October - What have you been buying?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
08meltdown

Post by 08meltdown »

2006 KASSEBAUM `MAGDALENA` SHIRAZ
1999 Xanadu `Cow Rock` Reserve Margaret River Cabernets
2003 Binder Mitchell GSM
2002 Kulkunbulla Hilltops Cab Mer
2002 Vito McLaren Vale Shiraz
2002 Mouthpiece Paul Lindner Barossa Valley Shiraz
2002 Binder Mitchell Dovetail Baroota Shiraz

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Christo wrote:
I heard the DWS have "put away" most of the Rousseau... could be just chatter. :? :roll:
c

Ive heard it slightly differently might be some chinese whispers going on. PM coming.

Bick

Post by Bick »

The Stonyridge Larose I bought ep just arrived... :)

(I'll probably try a bottle in 4-5 years - crikey you gotta be patient in this game don't ya)
Cheers,
Mike

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

Pinot, Pinot and more pinot.

I've got the bug quite badly and although funds are limited, there's a couple of decent bottles I've stashed away

Mayer Pinot 2006
Kooyong Estate Pinot 2006
Curly Flat 2005

To round off the neo burgundy extravaganza there's a couple of bottles of Lanes End Chardonnay 2005.

That's it for now

Rednick

Post by Rednick »

Came back from hols with

Chateu de Beaucastle CNdP 98, 04 & 05
Chateu La Nerthe CNdP 05

And I take delivery of a couple of extra wine fridges on Thursday so I can finally do some more buying :shock:

ufo

Post by ufo »

08meltdown wrote:
ufo wrote:

A case of 2005 Longwood Reserve Shiraz

Cheers

Is this Longwood from McLaren Vale or Grampians?
Where can I get some if it's from McLaren Vale? Google search failed to show place for purchase.

Thanks
08Meltdown

It is from McLaren Vale. They don't have any purchase point, they are export only and supply to local market if they have anything left. You got to contact them direct via longwoodwines@bigpond.com.

rooman

Post by rooman »

Bick wrote:The Stonyridge Larose I bought ep just arrived... :)

(I'll probably try a bottle in 4-5 years - crikey you gotta be patient in this game don't ya)

Snap

Minotaur

Post by Minotaur »

Christo wrote:not much yet in October, but i want to buy:

- 05 Rousseau Chambertin & CdBeze
- 05 DRC (ill take anything)
- some more ceparello & ornelaia 04 (almost done) :P

Now anyone know where i can get the first two wines in my wishlist? :?
c

edit: updated purchases

Hey Christo, check your PM.

Minotaur

Christo

Post by Christo »

Minotaur wrote:
Christo wrote:not much yet in October, but i want to buy:

- 05 Rousseau Chambertin & CdBeze
- 05 DRC (ill take anything)
- some more ceparello & ornelaia 04 (almost done) :P

Now anyone know where i can get the first two wines in my wishlist? :?
c

edit: updated purchases

Hey Christo, check your PM.
Minotaur

Minotaur, which city you in?..
Wow Rousseau 2005 & DRc 2005 at Langtons are scary exxy!! But considering that 90' richebourg is now $6k & 90 La tache $8k-10k.. :shock: the DRC 05's are still considerbly cheap if you have the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
I cannot afford the secondry market on these puppies, :cry: besides my wife would take the kids & leave if i tried. :wink:
c

Oh, also just bought:
6x La Tour-Blanche 2005 :P
1x 03' Mugnier C-M
1 x 04' Mugnier C-M
"You are what u drink!"

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

My first post... I'm quite new to wine and quite new to Australia (about two years each) so apologies if these are a bit disappointing.

Recently got my complete four bottle allocation of the 07 Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier, one of which is going to the future father-in-law as a bribe to help persuade him to crack a Grange (not sure of the year but somewhere in the late 80s/early 90s I think) before the wedding.

Most recent Hunter trip was highlighted by the most recent Oakvale Peppercorn Shiraz and the usual case of Tatler Over The Ditch SSB for summer drinking.

Christo

Post by Christo »

Loztralia wrote:My first post... I'm quite new to wine and quite new to Australia (about two years each) so apologies if these are a bit disappointing.

