Bargain Pinot Noir

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Sean

Bargain Pinot Noir

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kate

Post by Kate »

Would definitely agree on the Rochford & Williams Crossing.
The Rochford held up very well against a round of $40+ pinots tasted blind & have purchased several since (and need to stock up on a few more).
I don't reckon the Paringa delivers value for money - I'd spend my $25 on Riesling if the pinot pickings were that slim.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

griff

Post by griff »

Hoddles Creek

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Kate

Post by Kate »

Both Rochford Yarra Valley & Macedon Ranges hold up well as value for money.

I haven't tried the '07 Paringa Peninsula, if it's at a tasting I shall give it a go, but wont be rushing out to buy a bottle in the meantime.

I still struggle with the concept of bargain Pinot Noir as it's still a few and far between finding - and if it's really good then procurring it becomes a sport akin to unicorn hunting.

There are a few nz wines that would hold up well in the under $25 range, but once you add on that tax and freight we're into another price bracket!

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

The hoary old chestnut that is bargain pinots for under $25.

Without hesitation:

- Josef Chromy Pepik Pinot Noir 2007 ($20 RRP I think)
- Williams Crossing Pinot Noir 2006 (great)
- Ashton Hills Pinot Noir whatever vintage
- Hoddles Creek (although I think the chardonnay offers better punch for the dollar)
- Kooyong Massale, although admittedly never been as rapt as the reviews suggest and I think the price is heading upwards a touch for this?
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

seddo

Post by seddo »

I posed this question a while ago and a few that come to mind for me - are the Hoddles Creek, Yering Station and Coldstream Hills

cheers
Seddo

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Dalla Mia Finestra - Yarra Valley $19.
GW

Lee

Post by Lee »

Dalrymple (Pipers River Tasmania) - bit dearer at $30..... very nice....

Leigh

Post by Leigh »

I agree with Lee, the Dalrymple is a great drop. I also like Diamond Valley Yarra Valley Blue Label Pinot Noir for around the $20.
WINE - NECTAR OF THE GODS!

Lee

Post by Lee »

Leigh wrote:I agree with Lee, the Dalrymple is a great drop. I also like Diamond Valley Yarra Valley Blue Label Pinot Noir for around the $20.

Very nice - ordered a 6 pack today..... :)

underwraps50

Post by underwraps50 »

So... can anybody better $13.95 for the Montana South Island Pinot Noir 2007 I mentioned in the previous Pinot thread?
"Life's too short to drink bad wine"

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

Sarsfield Estate 2005 is a winner, around $20 a bottle

Dalla Mia Finestra (can't remember the vintage) is around $20, fantastic stuff

Hoddles Creek 2006 a cracker, around $20

The latest Massale isn't bad, previous vintages haven't impressed as much

Cono Sur Pinot from the Central Valley is good value too, not sure how much a bottle

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

I've rather enjoyed the Framingham Pinot Noir in the past also. Around mid $20s I think. Good 'meat-and-potatoes' NZ pinot.
Cheers
Wayno

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I found a bottle of 1996 Fetzer Pinot Noir on sale at a local liquor store. Don't know the story behind how this older bottling turned up there but it had been reduced from about C$24 to C$13. Had to try it.

The wine must have been stored upside down for quite some time as there was a ring of dark purple-red sediment in the neck just below the bottom of the cork. When I pulled the cork out the fine, damp sediment stained my fingers and thumb a dark purple. I had to insert a twisted paper towel into the neck to remove the ring of sediment.

The colour was a light brick/terracotta with a pale orange-brown rim. The nose had a sweet, ripe tomato, oaky nose. Light and devoid of tannins the wine was charmingly soft and elegant, had an oaky, leathery tomato skin quality. A nice, light-bodied but mature wine, this was a delightful surprise. It will make a lovely sipping wine that can be drunk all on its own.

This is what I call a bargain Pinot. We are going back to pick up the remaining few bottles.

Cheers.....Mahmoud.

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

Gary W wrote:Dalla Mia Finestra - Yarra Valley $19.
GW

I actually went and bought some from my local cloudwine based on your recommendation. A cracker.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

We fancied a Pinot last night, and not having anything Tuesday night quaffable in the house picked up a bottle of 2002 Hirsch Hill Estate Pinot Noir for $20 pretty much at random. I have to say - and despite a couple of less than favourable write-ups of the 2003 edition and no great pedigree from the winery - it went down a treat. Really lovely colour, almost tawny, and quite vigorous fruitiness. Generally much less insipid than a lot of entry level Pinot and definitely one I'd have again at the price.

ufo

Post by ufo »

Hi Sean,

If you follow close enough, you can still get Coldstream Hills for less then $20 and I would definetely put it in your list. It is one of the best Pinots in Au around $ 20.
Also Cuttaway Hills is not bad either from Central Table lands in NSW.

seddo

Post by seddo »

07 Hoddles - early drinker - lots of smokeyness not as good as the 06

cheers
Seddo

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

ufo wrote:Hi Sean,

If you follow close enough, you can still get Coldstream Hills for less then $20 and I would definetely put it in your list. It is one of the best Pinots in Au around $ 20.
Also Cuttaway Hills is not bad either from Central Table lands in NSW.

I must admit I had an 06 Coldstream Hills recently and I thought it was pretty good. A touch herbal to me, but impressive for it's price bracket (although still not as good as the Williams Crossing or the Pepik).
Cheers
Wayno