Barrels for port and other fortifieds

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

Barrels for port and other fortifieds

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

This follows on from another post, where the conversation has moved from 'what are you sipping now' to the establishment of a 20L muscat barrel. BTW, Happy Birthday, Kris.

This is something I've thought about from time to time, too. I believe the theory (which is applied to the solera system and to those similar systems employed by blenders) that a small quantity of older material, added to a larger quantity of younger material, benefits the blend to a larger extent than the ratio would suggest. The value of the barrel, therefore, is to take a quantity of younger wine, add a small quantity of really good stuff, and watch the whole blend come alive. And top it up on a regular basis with a mix of older and younger materail (sorry, that doesn't sound at all methodical, I know).

Have I got this right? I'd be delighted to get into specifics here (including where you source the barrel from - I can easily source barriques, but small barrels are harder to come by I find). Worth a discussion?

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Hey Alan,

there is another quite long post on this with heaps of info, especialy about barrels if you search through the forum, but seeing as how this one's at the top, may as well carry on here.

I am personally, and for obvious reasons, quite interested to know if it's worth chucking in say 500mls of a rare muscat into my barrel of 5-7 year old Morris classic. I kind of think it might be better to do this in a year's time when things have settled down a little but the question is, is it worth putting in older material or do you let the solera do the work by topping up only with young fresh material?

As for barrels, I know the main place for new barrel is the Keg factory, I think in the Barrossa but I got mine from Stanton and Killeen. I think they get theirs from there and then do the seasoning so it saves you a whole heap of time and muscat (or port). From there they are $280 for a 14 litre barrel and $300 for a 20 litre barrel.

Re muscat, most places in Rutherglen sell bulk muscat, port and tokay. I know that Morris sell their calssic muscat for $220 for 20 Litres and Stanton and Killeen sell 23 Litres of muscat for $242 and 5 litres for $55 (or $11 a litre). I'm pretty sure this is also the classic. I certainlynoticed that Chambers had flagons of bulk muscat and port and I'm pretty sure they had larger volumes available too. I also know plenty of places in SA also sell bulk fortifieds. I think that other thread listed a couple.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Davo

Post by Davo »

Kris, I started on this in the other post.

Let the wood settle down for a while, then when doing a top up add some older reasonable quality material. I would do this for a couple of years and then just keep adding fresh youger material. It just gives it that initial kick in the complexity stakes.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Kris and Davo, thanks to you both.

I like the idea of the winery seasoning the barrel for me, so the S&K option sounds like a good deal.

Being in WA, I'm not sure of where I could source the bulk muscat locally (perhaps Talijancich, Davo, any thoughts?), but S&K could freight this surely without too many dramas - 23L is about the weight of a case and a half of bottled wine.

Sounds like a plan 8)

Cheers

Allan

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Have a look at Link for some good history

From my perspective:

Season it first, otherwise you will be drinking toothpicks

Once it has soaked the timber and settled down, then consider putting in some older material.

Keep it quite full

When I needed to top up I rang around a number of Rutherglen wineries for advice and material - ended up buying (in multiples of 5 litre flagons) some Stanton & Kileen five year single vintage and Chambers 6 -8 year blend. My choices were based on the replies from my initial enquiries - these two wineries were very helpful.

Have some fun in the refilling process by doing some blending, see what tastes best to you. This is probably as close as I'll ever get to wine making so I make sure I enjoy it :D

Cheers Mark

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Just FYI, I think the freight from Rutherglen to Sydney was $17 for the barrel and $13 for the bulk muscat. Or the other way around. Should give you some idea anyway. I thought it was reasonable.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Davo

Post by Davo »

Waiters Friend wrote:Kris and Davo, thanks to you both.

I like the idea of the winery seasoning the barrel for me, so the S&K option sounds like a good deal.

Being in WA, I'm not sure of where I could source the bulk muscat locally (perhaps Talijancich, Davo, any thoughts?), but S&K could freight this surely without too many dramas - 23L is about the weight of a case and a half of bottled wine.

Sounds like a plan 8)

Cheers

Allan

S&K Freight to Perth no probs. They actually do (or did) a deal of barrel and muscat combo which was cheaper than individual prices.

They also run a service where you can send them a sample of your muscat and they will give advice on what to do to improve it.

Give them a ring or email and get the info direct from them.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Thanks everyone - good avice indeed, and much appreciated.

Cheers

Allan