(My first) Dinner at Tetsuya's

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
ACG

(My first) Dinner at Tetsuya's

Post by ACG »

After waiting two months to get in, this week I burst my Tetsuya's bubble.
I'm happy to report it was worth the wait - I've only ever been to one three hatted restaurant, so admittedly I don't really have much to compare it too, but its hard to not be impressed.
Polished staff, intuitive service, brilliant (and quite reasonably priced, all things considered) winelist and stunning food.

Some dishes didn't work (like the sweet lentils with Comte) and it was a little too cold in there, but otherwise a benchmark experience.

I chose to take the wine progression ($90). I would have loved to get stuck into the extensive Burgundy list (or brought my own) but considering it was only really me who was drinking in our table of four, this seemed like the most interesting option. The wine choices wheren't always inspiring, but they worked brilliantly with the food - Function over form then.

The photos below where taken by my lovely (she will be reading this) girlfriend Caryn.

Heidler Thal Gruner Veltliner 2006
A quite simple, yet classic Gruner that served to highlight how interesting this variety is. A light golden straw in colour, it had a decidedly cool climate honeysuckle & spice nose that was quite direct and light. The palate is where this wine came alive with a spicy, textural viscosity of warm, slightly herbaceous, honey fruit. There is back palate weight and some heat on the finish, in the vein of a Viognier without the heaviness. Throughout the night I came back to this and it proved to be a very versatile food wine, if still somewhat simple. Very enjoyable stuff. 17.3

Clover Hill Blanc De Blancs 2003
Accompanied the Smoked Ocean Trout & Avruga Caviar, with the richness in this working well with the quite rich & creamy dish. Quite a bronze colour considering its relative youth, this had quite a developed, Brie & butter nose with some maturing Chardonnay toast. The palate is similarly cheesy & richly developed with a big robust mouthfeel that lacked a little subtlety. Maturing quickly & a little fat but still enjoyable. 17.2

Sake (It was probably good stuff)
Served with the Custard. Did absolutely nothing for me and felt almost like a novelty. How are you meant to sip Sake anyway? It has always been for drunkenly skulling at local Japanese restaurants before getting up for some Karaoke/taking pants off and swinging around head.

Paradigm Hill Riesling 2007
A Mornington Riesling? Hmm. This wine was served at around the time of the Scampi and served as an excellent foil for the quite delicate Seafood. Kudos to the Sommelier. As for the wine itself, it was quite pretty and floral on the nose, but also quite dumb & green appley, with some light toast creeping in on the nose. The palate was muddled, stuck between primary fruit & secondary development, saved only by some limey fruit sweetness and crisp acidity. A good food wine, but otherwise bland & a little boring. Time may improve the rating, but not by much. 16

Henschke Gewurtztraminer 2008
Served with the Confit of Trout and again a great match. The crisp acidity and subdued flavours working well with the delicate complexity and freshness. Again however, this wine was quite average. The nose showed some lychee Gewurtz varietal characters, but they where only fleeting before being replaced with Eden Valley slate. The palate was lean, slightly peachy & one dimensional, showing no varietal character & feeling like a pale Eden Riesling imitator. Nicely balanced back end, but really quite an average Gewurtz. 15.8

Pierro Chardonnay For Tetsuya's 2007
Made by Pierro for Tetsuya's. I can't tell you how close it is to the normal Pierro Chard in composition, but judging on the wine alone it was classic Pierro Chard. Hallmark Toasty, worked, malo & integrated vanilla oak character on the nose with power and regional grapefruit flavour. The palate is similarly quite bulky with slightly overt oak and perfect nutty richness, all in need of a few more years to come together. Yum. 18.0

Felton Road Pinot Noir for Tetsuya's 2006
Another smart 'house wine'. Every inch a Felton Pinot, with that trademark bright red colour and beautiful stalky red fruit nose. I was slightly disappointed with the palate on this though, as it seemed quite closed and oaky, especially through the middle. This really needs more time to integrate. 17+