Recently got my complete four bottle allocation of the 07 Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier, one of which is going to the future father-in-law as a bribe to help persuade him to crack a Grange (not sure of the year but somewhere in the late 80s/early 90s I think) before the wedding.

Most recent Hunter trip was highlighted by the most recent Oakvale Peppercorn Shiraz and the usual case of Tatler Over The Ditch SSB for summer drinking.

welcome to the forum..
c
"You are what u drink!"

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

07 Passage Rock Res Syrah. Was really taken by this at winenz and picked one up in duty free. Quite different in style to the blockbuster 05
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

08meltdown wrote:2006 KASSEBAUM `MAGDALENA` SHIRAZ

One out of two ain't bad. The Xanadu was the re-badged ($40+) Lagans Reserve and the last two I tried were so volatile you could use it to strip paint. That's why it's offered at under $10.

Have you tried the others? (mostly ex-HFW "investment" wines)
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Minotaur

Post by Minotaur »

Christo wrote:Minotaur, which city you in?..
Wow Rousseau 2005 & DRc 2005 at Langtons are scary exxy!! But considering that 90' richebourg is now $6k & 90 La tache $8k-10k.. :shock: the DRC 05's are still considerbly cheap if you have the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
I cannot afford the secondry market on these puppies, :cry: besides my wife would take the kids & leave if i tried. :wink:
c

Christo, thanks for your suggestions on Cepparello 04. I am in Sydney, so will check out your lead.

If you're looking to go long on 2004/05 vintages, without breaking the bank, don't forget 2004 Piedmont and Tuscany, 2005 Chateauneuf-du-Pape, even 2004 Bordeaux had some good wines which can still be had relatively cheaply. And of course 2004 was very good in most Aust regions and in NZ (Hawke's Bay esp.)

Christo

Post by Christo »

thanks stocked up on purir Hills 05 pope & reserve, not much esle from NZ. Dont rate CNdP that highly, well at least the ones ive tried so not persuing those. italians are a different kettle of fish, espec. in 04'. will start on 04 BDX soon, but trying to fill 05' before prices go stupid.

Minotaur wrote:
Christo, thanks for your suggestions on Cepparello 04. I am in Sydney, so will check out your lead.

tks. That sydney place i mentioned for Cepps, i took the last 11 btls this evening, but they may get some more in. The other place i mentioned still has them, or check if Gavin can source them from NEGs?? gavin? make a move soon as it is selling our fast everywhere!!
c
"You are what u drink!"

08meltdown

Post by 08meltdown »

Red Bigot wrote:

One out of two ain't bad. The Xanadu was the re-badged ($40+) Lagans Reserve and the last two I tried were so volatile you could use it to strip paint. That's why it's offered at under $10.

I bought the Kassebaum based on your purchases of the previous vintage cleanskin. What I don't understand is why the current vintage is sold/auction through Grays. Time must be tough.

The others as you correctly guessed are ex-HFW wines. I have tried all except the "paint stripper" and liked them and excellent valued wines.
I knew about your (& TORB) comments about Cow Rock but still went ahead as it's only <$7 delivered.
I have yet to use wine for something else except for drinking. Should be arriving today.
:lol:

rooman

Post by rooman »

Christo wrote:thanks stocked up on purir Hills 05 pope & reserve, not much esle from NZ. Dont rate CNdP that highly, well at least the ones ive tried so not persuing those. italians are a different kettle of fish, espec. in 04'. will start on 04 BDX soon, but trying to fill 05' before prices go stupid.

Minotaur wrote:

tks. That sydney place i mentioned for Cepps, i took the last 11 btls this evening, but they may get some more in. The other place i mentioned still has them, or check if Gavin can source them from NEGs?? gavin? make a move soon as it is selling our fast everywhere!!
c

how much were they asking?

Christo

Post by Christo »

rooman wrote:
Minotaur wrote:

how much were they asking?

cepps? $100 PM me if interested & Gavin can not source them.
c
"You are what u drink!"

