Naming Rights!

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Wayno

Naming Rights!

Post by Wayno »

Borrowed/lifted from another forum (not wine) but I think an interesting question.

What's the reasoning/rationale behind your user name, and perhaps as an extension of the question, avatar?

Be interesting to know a few, although granted a few are clearly understood already!
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

drlev

Post by drlev »

Well, my first name happens to be Lev and I am a doctor, so Dr. Lev --> drlev

Curious about others....
Cheers, Lev.

TORB

Post by TORB »

drlev wrote:Well, my first name happens to be Lev and I am a doctor, so Dr. Lev --> drlev

Oy vey, have I got a giurl for you. :wink: :shock: :lol:
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Many years ago on a prior version of this forum, when explaining that I preferred to drink reds almost exclusively, a certain forum member who couldn't quite cope with this (hi MartinE) called me a "red bigot" and I decided that was good enough to keep. :-)
Ric was a few nanoseconds too slow and had to settle for "The Other Red Bigot or TORB", soon after changed to "The Opinionated Red Bigot".

Some people still get us confused or think we are the same person. :roll:
Last edited by Red Bigot on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

griff

Post by griff »

Way back when I was 15 years old I was a member of a BBS in Sydney called Active Entertainment BBS. Called myself Griffon and was often shortened to Griff. Stayed that way ever since. Good times trying to dial into those sixteen 2400 baud modems...

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

drlev

Post by drlev »

Hey, Wayno, what about your avatar?

It reminds me of the posters in some old butcher shops showing the different cuts of meat - but would you do that with a dog?

...hey, you are not Korean by any chance?... :shock:
Cheers, Lev.

drlev

Post by drlev »

TORB wrote:
drlev wrote:Well, my first name happens to be Lev and I am a doctor, so Dr. Lev --> drlev

Hey, TORB, you worked me out pretty quickly....should I add that I am a psychiatrist?

---------------------------
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Freud
Cheers, Lev.

El Josho

Post by El Josho »

I've always been amused that Bart Simpson's alias is El Barto (hence El Josho), and yet no one has ever made the connection between the two in sleepy Springfield.
"It wasn't the wine," murmured Mr. Snodgrass, in a broken voice. "It was the salmon."
Charles Dickens, Pickwick Papers

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

A fave cigar brand. I now prefer Cohiba but can't change my name :wink: .

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Waiters Friend? When I used to work on cellar door, it was rarely out of my hand - an invaluable tool - oh dear, this could conjure some unwarranted mental images :oops:

Seriously, when I first joined a forum in around 2003, most ofthe wines I served and drank had corks, hence the moniker. Almost all of the wines at the place I used to work, as well as the majority of what I open at home, are now screwcapped, so the Waiters Friend has been replaced by .... oh dear :lol:
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Deleted
Last edited by Waiters Friend on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Red Bigot wrote:Some people still get us confused or think we are the same person. :roll:

I've seen your photos, sometimes stop and think, "****, which one is that?" :wink: :lol:

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

drlev wrote:
TORB wrote:

Hey, TORB, you worked me out pretty quickly....should I add that I am a psychiatrist?

---------------------------
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Freud

Hey Doc, can I PM you?

Bick

Post by Bick »

Bick is just a shortening of my surname: Bickerdike. Its been used by various friends over the years.

I'm returning to my old avatar in light of this thread - I think I prefer it. Its Higgins of course, from Magnum, PI. Higgins was a Brit (so am I) his old fashioned snobbery amused me (and I may have some similar traits :wink: ) and he was a oenophile who was for ever trying to keep Magnum from nicking the fine wine from Robin Masters cellar.
Cheers,
Mike

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Wizz is an old logon from my university days, and I alo picked it up as a nickname for having a degree in mathematics. I've kept it for online things. And people now call me that in real life. :shock:

The Avatar will probably last until about next March.

The old Blue Hat one was a reference to DeBonos thinking hats.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

drlev wrote:Hey, Wayno, what about your avatar?

It reminds me of the posters in some old butcher shops showing the different cuts of meat - but would you do that with a dog?

