Your Cellar Delights

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

:D Fantastic Read !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ego is taking over what this forum was all about so Please keep it to your Cellar Delights :D

Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:In 2004 I tried another bottle (with a backup wine at the ready) but, lo and behold, the fruit was back and the wine was rich and complex with much more moderate tannins. It was lovely. The wine had been dormant for all this time. Now I have 2 bottles of the '82 Tahbilk left and I plan on serving it blind to people who continue to think that Australian wine, particularly the Shiraz, don't age. As mentioned in another post I have friends who think that the current crop of Australian wines don’t age, that the ’98s are already on the downward slope. Perhaps its true for some of the fruit bomb, high alcohol wines. Time will tell.

I presume by your Ribbet Red reference you are referring to French wines and not the Dan Murphy wine that I used to see when I was there in 2006/7. Well, like you I like to keep my wine purchases in the budget realm and I realize it is difficult in Australia to find good French wines in the budget category. But let me tell you that a 1997 Moss Wood tasted in 2001 was a Bordeaux look alike right from the bouquet. If the more reasonably priced French wines were available in Australia you too might like them. Just a thought.

Cheers…………………Mahmoud.

The 82 cab is shown as in decline on the Tahbilk vintage chart, the 81 still improving which I can believe based on the couple of bottles I had last year. They were quite mature but as I said above the fruit was there. The tannins were still quite drying on the finish.

Yep I was referring to the DM Ribbet line. I've seen a french red at about $20-$25 somewhere recently and it was a name, perhaps a Rhone, that I've seen on the fora. If I see it again I may get a bottle just to try, see if I can understand why so many are so taken with french wine. I suspect that my palate would lean more to Rhone wines than Burgundy or even Bordeaux.

I've bought a lot of wine already this year so I'm trying to restrain myself but The Wine Society has recently advertised some Italian wines that I've contemplated trying, in particular a Montepulciano D'Abruzzo 06 that from the TN, I may enjoy. An early-drinking Primitivo sounds interesting too - don't remember ever tasting a zinfandel, the Aussie examples are few and tend to be a bit high-priced. There's a sangiovese too but I've tried a Tahbilk that didn't rock my boat, preferred the cab franc I tried some time previously There seem to be a fair number of afficianados of Italian wines so I guess they must have something going for them. Of course I've tried chianti before and quite enjoyed it but have no idea whether those I've had were "good" or not.

Cheers

daz

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Daz,

The 2003 edition of Jeremy Oliver's On Wine Annual has the 1981 Tahbilk Cabernets's drinking window as 2001 to 2011, and the 1982 Tahbilk Cabernet's as 2012+. You would think that Tahbilk's chart is correct as they are based on pristine cellar samples.

A good Primitivo that I once saw in Sydney was A-Mano Primitivo, a fruity, juicy styled wine. Chianti Riservas have become quite pricey but if you want to have a good ordinary Chianti make sure it is from a good vintage as it makes a big difference, even with good producer's riservas. For a good example of Australian Sangiovese try Pizzini--I tried a bottle I found on sale for A$17 and it was delicious. Oh, at Margan's cellar door in the Hunter Valley I had the most elegant Barbera ($25). Apparently it won an award in Italy for the best non-Italian Barbera in the world.

Okay, "ego" aside, for Dazza1968:

Australian Cellar delight 1994 Wynn's John Riddock (another Cabernet), 1983 Grange and 1972 Hardy's Port

Cheers..............Mahmoud

Blue

Post by Blue »

My cellar:
85% Burgundy
10% Bordeaux
1% Italian,mostly Barolos
1% German Rieslings
2.95% Australian
0.05% NZ(1 bottle of cat piss (sav blanc) and 1 bottle of pinot noir, for "people i dont like") :twisted:

