Planning purchases from 2002

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
DJ

Planning purchases from 2002

Post by DJ »

Apart from 2002 being a fantasic year (according to reports to date) it is also the birth year of my first child. So it may well be the vintage (to date) that I buy the most of. So my question is what are people planning to buy (and have bought) from 2002. So far my thoughts are on my usuals and getting magnums where possible for 18th, 21st, 30th and when we feel like it.

Have bought
Clare riesling: Grosset, Richmond Grove, petaluma, o'leary walker, ... (I think I might have gone a bit over board here)
Noons
Few Tyrrells Vat range
Clonakilla
Couple of other Hunter Semillons

To Buy
Rockford
Turkey Flat
St Hugo (apart from anything else his name is Hugh :P )
St Henri
Chateau Reynella &/ Hardys Vinatge Port
Victorians? Dalwhinnie and Seppelts
WA may be try and afford some Cullen (other suggestions?
Imports will probably require a sudden cash boost but we can live in hope.

Don't know on something like Wynns Black Label guess it depends on whether its in the 86, 88, 90, 91 mold or is a bit thin

It almost seems too early to be thinking about this but with some already released and many due this year time to plan and budget

So what are your plans? what would you be buying for the long term

David
David J

Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake 1Ti 5:23

cameaux

Post by cameaux »

I'm in the same boat DJ... my son was born in 2002 and how stoked am I!!!! So far i've got into Clare riesling (Mitchell, Bin 7, Petaluma) and others ... Delatite, Sandalford, Frankland Estate. Red-wise, I can't wait. Burge family's G3, Rededge, Majella, Wynns, Zema, Moss Wood will be amongst many targets. I've also scored a bottle of Dr.Loosen 02 Auslese... not the greatest vintage but should last the distance. Mind you, if the little tacker is a 'nothing but VB' drinker at 21, not only will my fathering have completely failed, but he won't be getting his mitts on any of the good booze.!! 8)

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

cameaux wrote:Mind you, if the little tacker is a 'nothing but VB' drinker at 21, not only will my fathering have completely failed, but he won't be getting his mitts on any of the good booze.!! 8)

Yes

But if he's a VB drinker then, just think how much great wine you'll have to drink yourselves!!
regards

Gavin Trott

Cables

Post by Cables »

my first son was born on 01/01/00 - that's a hard vintage to beat. :D

Nevertheless, 2002 was a great year.

The 02' Mitolo GAM Shiraz is great value at just under $50 and will keep well for at least 5-10 yrs. - Soft textured wine that already displays a complex shiraz flavor.

I am drinking the 2002 Olssons of Bannockburn - Central Ontago NZ - Slapjack Reserve Pinot Noir as I write. (Just opened and it's my first one), so here is the news. ($74)

Beautiful deep purple/crimson color
Great legs on the wall of the glass.
Spicy, pepper and black plum with a pleasant sweetness to the nose.
Taste is excellect however, it will need time to integrate all the complex flavours. It is rich and "fleshy" - A heavier style Pinot with a great long aftertaste. I'll cellar the rest and try a bottle each year from now on. This wine should go the distance. (7-10yrs).

Aussie Johns

Post by Aussie Johns »

If you are looking to buy a wine for your son to enjoy with you on his 21st, try a good Bordeaux, with the 2002 vintage starting to look like the 1996, from all reports. The Cos d'Estournel will just be hitting its stride by the time he turns 21. Grand Cru Burgundy will also be singing, as should many cheaper Volnays. (de Montille wines take 15+ years to get going, and their premier crus are still only $55-90/bottle.)
If you have the money, you could hang out for the 02 Grange, which should be one of the greatest to date.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

My humble contribution to the French 02 vintage is that the Cote Rotie not shaping up too well compared 01. Tried many of the new releases at the March aux Vines in Ampuis.

02's Australian- Burge Family and many Clare rieslings so far.

A good 21st would be hand me down memberships in regard to mailing lists-Wendouree, Rockfords etc.

Phil Shorten

2002 vintage...

Post by Phil Shorten »

If you are looking to the old world for 2002.....

- Aussie John's call on Bordeaux is about the mark - look out especially for Left Banks - Leoville Barton and Lynch-Bages both have received very good reviews and are not ridiculously expensive, compared to other Chateaux.

- It is being heralded as a great vintage for Burgundy - red and white - though prices are up!

- The Rhone Valley suffered from rains in the north and floods down south in 2002 - wines are likely to be dilute, lacking fruit and possibly acidic - at best soft and for early drinking - 1st bad vintage after a great run of vintages from 1998-2001 inclusive - the whites might come out okay though.

- 2002 is said to be a superb year for German Riesling, though I have heard some say that 2003 is shaping up even better.

