Name that Wine Critic

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
KMP

Name that Wine Critic

Post by KMP »

I'm just finishing my last bottles of 1992 St Henri and I came across this gem of a review from 1997.

The 1992 St. Henry Shiraz is a terrific example of the jammy, late harvest, port-like style that is displayed by some of Australia's biggest red wines.

St Henri - a jammy, late harvest, port-like style- this critic really knows his stuff. :roll: If St Henri is one of Australia's biggest reds I wonder what this critic thinks of Mollydooker? Can you guess who the critic is?

Mike

Gavin Trott

Re: Name that Wine Critic

Post by Gavin Trott »

KMP wrote:I'm just finishing my last bottles of 1992 St Henri and I came across this gem of a review from 1997.

The 1992 St. Henry Shiraz is a terrific example of the jammy, late harvest, port-like style that is displayed by some of Australia's biggest red wines.

St Henri - a jammy, late harvest, port-like style- this critic really knows his stuff. :roll: If St Henri is one of Australia's biggest reds I wonder what this critic thinks of Mollydooker? Can you guess who the critic is?

Mike

Broadbent perhaps?
regards

Gavin Trott

Sharkey

Post by Sharkey »

I'm guessing the obvious - Parker.
Sharkey

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Bick

Post by Bick »

Indeed - Parker.
Cheers,
Mike

Grant

Post by Grant »

Talk about damning with faint praise...try to fit 'terrific', 'jammy' and 'port-like' into a single positive review...

griff

Post by griff »

Grant wrote:Talk about damning with faint praise...try to fit 'terrific', 'jammy' and 'port-like' into a single positive review...

Aeroplane Jelly - port flavour 8)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

marsalla

Post by marsalla »

Tanzer,
parker wouldnt call it jammy I would have thought

KMP

Post by KMP »

Sharkey wrote:I'm guessing the obvious - Parker.

Yes it is indeed Parker. Historically, St Henri was made to be a contrast to the more forward ("A very good dry port...") Grange. St Henri is a wine that has been called "an excellent foil to the modern 'baked' Australian Barossa shiraz style.' The 1992 itself has been described as a lightly structured wine, another has said it has huge tannins and is overladen with fruit, but "jammy, late harvest, port-like" it ain't.

Mike