Favourite bottles:
Bonneau du Martray CC 91,93,96,99,00,02,04,05
Domaine Levlaive, Ramonet, Coche Dury 1er and GCs
Bouchard Montrachet 02
Bouchard Chevalier Montrachet 02,04,05
Bouchard CC 02,04,05
Rousseau Chambertin 83,84,85,95,96,98,99,01,02,03,04,05, magnums of 98,02
Rousseau Chambertin Clos de Beze 84,98,99,01,02,03,04,05, magnums of 02
Rousseau Clos st Jacques 96,98,99,05 magnums of 05
Rousseau Clos de Ruchottes 90,98,01
other Rousseaus
JF Mugnier Musigny 02,03,05
de Vogue Bonnes Mares 02,04,05, magnum of 02
de Vogue Musigny 05
DRC la Tache 01
DRC Richebourg 98

I just love burgundies :oops: Need to work a lot harder to be able to afford any DRC and Leroys :cry: maybe never!!

Bick

Post by Bick »

Blue wrote:0.05% NZ(1 bottle of cat piss (sav blanc) and 1 bottle of pinot noir, for "people i dont like") :twisted:

Hilarious :roll:

Blue wrote:I just love burgundies...

Maybe you should try some more new world pinot then rather than slate it - some of its quite good.
Cheers,
Mike

Blue

Post by Blue »

Bick wrote:
Blue wrote:0.05% NZ(1 bottle of cat piss (sav blanc) and 1 bottle of pinot noir, for "people i dont like") :twisted:

Hilarious :roll:

Blue wrote:I just love burgundies...

Maybe you should try some more new world pinot then rather than slate it - some of its quite good.

Yeah, i agree. I like Bass Phillip and Main Ridge Estate a lot. :D

Used to like NZ and Oregon pinot noirs, but not so much lately. Lots of blind pinot tasting, and NZ pinot really just can't keep up with the rest of the world, even good australian pinot. How can you justified the fuss and price of Bell Hill, Dry River and Felton rd with a good village Burgundy and Bass Phillip, even 50$ Main Ridge... I have to admit though, NZ Sav Blancs and Pinot Noirs maybe the best and the safest wines to serve for new wine drinkers.

Sorry, but I still love our serious Aussie pinot(even though not a lot of them) much better. :wink:

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Bick

You should know what type of personalities have 85% of Burgundy in their cellars. Dont go there, ignore. They will always look down on the rest of us uneducated people.

Those who can't enjoy a good sauvignon blanc seem blessed with the same personalities too according to my thorough and scientific research :lol:
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Blue,

I too would love to be able to afford DRC, Leroy, etc. but 85% Burgundy and only 1% Italy and no Spain, Germany, Chile, Argentina.........?

What do your friends drink and how do you serve a "mystery" wine?

Mahmoud

Blue

Post by Blue »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:Blue,

I too would love to be able to afford DRC, Leroy, etc. but 85% Burgundy and only 1% Italy and no Spain, Germany, Chile, Argentina.........?

What do your friends drink and how do you serve a "mystery" wine?

Mahmoud

I just buy from a good bottle shop everynow and then. I dont have facility to an underground cellar :cry:, just a few Liebherrs. So, space are limited. These wines does not increase in price significantly anyway, and museum releases and old bottles are rather easy to get. And we can return them in case of fault :wink:

Wanted to buy more Italian wines, but... I will need another source of income. :?

Oh, i forgot to add Champagne. Sellose, Billecart blanc de blanc, small boutique producers.... :P

Blue

Post by Blue »

Craig(NZ) wrote:Bick

You should know what type of personalities have 85% of Burgundy in their cellars. Dont go there, ignore. They will always look down on the rest of us uneducated people.

Those who can't enjoy a good sauvignon blanc seem blessed with the same personalities too according to my thorough and scientific research :lol:

No, I do NOT look down. To be honest, i don't care. For your information, i still drink a lot of NZ and other new world pinots for educational purposes. I just dont cellar them.