- For something completely different, England could actually offer an alternative - 2002 was a very good vintage here and you could pick up some decent Bacchus or Madeline Angevine (though there is some rather good fizz made in the UK!).

Cheers
Phil

Michael

Post by Michael »

DJ,
not sure too many of those wines will last happily 18,21, or 30 years.

M

Michael

Post by Michael »

DJ,

also are you going to enter the screwcap lottery over that length of time periods?

TORB

Re: Planning purchases from 2002

Post by TORB »

David,

As someone else has already mentioned, some of those Oz reds listed will be unlikely to go the distance. In fact there are very few Australian reds produced today that will last for 18-21 years and still be enjoyable.

Tahbilk 1860's Vines Shiraz may be OK, I just tried the 98 and it will be very long lasting. Burge and Noons for example wont have a hope in hell of getting past about half way.

Big Cabernets like John Riddoch and Cullen are a reasonable chance.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Wineaway

2002 vintage

Post by Wineaway »

I'm thinking the SA 2002 vintage will be the one to make the distance.
Have to remember that unlike most years this is a long cool summer and hence the wines have the potential for greater longevity than most other vintages.

Late 80's Barossa reds such as Rockford are still drinking wonderfully well - an 89 is now 15 years old - I'm guessing you'll get an extra 6 years out of these wines comfortably with the 02 effect.

And without trying to be self promotional you must admit that wines were not cared for as well in the past as they are now!

So I'd be thinking that Rockford is very safe and many other brands will give it a good shot. Oh and my little boy Dash was born in 02 - so I do have a slight bias! Spend it all on this vintage I say!

Cheers
Scott

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Must clarify my response regardings DJ's two questions.

1-02 Vintage what have I bought so far? About half a dozen producers of Clare Valley riesling and the only reds so far, Burge Family G3 & Olive Hill.

2- What would I buy for the birthyear of an 02 baby? Wendouree allocation and Grange.

Would use the romance of the birth year to extract a greater wine budget from the wife but I would not invest in many wines outside of Grange/Wendouree to go the distance.

The notion of passing down your mailing list membership onto future generations a consideration.

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

cameaux wrote:I'm in the same boat DJ... my son was born in 2002 and how stoked am I!!!! So far i've got into Clare riesling (Mitchell, Bin 7, Petaluma) and others ...

Yes, well, the Petaluma should be just ideal to celebrate his first birthday...! :wink:

cheers,
Graeme

Matt P

Post by Matt P »

Warrabilla 2002 Parola's Limited Release Durif

Only left in magnum but will last 20+ years. IMO best Rutherglen durif to date. Also great value for money at $66 for the magnum!

Congrats on the (relatively) new arrival. I have a niece born in '02 and am doing the same thing! :D

Cheers

Matt P

Post by Guest »

My choice on long lived Oz reds would include the already mentioned Wendourees (out in about 6 months time), Cullen (out in about 9 months), Viking Grand Shiraz (already out), and for variety, a smattering of Clare reislings and Hunter semillons. All delicious for a 21st...for the oldies anyway.

cheers,

David M.

cameaux

Post by cameaux »

Yes, GraemeG I agree that top quality Oz Riesling is a special drink in its youth, but i'm a sucker for the old stuff and are willing to give the 02' vintage a long time under good cellaring cinditions.

Michael, spot on, i'm sure many of us are hoping that the screwcap closure will proove to be a good thing...... but the jury is certainly out research wise. I guess i'm putting my faith in some of our top producers who have embrassed the closure ( clare valley producers, Grosset, Howard Park et al).

..... But a guarenteed TCA free cork is what i'm after..... :wink:

DJ

Post by DJ »

Thanks all (I think :? ) 2002 is with out question going to have more wines I want than I can afford Plus I want to buy a Fondis this year - perhaps I'd better sort out a couple of dozen to send to auction.

Aussie John (and others) where should I be looking at Bordeaux in Australia and preferably Canberra or Sydney? It was a worry to see the other day that Porters Roseville has been sold to Woolies - Does this mean Ultimo is all Sydney has left?

How dare people suggest I might hand down mailing lists at his 21st :shock: I'll only be 53! I have to plan on living to at least 80 (surviving grandparents 92 and 83, other grandparents died at 82 and 77) perhaps I'll just let him help fill up the cases :D

I'll buy screw caps when ever I can - I'd love to get ALL my 2002 in screw cap.

It will be interesting to see what wines from Australia really do go the distance. I think if the balance is there at the start even the big buggers like Noons will easily last and probably either get more complex or stay much the same. Certainly the best Aussies of the past have lived for a heck of a long time - The 66 St Henri drunk just over 2 years ago was as fresh as the 86 ie fantastic

David
David J

Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake 1Ti 5:23