Mark Jappe

Post by Mark Jappe »

Just picked up a case of the 1996 Lanson on sale at Dan Murphys.

Still hunting for some decent pinots but struggling to find those from my hitlist in SA bottle shops. Any ideas on retailers with decent selections of pintos would be much appreciated.

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Still recovering from the Wendouree bill. Bought a few Thorn Clarke Sandpiper Shiraz 2007 (great qpr), and taking a deep intake of breath before making a Rockford order. Will probably just get my regulation six pack of Basket Press.
"It is very hard to make predictions, especially about the future." Samuel Goldwyn

redwine

Post by redwine »

Some nice bottles.....

1 x Fox Creek Reserve Shiraz 2002 (Magnum)
1 x Chateau Mouton Rothschild 1984
1 x Chateau Beausejour Becot 1982 (Magnum)
1 x Masseto 2004
2 x Suso Perez Don Ramon 1969
2 x Gernot Heinrich Salzberg 2004
2 x Gernot Heinrich Gabarinza 2006 (Magnum)
2 x Moric Neckenmarkter Blaufränkisch 2005
2 x Moric Neckenmarkter Blaufränkisch Alte Reben 2005

Cheers and happy drinking.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Another case of Mike Press Cab 06 to quaff, just a glass of the last bottle from the 2nd case left in the fridge about to be consumed.

roughred

Post by roughred »

I tend to steer clear of Gray's these days, but had to bite at a case of 07 West Cape Howe Tempranillo at $6 a bottle. Anyone tried it? Should be reasonable summer quaffing if nothing else.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

roughred wrote:I tend to steer clear of Gray's these days, but had to bite at a case of 07 West Cape Howe Tempranillo at $6 a bottle. Anyone tried it? Should be reasonable summer quaffing if nothing else.

You paid slightly too much. ;-) I also bought some but have found it to be a bit odd, one bottle exhibited TCA-like characters, but it mostly breathed off, so probably not TCA, but not your typical tempranillo dustiness either. Not the best of the current buys.

I've bought about 25 cases from Grays for friends (and a little for myself) over the last couple of months, there have been some excellent buys ranging from $5-$10 delivered for the likes of Casas MR Shiraz and Cabernet 2004 and Robertson of Clare Max V 2005 @ $30pb delivered.

There is a page on my site listing all the wines I've bought from Grays, prices paid and a brief assesment of them but the version in the free area doesn't show the full details of the currently available ones.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Just picked up my Rockford allocation (6x 06 BP, 6xBS) as a few of the 01 SVSs.

BTW Chirsto, good decision on buying more of the 04 Ornellaia - a super wine.

Mike

Davo

Post by Davo »

Red Bigot wrote:

From memory the 98 and 99 Lagan's were selling at more than twice that at CD. I agree fully with your assessment of the wines and I tipped mine out (after opening and sampling of course) :cry:

08meltdown

Post by 08meltdown »

Davo wrote:
Red Bigot wrote:

From memory the 98 and 99 Lagan's were selling at more than twice that at CD. I agree fully with your assessment of the wines and I tipped mine out (after opening and sampling of course) :cry:

The Cow Rock have a leathery or sock smell on opening. However it soon dissipate after a while. I manage to finish the bottle. There are better ex-HFW wines still on sale. I must say that this is the worst of the lot I have tried so far.

The Magdalena is superb.

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Had to buy some (more) 04 Italians
04 Cepparello
04 Pio Cesare Barolo
04 Domenico Clerico Ginestra
06 Rockford BP
GW

Davo

Post by Davo »

Mixed 05 Monastrells, various producers
06 BP
06 Black
04 Leroy Bourgogne Rouge
00 Tardieu Laurent St Joseph "villes vignes"
05 Chapoutier Laughton Agly Bros "AB 2005"
07 Tahbilk Marsanne

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Rednick wrote:Came back from hols with

Chateu de Beaucastle CNdP 98, 04 & 05
Chateu La Nerthe CNdP 05

And I take delivery of a couple of extra wine fridges on Thursday so I can finally do some more buying :shock:

Good choices.

Got cases of all of those- but in September!

HAve the 98 on the tasting bench.