Some people in this forum doesnt even drink white wines. Does not mean they look down on people who do drink white wines.

Posting histories and reputation proves that you are more opinionated and patriotic about NZ wines. And about what other people drink, compare to most other posters. Serge Birbair aside, he is still numero uno :lol:

No, I cant drink sav blanc. It will ruin my dinner or my drinking session. Not even Sancerre, but thats just me. I will drink beer anyday over sav blanc, honest!! Please kindly describe my personality according to your thorough and scientific research.

Blue

Post by Blue »

Blue wrote:
Craig(NZ) wrote:Bick

No, I do NOT look down. To be honest, i don't care. For your information, i still drink a lot of NZ and other new world pinots for educational purposes. I just don't cellar them.

Some people in this forum don't even drink white wines. Do not mean they look down on people who do drink white wines.

Posting histories and reputation proves that you are more opinionated and patriotic about NZ wines. And about what other people drink, compare to most other posters. Serge Birbair aside, he is still numero uno :lol:

No, I can't drink sav blanc. It will ruin my dinner or my drinking session. Not even Sancerre, but thats just me. I will drink beer anyday over sav blanc, honest!! Please kindly describe my personality according to your thorough and scientific research.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Some people in this forum don't even drink white wines. Do not mean they look down on people who do drink white wines.

yes :lol:

Posting histories and reputation proves that you are more opinionated and patriotic about NZ wines

I post more on kiwis but i drink and cellar widely

No, I can't drink sav blanc. It will ruin my dinner or my drinking session. Not even Sancerre, but thats just me. I will drink beer anyday over sav blanc, honest!! Please kindly describe my personality according to your thorough and scientific research.

A famous winemaker in NZ once said "I sell Sauvignon Blanc so I can buy beer". I cant stand it often either but do enjoy a good one especially spring/ summer time. I cant stand chardy either unless its a top label

Serge Birbair aside, he is still numero uno

Bring back Serge! Serge was the Winston Peters of this forum.

Please kindly describe my personality according to your thorough and scientific research.

You have to reach 1000 posts before I can do that. What do you think this is a charity??

rooman

Post by rooman »

Blue wrote:My cellar:
85% Burgundy
10% Bordeaux
1% German Rieslings
2.95% Australian
0.05% NZ(1 bottle of cat piss (sav blanc) and 1 bottle of pinot noir, for "people i dont like") :twisted:

Favourite bottles:
Bouchard Montrachet 02
Bouchard CC 02,04,05
other Rousseaus
de Vogue Musigny 05
DRC la Tache 01
DRC Richebourg 98

I just love burgundies :oops: Need to work a lot harder to be able to afford any DRC and Leroys :cry: maybe never!!

I have to admit I do love burgundy. fortunately i have never really mastered the stuff hence my cellar is a little more balanced. I am however interested in the Rousseau you have, is it really that much more constant or just plain better than other houses (forget the DRC and LeRoy sideline). Is the Clos de Beze a big jump in quality over the standard Chambertin?

monghead

Post by monghead »

rooman wrote:
Blue wrote:My cellar:
85% Burgundy
10% Bordeaux
1% German Rieslings
2.95% Australian

Favourite bottles:
Bouchard Montrachet 02
Bouchard CC 02,04,05
other Rousseaus
de Vogue Musigny 05
DRC la Tache 01
DRC Richebourg 98

I have to admit I do love burgundy. fortunately i have never really mastered the stuff hence my cellar is a little more balanced. I am however interested in the Rousseau you have, is it really that much more constant or just plain better than other houses (forget the DRC and LeRoy sideline). Is the Clos de Beze a big jump in quality over the standard Chambertin?

Is the Rousseau Chambertain not above the Clos de Beze in the Rousseau pecking order???

Blue

Post by Blue »

monghead wrote:
rooman wrote:

Is the Rousseau Chambertain not above the Clos de Beze in the Rousseau pecking order???

