It's that day of the week and again

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TORB

It's that day of the week and again

Post by TORB »

Hi good peoples,

Sunday is upon us again. Time to let us know what you have been drinking over the last week. Tasting notes, vibes, or lists are all welcome.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Port Phillip Estate Pinot Noir 2004
Pretty hefty monster of a pinot, quite spicy, a touch rustic, upfront and jugular, with a satisfying earthy richness. Room to move.

The Rookery Sangiovese 2004
A disappointment after having tried their 04 Cabernet which was marvellous - this presented as a slightly dried out, tannic pizza wine and I was expecting a bit more elegance.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Just back from a stellar trip to queenstown. Great scenery and took in many Central Otago wines too. General feel was that the medium dry rieslings are sensational and the pinot noir is over rated (I didnt try any that excited me enough to part with $45) I can though recommend:

07 Felton Road Riesling
07 Peregrene Charcoal Creek Riesling
06 Carrick Josephine Riesling
07 Carrick Riesling
06 Mt Difficulty Mansons Farm Single Vineyard Pinot Gris

Also got to try a number of other NZ wines ex wine shops and restaurants.

I took this picture is of Mt Cook across Lake Pukaki. Noooice!!

Mt Difficulty vines overlooking old gold slucings

View from summit of Ben Lomand which I climbed one day (1748m asl)

Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

dlo

Post by dlo »

Louis Roederer Vintage Brut 1996 - glorious wine - incredibly fine streams of slow rising, smallest of beading glisten in a sea of light burnished gold. An extraordinary bouquet and palate displaying such a complexity of nuance, depth of flavour, unforgettable structure and awesome length. Traces of honeyed citrus and glazed white peaches support the most congruous assembly of yeast autolysis characters one seeks in a top Champagne - brioche, fresh crusty bread and nutty digestive biscuits. Magnificently rounded and polished in the mouth with a wealth of swirling mousse, creamy texture although still lively enough with perfectly meshed, but softening, acidty supporting the rich and poised yeasty flavours. Slips down the throat with consummate ease. My gut tells me this wine is close to as great as it will get. Drink now - 2011. 95 points.

Tyrrell's Stevens Semillon 2003 - tight but a little dilute and somewhat non-descript - no obvious faults except for being a little bland - 84 points - good

O'Leary Walker Watervale Riesling 2006 - some reduction on the nose, that gradually dissipated, quite a powerful wine with plenty of acid although a little phenolic and some bitterness in the finish - didn't improve with air - 85(-) points - good/very good.

Ch. L'Arrossee 1982 - This St. Emillon really kicked some butt on the day - fully mature with a lovely cedary/sweet earthy bouquet with supporting leather/dried herbs and blackcurrant fruit. Palate equally engaging with a near perfect equilibrium and decnt length. Top class right-banker. Drink now - 2012+ 92 points

Yarra Yering Pinot Noir 1995 - a bit exciting for me to see an Australian Pinot hold on for so long with no sign of senility. Bucket loads of sweet plum and cherry fruit with some sappy/gamey notes in the nose, just lacks a touch of complexity on the palate. Otherwise, excellent! 90 points Drink now - 2010

Peter Lehmann The Mentor 1992 - an unusual blend of Cabernet, Merlot, Shiraz and Malbec. This wine had me stumped for vintage and maker. Very youthful for age. A powerfully built, classy number with an incredibly good bouquet (cedary, herbs and bucketloads of briary sweet blackcurrants fruit) followed by an equally impressive tight but fleshy palate with surprisingly good structure, plenty of petrol in the tank and a whopping but controlled and well-balanced finish. Top marks from me for what it is! 93 points Drink now - 2017+

Cambrai Vintage Port 1985 - This small idiosyncratic McLaren Vale winery pulled off a great result with this vintage of 100% fortified Shiraz. At least one Championship, several trophies and gold medals on the Australian Wineshow circuit right through to the early 1990's. Outstanding effort with one of my experienced wine buddies firmly convinced this was Portuguese. Still holds very good depth of colur for its age, an impressively ripe but not overly sweet and spiritous nose. Unlike so many other Aussie vintage ports does not display their often overextracted/worked pruney characters. This wine's fruit spectrum firmly in the cherry/blackberry spectrum with a nice touch of couterbalancing spirit. Still carries some firmish astringency through the long finish and will go another 10-15 years if well kept. 92 points
Last edited by dlo on Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

David

TORB

Post by TORB »

David,

Great to see you back mate. Where you been?
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Pelican

Post by Pelican »

1995 Mount Pleasant Lovedale Vineyard Hunter Valley Semillon :

A much better bottle than the one described by Dave Dewhurst last week. His tasting note well described a tired Hunter Semillon that might have been affected by the cork or by being in some sort of torture chamber passing as a cellar.

I've almost purchased this wine numerous times over the years but never did. Recently got 3 for a good price at Auction.

Interestingly Jeremy Oliver changed his drinking window on this from 2003-2007 to 2007-2015 a few years ago.

Good glowing gold colour. Classic aged Hunter Semillon nose and great acid cut on the palate. Nice citrus fruit too.