Parker Estate Terra Rossa Cabernet Sauvignon 2003
Served with the Wagyu where it just cut right through the hedonistic fatty rich meat. Food match points again. On its own however this is hard work. Leafy, herbaceous & slightly unripe nose tomato leaf nose, with a dry, cocoa & slightly bitter Cassis fruit driven palate. Its all a bit hard and oak driven, but with a future that should see it blossom if your patient to leave it alone for another 5+ years. 16.6++ (18 with the Wagyu however)

Heggies Botrytis Riesling 2007
This didn't need food, it was lovely on its own. Big, tropical pineapple nose with a long caramel meets pineapple juice palate with carefully judged limey acidity. Natural acidity, length & balance. Lovely stuff & my WOTN 18.5

The food:

Pea Soup with Mint Cream & Chocolate Salt

Oysters with Miso & Ginger

Smoked Ocean Trout & Avruga Caviar, Hens yolk & Goats Cheese

Leek & Spanner Crab Custard

Grilled Scampi wrapped in Pancetta
Scampi in Sea Water & Lemon Scented Olive Oil
Marinated Scampi with White Miso & Passionfruit

Confit of Tasmanian Ocean Trout with Roe, Konbu, Apple, Daikon & Wasabi

Terrine of Spanner Crab with an Avocado Soup

(Baby!) Fillet of Barramundi with Baby Fennel

Breast of Duck with Braised Witlof with Sansho & Walnut Jus

Wagyu Beef with Lime & Wasabi

Comte with Lentils

Beetroot & Blood Orange Sorbet
Summer Pudding

Lemon Scented Floating Island with Creme Anglaise

Chocolate Ganache with Sweet Red Beans

Petit Four

Andrew

Paullie

Post by Paullie »

wtf where is the steak.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Paullie wrote:wtf where is the steak.

Wagyu Beef with Lime & Wasabi doesn't cut it for you Paullie?

Nice report and lovely pictures Andrew - it's making me look forward to the degustation dinner at Magill Estate tomorrow night.

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

griff

Post by griff »

Indeed, thank you for the post. Envious here in the West!

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Paullie

Post by Paullie »

umm no.

:lol:

Kate

Post by Kate »

I'm pretty sure the comte and lentils are there purely as a palate cleanser & serve their function accordingly :)
Other than the spanner crab custard & the signature confit of tuna, that looks to be an entirely different menu from when I was there several months ago. There was no beef at my sitting at all.
The matching wines have also been appropriately altered. I'd love to book in again, but the price tag hurts just a little !!!

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Yummo! Have to go again soon. I do prefer to BYO there though. But I prefer to BYO everywhere.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

monghead

Post by monghead »

Great pictures Andrew. How was the pea soup? The smoked salmon and scampi dishes looked devine!

dlo

Post by dlo »

bacchaebabe wrote:Yummo! Have to go again soon. I do prefer to BYO there though. But I prefer to BYO everywhere.

Can't remember the last time I've been to restaurant where I haven't BYO'd, Kris. Had to pay some reasonably hefty corkage fees at times, but that's only a small part of the price you pay to drink well-cellared, high quality wine.
Cheers,

David

ACG

Post by ACG »

monghead wrote:Great pictures Andrew. How was the pea soup? The smoked salmon and scampi dishes looked devine!

The pea soup was great - the chocolate salt was strangely entertaining in a schizophrenic way (chocolatey one moment, salty the next).

My favourite dish was perhaps the simplest - the Wagyu beef. Rolls of perfect Wagyu with wasabi and lime. Delicious and so perfectly simple.

David & Kris - normally I'd be exactly the same, but it was mainly just me who was drinking, so the matched wines seemed like the most entertaining option.

Andrew

Lee

Post by Lee »

Crab custard? - will have to keep an open mind on that! Have been looking forward to trying Tetsuyas for a while.....

The photos are great - does your girlfriend moonlight as a product photographer?? (if not she should....)
cheers,
Lee