TN: Houghton Frankland River Shiraz 2000

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
monghead

TN: Houghton Frankland River Shiraz 2000

Post by monghead »

Tried this wine a year ago, then rushed out to buy more..... lots more.

Lovely dark purple colour. Fragrant, fruit driven bouquet with spicy, dark plum and cherry aromas of a good cool climate shiraz. Large whiff of alcohol that is well integrated with the bouquet. Aromas not as room filling as the Houghton Gladstone shiraz recently tried, but enough to to keep me interested in "sniffing" for minutes before the main event. On the palate, forward, full flavoured, spicy, dark berries, with a hint of licorice, and mocha oak. Medium bodied, but excellent length and fine tannins. Very slightly hot on the finish, with flavours persisting half a minute after swallowing. Still very fresh, and should keep for years to come. A bargain IMO, at $26 a bottle on special!!!

Only wish I had given out less of this to friends in a bid to get them excited about wines.

Cheers,

Monghead.

Red Bigot

Re: TN: Houghton Frankland River Shiraz 2000

Post by Red Bigot »

monghead wrote:
Only wish I had given out less of this to friends in a bid to get them excited about wines.

Lucky friends, did it work? It should be still available at a few places, rush out and buy some more :-) Have you tried the 2001?
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

monghead

Post by monghead »

Well Brian, it kinda worked, with one friend taking more of an interest in more up-market wines. However, many others are more at the stage of life of "saving for a deposit" unfortunately, and so though they enjoyed the wine, were not willing to purchase in that price bracket...I have long since given up. :cry:

Oh well, still hunting for others to start up a tasting group or something.

As to the 2001 Houghton FR shiraz, I did not know that it had been released! Will be on the hunt for that. Wasn't that a good year in that region???

Cheers,

Monghead.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

monghead wrote:As to the 2001 Houghton FR shiraz, I did not know that it had been released! Will be on the hunt for that. Wasn't that a good year in that region???

I've seen the 2001 listed on the website of a Sydney merchant, may be an error though. 2001 should be pretty good for reds in Gt Southern.
Cheers
Brian

Jakob

Re: TN: Houghton Frankland River Shiraz 2000

Post by Jakob »

Red Bigot wrote:
monghead wrote:

Lucky friends, did it work? It should be still available at a few places, rush out and buy some more :-) Have you tried the 2001?

It's available at $26.65 from Kirra Beach Cellars. Don't worry about it being on the sunny Gold Coast, their cellaring has been great with everything I've obtained there - of course don't kill me if this changes :)

Jakob

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Jakob, it's also available from Gavin (forum provider) for around the same price.
Cheers
Brian

simm

Post by simm »

monghead wrote:Oh well, still hunting for others to start up a tasting group or something.

Cheers,

Monghead.

Where are you? I'm thinking along similar lines.

cheers,
simm.

"I ain't drunk! I' still drinkin' !!"

monghead

Post by monghead »

Heya simm,

I wouldn't mind starting up a small tasting group actually. I'm in the eastern suburbs currently. Where abouts are you?

Monghead.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Good to see the wine going along well.

I decided not to purchase as I found a little too much white pepper on release. I understand this can disappear with aging.

Brett Stevens

Post by Brett Stevens »

I got some 2000 From a vintage cellars in Adelaide when i was over there last week. so there must still be a bit around?

Brett

scottv

Post by scottv »

Could have been inspired by your post, I just found (and bought) a few remaining bottles at the local discount barn today in Townsville for $20 each.

Luckily they were in the airconditioned cellar and not in the barn section where I there is no aircon (if there is it doesn't work!) and the temperature is at least in the high 20's.

Must remember to take the digital thermometer there next time.

Cheers

Scott

simm

Post by simm »

monghead wrote:Heya simm,

I wouldn't mind starting up a small tasting group actually. I'm in the eastern suburbs currently. Where abouts are you?

Monghead.

Alexandria! Easy! Will talk further when I have some more time - I was looking for this thread, but couldn't find it!!

cheers,
simm.

monghead

Post by monghead »

Simm, you wouldn't believe it! I will be moving to Alexandria/Zetland soon!!!

Busy trying to sort out the move currently!

Cheers,

Monghead.

simm

Post by simm »

monghead wrote:Simm, you wouldn't believe it! I will be moving to Alexandria/Zetland soon!!!

Busy trying to sort out the move currently!

Cheers,

Monghead.

Eeeeeexcellent 8)
simm.

scottv

Post by scottv »

I just returned from the bottle shop where the temperature inside was 29.8 degrees and climbing (according to my trusty Acme digital thermometer). This is on an average Townsville day - current temp 31.5 - feels like winter. Does anyone know how damaging this would be to the wines that are stored there in those sought of temperatures for say 2-3 years?

Reminds me of the 1994 Bin 128 purchased from there by my father-in-law a few years ago and opened late last year - Significant browning and to taste, no fruit at all - just wood. He still drank it though.

Scott

lantana

Post by lantana »

If I was you, I'd never buy anything from there, not even beer!! Let alone wine!
lantana

michel

Post by michel »

scottv wrote:I just returned from the bottle shop where the temperature inside was 29.8 degrees and climbing (according to my trusty Acme digital thermometer). This is on an average Townsville day - current temp 31.5 - feels like winter. Does anyone know how damaging this would be to the wines that are stored there in those sought of temperatures for say 2-3 years?

Reminds me of the 1994 Bin 128 purchased from there by my father-in-law a few years ago and opened late last year - Significant browning and to taste, no fruit at all - just wood. He still drank it though.

Scott

I know the bottle shop and have bought a bit there from the little AC section when I lived in Townsville. I have had a few Cooked ones. Buy the recent releases and tread warily on the older stuff. I did buy a cognac off the shelve in the open section and it was fine- I suppose it is hard to cook something that high in alcohol.
cheers
michel
International Chambertin Day 16th May

scottv

Post by scottv »

Sad thing is they were recently voted Townsville's best liquor store. Not even sure whether to buy from the other stores in the group, as though airconditioned, I can not be sure just where the stock has been kept.

michel

Post by michel »

That's because they are Townsville's best bottle shop in my experience although it has been a few years.
Problem is they also sting you for freight from down south. Maybe you should save you money up and purchase 3 or 4 cases (to reduce freight) of stuff you want and stick it in a dedicated regular cheap fridge. That is what we used to do.
Or we would just pick off the new release specials and go to any tasting we could find.
michel
International Chambertin Day 16th May

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

monghead wrote:As to the 2001 Houghton FR shiraz, I did not know that it had been released! Will be on the hunt for that. Wasn't that a good year in that region???

Monghead,

Just checking on some other stuff, noticed I did speed-taste the 2001 FR Shiraz at the NWS tasting last November, it scored Gold in the small-volume commercial class, big tick from me :-) Top gold in the class was 2001 Majella Cabernet.
Cheers
Brian

simm

Post by simm »

Red Bigot wrote:

Monghead,

Just checking on some other stuff, noticed I did speed-taste the 2001 FR Shiraz at the NWS tasting last November, it scored Gold in the small-volume commercial class, big tick from me :-) Top gold in the class was 2001 Majella Cabernet.

Just can't get enough of that Majella Cab 01!!

Hi Scott, I agree with Lantana, stay well away from that one. I used to have the same trouble with Crundle Cellars here in Sydney, spent lots of time wandering the ailes thinking "yeah, yeah, great wine, and what a price" but the heat got to me every time, especially with the older and dusty bottles. Sad to think all that good wine going down the sink or being plonked.

:cry:
simm.