A great tasting Tokay

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
darren C

A great tasting Tokay

Post by darren C »

I need some help, as I am two thirds of the way through my half dozen Buller and Son Rare Old Tokays.
It has become a rather expensive habit, given the size of the bottle vs price.
I am looking for a well priced stick/fortified that I can quaff without burning a hole in the pocket.
The other is really enjoy and have the same problem with is Rockfords VP.

Other ideas welcomed.

michaelw

Post by michaelw »

Baileys of Glenrowan Founders Tokay. Mmmmmmm

And it won't break the budget.
Ciao,

michaelw

You know it makes sense!

Re: A great tasting Tokay

Post by Guest »

darren C wrote:I need some help, as I am two thirds of the way through my half dozen Buller and Son Rare Old Tokays.
It has become a rather expensive habit, given the size of the bottle vs price.
I am looking for a well priced stick/fortified that I can quaff without burning a hole in the pocket.
The other is really enjoy and have the same problem with is Rockfords VP.

Other ideas welcomed.

seppelt grand tokay and muscat - 25 for 750mls. super

TORB

Re: A great tasting Tokay

Post by TORB »

Darren,

I also love the Bullers and have found the Campbells Gold Top to be a pretty good alternative when I don't want to raid my stash of Bullers.

The Seppelts Grand range to me lacks the complexity the wine once had, doesn't have anywhere near the rancho character of the Campbells Classics and is a little simplistic by comparison.

Interestingly enough, on the Rutherglen Classification System, the Seppelts Grand is classified at a higher level than the Campbells Classic Liquid Gold and yet to me the Seppelts is simple and caramel by comparison.

The Seppelts Rare, whilst its a very nice wine is the least complex of any of the Rare classified wines that I tried, and I have tried just about all of them in the last few days. The tasting notes will be in my Tour Diary which will start going up in about 10 days.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Post by guest »

rancio

TORB

Post by TORB »

guest wrote:rancio

Well done done, :roll: now why don't you contribute something positive rather than pointing out my inability to use the spell check. :shock:

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

Darren 'ol boy try this little trick.
Buy a bottle of reasonable,but not great Tokay. Drink some of it and add a little Grand or Rare (preferable) Tokay to this bottle. Leave for a while and then try. By a while I mean 2-3 weeks or more.
I think you will find you have a nice drop of Tokay for a reasonable price. I found this by accident when I had a small amount of Browns VO Tokay left in a bottle. Poured myself a glass and poured the remainder into a 2/3 full bottle of Seppelts lower level Tokay. Got a pleasant surprise several weeks later.
Enjoy, :D
MM.
Last edited by Muscat Mike on Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glen G

Post by Glen G »

Try the Trevour Jones Barossa Muscat & Tokay - very good qpr at $50 (if you can still find it).

Regards
Glen (not logged in)

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Seppelt Grand is an obvious option.

Not quite so cheap (but much cheaper than rare tokay) is Dutchke (if you can get it), or Morris Cellar Reserve (CD only).

Kieran