Yeah, Rousseau Chambertin is above Clos de beze. Some years(rare), Clos de Beze is actually better than Chambertin. To be honest, if you blind taste me it will be difficult to tell which is which. :(

Rousseaus wines(for me) are just very consistent, even for bad years(especially Grand Crus). I never had a bad Rousseau, unless corked. We had a 1983 Chambertin a few months ago with Phillip Jones. We were very impressed with the wine, 1983 is a bad year, rot! Not for his Chambertin, not a sign of rot. I'd personally have a bad year Chambertin for a much lesser price than a good year les-Cazetiers or even Mazis and Charmes-Chambertin.

With DRC and Leroy, I just can't imagine the price of Rousseau's Chambertin if le Chambertin is as small(land size) as La Tache, Musigny, Richebourg or even Romanee Conti. For me, i like Rousseau better than Leroy, but DRC...... :P No, maybe Musignys!! No, stuff all that, my true weakness and love is le Montrachet!!!!

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Blue wrote:
monghead wrote:
rooman wrote:

Yeah, Rousseau Chambertin is above Clos de beze. Some years(rare), Clos de Beze is actually better than Chambertin. To be honest, if you blind taste me it will be difficult to tell which is which. :(

Rousseaus wines(for me) are just very consistent, even for bad years(especially Grand Crus). I never had a bad Rousseau, unless corked. We had a 1983 Chambertin a few months ago with Phillip Jones. We were very impressed with the wine, 1983 is a bad year, rot! Not for his Chambertin, not a sign of rot. I'd personally have a bad year Chambertin for a much lesser price than a good year les-Cazetiers or even Mazis and Charmes-Chambertin.

With DRC and Leroy, I just can't imagine the price of Rousseau's Chambertin if le Chambertin is as small(land size) as La Tache, Musigny, Richebourg or even Romanee Conti. For me, i like Rousseau better than Leroy, but DRC...... :P No, maybe Musignys!! No, stuff all that, my true weakness and love is le Montrachet!!!!

Hmmm, labels and egos seem inevitably drawn to each other. :roll:

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Hmmm, labels and egos seem inevitably drawn to each other.

I dont agree. If that were true id have more labels! :lol:

Someone pass me some more labels (prefer ones i can't spell or pronounce) :shock:

Blue

Post by Blue »

Daryl Douglas wrote:Hmmm, labels and egos seem inevitably drawn to each other. :roll:

True, true, so does unaffodability and jealousy :roll:

Nothing worse than no label and high ego though... :roll:

Just like cars, some people happy with a toyota corolla or camry, they won't see the point of driving a Porsche or Aston Martin, will they? No, i dont own a Porsche or Aston, hopefully one day.

rooman

Post by rooman »

Blue wrote:
Daryl Douglas wrote:Hmmm, labels and egos seem inevitably drawn to each other. :roll:

True, true, so does unaffodability and jealousy :roll:

Nothing worse than no label and high ego though... :roll:

Just like cars, some people happy with a toyota corolla or camry, they won't see the point of driving a Porsche or Aston Martin, will they? No, i dont own a Porsche or Aston, hopefully one day.

I agree, it is all about priorities. I have had the same car for most of this decade. I worked out ages ago most of friends lose any where from $10-40k each year on their car after allowing for depreciation and financing costs etc etc. Hence if I maintain mine in good condition, I can put that sort of wastage into exploring the wonderful of wine. Give me a case of fantastic wine over an exotic car any day of the week.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

I agree, it is all about priorities.

yip. id give up the $1000 burgundy for a holiday with my kids any day

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Lock me in for the car Eddie. I'd rather a nice car over a wine any day.

Nothing like giving it in 2nd gear and feeling the wiggle and lane drift as the car fights for traction and then hitting a bend and powering out of it.

