Melbourne visit/possible offline

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Gavin Trott

Melbourne visit/possible offline

Post by Gavin Trott »

Hey Melbournites,

am heading over your way in July, specifically the 11th, 12th and 13th, that weekend!

Shortish notice, but I wondered if people were interested in, available for, a get together, an offline if you like?

Love to catch up with some of you, share a glass or three and a nice bite to eat.

Anyone interested?
Last edited by Gavin Trott on Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
regards

Gavin Trott

Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Hey Gavin - I'd be up for it - yet to meet you. Only it'd need to be around the city/central area for me, wouldn't be able to make it to the outer eastern suburbs. 8)

tpang

Post by tpang »

Hey Gavin, where abouts will you be staying this time coz I remember the last time u came down, you were in the Dandys?

I'll offer the first suggestion for a place we can check out. The Metropolitan Hotel in North Melbourne has good food, and corkage is $5. If we gather enough troops, perhaps we can work out something with them..

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

tpang wrote:Hey Gavin, where abouts will you be staying this time coz I remember the last time u came down, you were in the Dandys?

I'll offer the first suggestion for a place we can check out. The Metropolitan Hotel in North Melbourne has good food, and corkage is $5. If we gather enough troops, perhaps we can work out something with them..

We are staying in the Dandenongs again, but will go anywhere, central is fine also.

In fact, if the Saturday night suits we'll be in the city all day, and love to meet and greet and dine with some of you?

So location not important this time.
regards

Gavin Trott

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Gavin Trott wrote:
tpang wrote:Hey Gavin, where abouts will you be staying this time coz I remember the last time u came down, you were in the Dandys?

We are staying in the Dandenongs again, but will go anywhere, central is fine also.

In fact, if the Saturday night suits we'll be in the city all day, and love to meet and greet and dine with some of you?

So location not important this time.

Gavin, have you emailed/PM'd Bert? - he seemed pretty keen to catch up with you the last time he was in town. I reckon he'd be happy to gather a few friendly faces to share some wines with you, and he may have some dining suggestions too.

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Anonymous

oh, such a shame

Post by Anonymous »

Hi Gavin.

I would love to have caught up, but my husband and I will be on our belated honeymoon. Will you be travelling to Melbourne again later in the year?

Chooksalottle

darby

I'm good for Saturday night

Post by darby »

I haven't been to the Metropolitan but if it's BYO it sounds good to me.

Will we have a theme, or will it just be bring a good bottle?

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

I've not tried it either, but am very interested.

Who would like to make it an evening? Partners very welcome, my wife will be with me. She loves wine and a get together, but I'm sure it wasn't all male wine geeks!!??

Theme, not my preference, just really nice stuff, but happy to go along with the group on this??

Who's available and keen?
regards

Gavin Trott

Mark S

Post by Mark S »

yes sirree - I'll be available & keen - will do my best to get my partner to come along - she loves a glass of great wine, but thinks all-male wine evenings (which I get along to on occasion) are an excuse for wankery :roll:

tpang

Post by tpang »

Here's the link to the Metro's menu: http://www.metrohotel.com.au/menus/

Note: pub-menu (quite sizeable and decent!) can be had in the restaurant section

If we can shore up numbers, I'm happy to go down to ruffle the manger to organise something for our group.

darby

Post by darby »

Count me in for just one. My better half doesn't much like wine events, blokey or not.

michaelw

Post by michaelw »

Damn, we don't get back from NSW until the following day. Would have been there for sure otherwise
Ciao,

michaelw

You know it makes sense!

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Hello All

Do we have a group, date and venue as yet?

Someone local to perhaps organise?
regards

Gavin Trott

tpang

Post by tpang »

Thus far, we've got

Gavin (is this a +1?)
Mark S (+1 perhaps?)
darby
tpang

at the Metropolitan, North Melbourne.
Either Friday 11th, or Saturday 12th.

I'll need some confirmations so that I can make the booking and speak to the manger about the bottles.

This is a tiny group, come on Melbournites! Show yer faces!

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Gavin is definitely +1

Gavin plus Robyn
regards

Gavin Trott

darby

confirm me

Post by darby »

Just the one I of me.

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Big apology.

Sorry guys, sudden change of plans and, due to family illness (who needs children) our Melbourne trip has been postponed.

As such, we would, obviously, be unable to attend.

Sorry if we have stuffed you around, and thankfully no one has yet booked!

Of course, those interested can still go ahead and make a night of it, but we will not be able to attend. :oops:
regards

Gavin Trott

darby

Late withdrawal

Post by darby »

Sorry guys, I am also a late withdrawal.

Better luck next time.

Mark S

Post by Mark S »

My wife isn't all that keen, either - I can see it now, couple of us on a park bench in North Melb, with some fish & chips in a greasy wrapper, and something lovely in a brown paper bag (such as McWilliams Royal Reserve) to sip on. Interestingly, these have had screwcaps since time immemorial. :wink: