Sydney Restaurants - Help!

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Cables

Sydney Restaurants - Help!

Post by Cables »

:?: :?:

Can anyone help in recommending a good Sydney restaurant (preferably close to CBD) that has a private room, with views of harbour etc., a good wine list that is not too over the top and naturally enough, good food.
Am looking for a steak place that has the sort of ambience of Prime and mains at around the $30ish level.

suggestions and thoughts would be most appreciated.

michaelw

Re: Sydney Restaurants - Help!

Post by michaelw »

Cables wrote:Sydney restaurant (preferably close to CBD) that has a private room, with views of harbour etc., a good wine list that is not too over the top and naturally enough, good food.
Am looking for a steak place that has the sort of ambience of Prime and mains at around the $30ish level.

Not sure of private room, but Kingsley's Steak and Crab House at Woolloomooloo Wharf is great steak and (oddly enough) crab. The wine list is OK and the views are killer. The main prices should be comparable with what you're after too.
Ciao,

michaelw

You know it makes sense!

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

The wharf is great too. Really great views, mains top out at $32, I think you can BYO there if you ask nicely but the wine list is OK. Just not sure about the private room although they do functions no worries and might give you a privateish corner or something.

http://www.thewharfrestaurant.com.au/main.jsp?qref=10
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

The wharf has two wine lists. The first is a relatively tight selection with a few interesting wines included - Kilikanoon, Shelmerdine. The Houghton Pemberton Merlot is yummy. The second is the good stuff, including Tyrrell's HVD Semillon and Providence Miguet Pinot.

Kieran

Cables

Post by Cables »

Thanks for those replies.

Sources have pointed me to the following that I will be dining at on my three nights there.

First Up - Aqua lina
Second - Icebergs
Third night - Buzo

I've heard of Icebergs as a great restaurant with all the appropriate rizz and tizz attached, so I estimate that will fine.
Haven't heard of the other two, but they are both well recommended.

I'll post my thoughts after I attend each for the benefit of anyone thinking of going.

monghead

Post by monghead »

Hiya Cables,

Aqua Luna is a great restaurant in the toaster, but if I may make a suggestion, if plans are not set in concrete yet, you will not regret a visit to ARIA just down the block from Aqua Luna. Aria's food I believe has the flair that Aqua Luna's doesn't, and it's wine list wont disappoint! (oh, Aria does allow BYO wine if you pre-arrange with the sommelier, I believe). Additionally, Aria, as it is at the end of the toaster, has views of the Bridge, and the Opera House.

Now, there's lunch........ what about Bather's Pavillion at Balmoral beach? Again, this place has an excellent wine list, and will not disappoint with the food.

Cheers,

Monghead.

Cables

Post by Cables »

Thanks for the recommendation about ARIA.
I have heard alot about it and may swap from Aqualina, but in fact am now spending 4 nights there, so will try all four.

Kieran,
I tried the 01' Providence Miguet Pinot on Saturday and thought it was a good quality pinot. It took at least an hour to open and "mellow". Initial nose was very tight, showing only small hints of traditional Pinot smells of berry, plum and fruit. In fact the nose didn't really improve all that much, but the taste improved and changed dramatically. Intially was a touch "hot", perhaps from the higher alcohol or the complexity of the wine had not developed. An hour later, the lingering aftertaste of plum, raspeberries and black cherry, smokey cinamon was excellent.
It needs about another 2-3 years to bring out its full potential. At $34 ish,
very good value.