Howard Park 94 & 96

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Cables

Howard Park 94 & 96

Post by Cables »

I am new to the Forum and would like to ask the learned members of the general opinions of the 94 and 96 Howard Park Cab/Merlot.

Optimum drinking period? and do you rate is it as highly as the Cullen of the same years?

Adair

Re: Howard Park 94 & 96

Post by Adair »

Cables wrote:I am new to the Forum and would like to ask the learned members of the general opinions of the 94 and 96 Howard Park Cab/Merlot.

Optimum drinking period? and do you rate is it as highly as the Cullen of the same years?

1994 - Absolutely - still going strong - depending on tastes - now to 2010

I have not had the 1996.

Adair

monghead

Post by monghead »

Hiya Cables,

I too am new to contributing to this forum. I had recently tried the 96 Howard Park Cabernet. I thought it was a sound wine, but in it's drinking window, with decline in sight. The restaurant was too dim to comment on colour, but the nose was dominated by earthy, cigar leather, with sour blackcurrant fruit. The palate was medium bodied, with earthy, leathery nuances, with sour fruit on the back palate. There was not much on the middle palate, and the tannins seemed out of proportion to the fruit. I am not sure if this is a bad bottle, as this wine has been well written up, but I will be trying my others sooner rather than later.

Cheers,

Monghead.

Cables

Post by Cables »

I'll be trying both bottles shortly and will post tasting notes then.