In an ideal world I'd be sipping my Rockford BP while trying to not upset the glass winding my way around the GOR Rain Forest section in a M3/GT2/SL65 with some Wagner blaring out on the stereo. :wink:

Maroon&Blue

Post by Maroon&Blue »

DREAMER........NOTHIN BUT A DREAMER........ :lol:
Wine improves with age....the older I get, the better I like it!

hmmm

Post by hmmm »

dave vino wrote:Lock me in for the car Eddie. I'd rather a nice car over a wine any day.

Nothing like giving it in 2nd gear and feeling the wiggle and lane drift as the car fights for traction and then hitting a bend and powering out of it.

In an ideal world I'd be sipping my Rockford BP while trying to not upset the glass winding my way around the GOR Rain Forest section in a M3/GT2/SL65 with some Wagner blaring out on the stereo. :wink:

M3/GT2/SL65, ho hum... i guess like a lot of wines... can have so much more for so much less.

Blue

Post by Blue »

hmmm wrote:
dave vino wrote:Lock me in for the car Eddie. I'd rather a nice car over a wine any day.

M3/GT2/SL65, ho hum... i guess like a lot of wines... can have so much more for so much less.

M3/GT2/SL65 naturally come with nice bottles of wines, no? 8)
Last edited by Blue on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blue

Post by Blue »

hmmm wrote:

Oh btw, if you want to sip wines while driving and fighting for traction go for the SL65, automatic. Will be hard to change gears while sipping wine, i think... :? :D

rooman

Post by rooman »

I might be missing something here but we do live in the great sanitised country with its 110 kph and jail for going too too fast. Its been a while since I clocked 240 in an M3.

hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Blue wrote:
hmmm wrote:

yes... but they do shout "look at my $$$ and my no sense of original taste in cars" and in the case of windy forest driving $400,000 (is that how much a GT2 costs!!! :shock: :shock: ) buys you a slower and more cumbersome car than say the new GTR and your definitely paying more than twice as much for it... i do think the SL65 is a very nice car, (well the black series SL65 anyway)...

Blue

Post by Blue »

hmmm wrote:
Blue wrote:
hmmm wrote:

yes... but they do shout "look at my $$$ and my no sense of original taste in cars" and in the case of windy forest driving $400,000 (is that how much a GT2 costs!!! :shock: :shock: ) buys you a slower and more cumbersome car than say the new GTR and your definitely paying more than twice as much for it... i do think the SL65 is a very nice car, (well the black series SL65 anyway)...

I have to disagree, sorry. I dont know about GT2(dont really like it) but I'll take a GT3, Aston Martin or even a standard 911 over GTR. For the same money of GT2, Murcielago. Slower yes, but they look so much better than GTR in my opinion. Yes they do shout look at my $$$, but i guess i'll buy it for me to enjoy more than anything. What you'd rather have?A more demanding or even a bit high maintenance good looking wife or the not so good looking one who does the job or a little bit better. :P

So much for a "cellar delight" topic.... :o

hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Blue wrote:
I have to disagree, sorry. I dont know about GT2(dont really like it) but I'll take a GT3, Aston Martin or even a standard 911 over GTR. For the same money of GT2, Murcielago. Slower yes, but they look so much better than GTR in my opinion. Yes they do shout look at my $$$, but i guess i'll buy it for me to enjoy more than anything. What you'd rather have?A more demanding or even a bit high maintenance good looking wife or the not so good looking one who does the job or a little bit better. :P

So much for a "cellar delight" topic.... :o

i dont see how the GTR is a high maintenance car, and when it lands here for 150K it will be hard to beat in terms of bang for bucks.

Anyway to try and swing this back around somewhat, i just added 6 bottles of 1986 wynns John Riddoch to my 'cellar' which is an absolute delight!

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

At the end of the day, cutting behind all BS and justification some people just find the need to validate themselves and find some self worth in having the best of something/ everything

happens with wine, happens with cars, happens to all of us to some degree....

the nature of man :?