TN: Orlando St Hugo 1996

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
monghead

TN: Orlando St Hugo 1996

Post by monghead »

Mmmmmm

Still deep, dark purple, with only slight bricking on the edges. Sumptuous, fragrant berries, with cedary, chocolate oak. Initially, a hint of tobacco leatheriness, which was overwhelmed by the rich fruit as the wine opened out in half an hour in the glass. Creamy initial mouthfeel, with deep flavours of mulberries, and plums with some spiciness soon after. Savoury, cedary oak, with cigar and tar nuances. Medium to full bodied, coating at least 3/4 of palate. Finishes with grippy, fine, persistent tannins.

A real joy to savour. Won't be opening another bottle for another couple of years based on this bottle.

Cheers,

Monghead.

Gerard Connors

Post by Gerard Connors »

Monghead,

I tried one of these around New Year and concur. Drinking superbly, but no hurry - it'll go another 5-8yrs at least.

Ged

Phil Shorten

Orlando St Hugo

Post by Phil Shorten »

I recently had a bottle of the 1990 and can confirm that it is currently drinking very well - at its peak - but will hold for some time yet - excellent wine and excellent value for money.

Cheers
Phil

Justin B.

Post by Justin B. »

Well done Monghead, Phil and Gerard. I have been wondering whether or not to open a 96 but am still yet to do so. I will wait. I have a 90 Magnum. Sounds like I should start looking out for the right time to open it.
Justin B.

simm

Post by simm »

Yes, good to know. I'm going to give the '97 a go again and see if it is going to get any better than the last one. The fruit is not as good as the '96 but still quite a good wine, more in the red berry spectrum and with the texture on the smooth side, as I recall.

cheers,
simm.

"I ain't drunk! I' still drinkin' !!"

xsorxpire

Re: TN: Orlando St Hugo 1996

Post by xsorxpire »

Anyone tried one of these recently?

Popov

Post by Popov »

Yep, had one a couple of weeks back and it was looking great! Still a bit of time left in it.

xsorxpire

Post by xsorxpire »

Thanks Popov.
I have four left and would hate to waste them...

dlo

Post by dlo »

Well-kept bottles of the 1988 are still travelling well, too.
Cheers,

David