...hey, you are not Korean by any chance?... :shock:

Nup, not Korean. The name is obvious. The Avatar... well, for a bit of a lark, I was looking for a logo to represent an informal food and wine group with some friends and I chanced upon a number of traditional butchery cut pics, one of which had the dog! In an odd sort of way it appealled and I have adopted it since. For the record, I am an animal lover, dog appreciator and have never eaten a dog... nor do I plan to. Unless it was rolled, roasted and served from a roadside stall in the middle of Tuscany. Or something.
Cheers
Wayno

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

El Josho wrote:I've always been amused that Bart Simpson's alias is El Barto (hence El Josho), and yet no one has ever made the connection between the two in sleepy Springfield.

Welcome back old fruit.
Cheers
Wayno

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Waiters Friend wrote:Gavin, are you able to clean up my duplicate duplicate posts? I'm sure you can't sort out my bloody ISP :x

I've deleted most of them, you should be able to delete your own posts, do you see a little red X next to Edit when you are logged in?
Cheers
Brian

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Daryl Douglas wrote:
Red Bigot wrote:Some people still get us confused or think we are the same person. :roll:

I've seen your photos, sometimes stop and think, "****, which one is that?" :wink: :lol:

Ric is the young one with all the white hair and beard that makes him look older than me... ;-) (And a bit like that gentleman that appears around the end of each year, but he doesn't like me saying that. 8) )
Cheers
Brian

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Well

My first Name's Gavin

and

My last name's Trott

I know, severe lack of imagination, but!

and the avatar

well, I actually look like that!
regards

Gavin Trott

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Red Bigot wrote:
Waiters Friend wrote:Gavin, are you able to clean up my duplicate duplicate posts? I'm sure you can't sort out my bloody ISP :x

I've deleted most of them, you should be able to delete your own posts, do you see a little red X next to Edit when you are logged in?

Thanks for the deletions, Brian. No, I don't see a little red X next to Edit, and I specifically went looking following this advice. Sorry. Hopefully I won't have a need for this in future anyway.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

pcjm

Post by pcjm »

Mine comes from a time when I was constantly being spamed because I had a simple user name, so I combined my and my wife's initials and havent been spammed since. Not very inventive but it works a treat

Davo

Post by Davo »

Have a guess :roll:

DJ

Post by DJ »

Fairly simple - my username is just my initials because I was too lazy to type out my name or come up with a cleverer name.

My avatar comes from a brief rush of ego mania after my PhD was published earlier this year - the cover of my book.
David J

Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake 1Ti 5:23

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

I like fishing, and a cuttlefish is the wierdest thing I've ever pulled out of the water. There is no connection at all with the avatar I use, which is actually a Brothers Hildebrandt artwork
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

Scanlon

Post by Scanlon »

I've been Scanlon on BBSes forever, and a lot of people know me as that not Sarah!

The sad truth is that I took the name after a tweenie football crush on a local Norwood player :roll: I sure hope he doesn't drink wine

the avatar - was for facebook - photoshopped myself into one of my favourite pictures at home

Teddy

Post by Teddy »

Nice and easy first name Trevor, last name Eddy.
So its not only that Im as cute as a teddy.

hmmm

Post by hmmm »

well my user name came about when i decided to sign up to another forum, a music forum. For the life of me i couldnt think a name that i wanted, hmmm, i pondered for hours and hmmm, i thought, hmmm... what will it be?? actually i only thought about it for less than 30 seconds, its inconspicuous enough to get by and small enough to not get pissed off having to enter it again if my computer logs me out. avatar to come soon.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Craig(NZ) well what can i say about that

Name Craig from NZ

exciting huh?

(can't expect too much imagination from an Analyst) :lol:
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

I thought I was an ok flogger...... errrrr.... golfer, when one day I attempted a crucial shot in my club championships when it pathetically veered off into an indescribeable place, when my caddie spat out "You're a hacker!", and sadly, it stuck.

You have to face up to your demons. I can live with it now. Bloody golf.