seddo

JG

Post by JG »

Thanks, will try an 03 anyway for xmas, and yes will give a good decant. have 2 left for later years.

in past week have tried
- guigal cdr 2005. not as cohesive as the 2004, still great value for money, this must retail for 6 euro odd in france, good to mix things up.
- mount pleasant philip 2005, tahbilk cab sav 04 and mikes press cab sauv 06 - these have been my house reds of late and like them pretty much in that order. philip never fails - medium bodied, nice fruit but restrained and never sweet or jammy.
- henschke keyneton 2005. happily received as a gift, didn't bother cellaring. good interesting wine, though nothing life changing, prob only 90 points.
- kooyong clonale chardonnay 07 - bright and citrusy, lighter style, not overoaked, very enjoyable on a warm afternoon, excellent value.

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

I first tried it (Voyager 03 CM) on release over a year ago and it was plain and simply brilliant. I called it class in a glass. Did not decant it (of course would of if I could) due to being in a hotel at the time but it was still singing. Am sure you’ll enjoy it now and in ten years.

Sam

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Allan had a 02 earlier in the year and I reckon it was spot on for consuming now

cheers
Seddo[/quote]

G'day Seddo

I must admit to a nervous twitch when it comes to the cellarability of Margaret River reds, that I don't have with most other wines. Is the 2002 likely to hold for a while, or decline from here?

Cheers

Allan

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Waiters Friend wrote:Allan had a 02 earlier in the year and I reckon it was spot on for consuming now

cheers
Seddo

G'day Seddo

I must admit to a nervous twitch when it comes to the cellarability of Margaret River reds, that I don't have with most other wines. Is the 2002 likely to hold for a while, or decline from here?

Cheers

Allan[/quote]

Hmm, perhaps it's time for me to check out one of my two remaining Culllen CM 99s. Not confident though - Cullen would have gone broke replacing TCA infected, oxidised wines if it hadn't moved to screwcaps.

daz

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Daz

1999 was a good year for MR reds, and I suggest they will go longer than 2000 (definitely) and even a couple of later vintages (2002 may have been a good South Australian vintage, but was only OK in MR). 1999 Cullens (and this is before they produced Diana Madelaines, just CMs) should go a lot longer.

Except....I have this twitch I referred to before about the cellarability of MR reds. It was Cullen and Moss Wood that produced it - for example, 1997 Moss Wood consumed in 2006 was ordinary, yet it wasn't corked, oxidised, brett or heat affected. Just OK - which is not what you want for $85 a bottle. A couple of Cullens have gone the same way for no apparent reason, as have a couple of Pierro Chardonnays.

My cellar is fine, and I have every confidence in my other wines, and have been seeing the benefits for many years. Just MR....hmmmm

Have a top Christmas with the family in Charters Towers, Daz

Allan

griff

Post by griff »

Daryl Douglas wrote:
Waiters Friend wrote:Allan had a 02 earlier in the year and I reckon it was spot on for consuming now

cheers
Seddo

G'day Seddo

Cheers

Allan

Hmm, perhaps it's time for me to check out one of my two remaining Culllen CM 99s. Not confident though - Cullen would have gone broke replacing TCA infected, oxidised wines if it hadn't moved to screwcaps.

daz[/quote]

Rest easy on those as there is no hurry. Lots of debate on the 01's at the moment but the 99's are fine and dandy. Besides, I find a pair lasts longer than one in the cellar for me anyhow. With one left I say "what the hell" but with a pair I am more considerate :)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

KMP

Post by KMP »

The only really exciting wines this week were on the last Wine Bar for the year at a local wine shop.

2006 Chassagne-Montrachet les Ruchottes, Dom. Ramonet: Simply beautiful – all sorts of stone fruits and marmalade, mouthfilling, wonderful structure with a finish that lasts and lasts. WOTD for me.

2005 Clos Vougeot, Liger-Belair; Pretty much closed, expected more.

1996 Barolo docg, Pio Cesare: Excellent development, roasted meats, supple and still plenty of vibrancy.

2003 Barolo Cannubi San Lorenzo, G. Rinaldi; A young aggressive monster. Leave it to grow up!

1999 Brunello di Montalcino, Lisini: A well developed Brunello, all meaty with a solid presence on the palate and plenty of life left. The pick of the Italians.

1992 Cornerstone Cabernet Sauvignon, Beatty Ranch, Howell Mountain: Musty, probably corked with scalped flavors.

1993 Von Strasser Cabernet Sauvignon, Diamond Mountain: Not all that exciting. Probably seen its best. A little pencil savings and violets but lacks palate appeal.

2006 Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Clos des Papes, Paul Avril: A beautiful young wine with great dark fruit aromas that live beautifully on the palate. A really well made wine. A close second place.

1992 Ridge Zinfandel, Jimsomare Vineyard, Santa Cruz Mountains: Again probably past its best. Smoky, meaty, nice length.

1997 Ravenswood Zinfandel, Old Hill Ranch: What aged Zin is all about. Great development. Bonox and roasted meats with a lively acidity and great length. Really nice.

2007 Seghesio Zinfandel, Sonoma County: Reasonable young Zin. A bit gluey (incomplete malo?). Nice fruit.

Mike