At first the length seemed a bit short but as the wine got less cold the length seemed to get longer. Shows the importance of correct serving temperature for these special wines ( ie straight out of the fridge is probably way too cold ).

2004 Summerfield Shiraz Pyrenees Victoria : good deep rich Shiraz. If tasted blind I might have guessed good McLaren Vale.

dlo

Post by dlo »

TORB wrote:David,

Great to see you back mate. Where you been?

Nursing broken ribs at the moment .... ever sneezed with rib cartilage damage .... now I know why people take drugs!

I've recently decided to start posting again on a more regular basis on all my favourite sites (this one, bert's, tom's and robin's) ....oh, and including my blog, too! Let's see how long it lasts this time! :wink:
Cheers,

David

SueNZ

Post by SueNZ »

dlo wrote:Louis Roederer Vintage Brut 1996 - glorious wine .....

What about that 1996 Grand Cru Burg you had for lunch on Thursday?

dlo

Post by dlo »

SueNZ wrote:
dlo wrote:Louis Roederer Vintage Brut 1996 - glorious wine .....

What about that 1996 Grand Cru Burg you had for lunch on Thursday?

.... you mean this one .....

Georges Mugneret Gevrey-Chambertin Grand Cru Ruchottes-Chambertin 1996

Substantial bricking belies the fresh and lively bouquet that houses deepset black fruit offset by strong malty/savoury oak, freshly turned sod of earth, game and pinot sap with intriguing faint top notes of miso, soy, ginger and cinnamon stick. The thumbprint of Burgundy’s 1996 Pinot’s - cool fruit, high acidity and potential for extended longevity plasters itself all over the palate. Unlike the 1996 Echezeaux from the same Domaine, the Ruchottes displays the requisite level of ripeness with no “green” or “rough” edges. The elegant, silky mouthfeel sits perfectly with fine lacy tannins and perky acidity that offer the correct amount of grip for this slightly austere style with a finish that provides quite ample length and some decent authority. Drink 2010-2016. 93 points

:wink:
Cheers,

David

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Couple more to round out the weekend...

Penfolds Bin 389 Cabernet Shiraz 2003
I can taste a Barossa element to this wine, at least it seems that way anyway. Very pleasant, robust in style with soft tannins, loads of fruit and the gentle hint of a hot finish. An earlier drinking style I suspect and none the worst for it. A fair way from elegant but delicious anyway.

Bowen Estate Shiraz 2002

Better than previous outings of this wine - all white pepper and spice, quite well structured with a long, slightly herbal, green palate. A funky, outspoken wine that wouldn't appeal to all but did it well enough for me, this day.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Bick

Post by Bick »

Benfield & Delamare 2001 [Cab Sauv/Merlot/Cab Franc; 13.5%]
This was pretty good. Lovely rich black fruit and integrated oak on the nose - palate had heaps of blackberries and it had nicely balanced acid and mellow tannins. I'm no expert on the aging of these wines, but I'd say it had quite a few years left - there's still some decent structure. Finished quite long. I've got a couple more, and will leave those a little while.

Jay60A

Post by Jay60A »

Gaillard Cote Rotie Rose Pourpre 2003
Deep red colour. Fresh, pure strawberry nose with asian spices. Modern style, impeccably clean and a touch of coffeed oak. Focussed, very concentrated yet very fresh, offering a deep core of sour cherry and plummy fruit which has yet to reveal much more than potential, and should meld beautifully with the savoury hints it offers now. Explodes into all parts of the mouth with only a small taste, real length here and simply does a dance on the retronasal. 14% alc. Very sexy. Excellent / Outstanding.

The 03 Northern Rhone vintage was criticised as being non-classical as a result of the hot vintage - but for me this is dramatic wine indeed.
Should be given another 8 years perhaps.
“There are no standards of taste in wine. Each mans own taste is the standard, and a majority vote cannot decide for him or in any slightest degree affect the supremacy of his own standard". Mark Twain.

winetastic

Post by winetastic »

No detailed notes, so just some impressions:

Mount Pleasant Elizabeth Semillon 2001 (Stelvin) - Fresh as a daisy, plenty of young citrus character and just a little aged butteryness starting to show, very good

Mount Pleasant Elizabeth Semillon 2000 (Cork) - Not as intense as the 01, certainly more developed, still has a few years at least (seal permitting), good quaffer

Kellermeister Cabernet Sauvignon 1998 - Brought around by a friend, this Barossa number is drinking beautifully now and reminds me that I need more aged Cabernet. I could have sat smelling this wine for hours.

Rosemount Estate Show Reserve Shiraz 2002 - McLaren Vale fruit, we had two bottles over the long weekend. The first I felt the oak was sticking out and was rather tannic, the second was drinking really well - shiraz fruit forward, tannins softening and integrated oak. Ill play cork roulette with the other 4 bottles over the next year or two as storage has not always been ideal.

Peter Van Gent "The Matrix" Shiraz 01/02 - Multi vintage blend from Mudgee, the winery are mostly known for their fortifieds, however this premium Shiraz made me sit up and take notice. A lovely deep core of Shiraz fruit, well integrated tannins and a lingering earthy character.

The Kellermeister just snatched the gold for WOTW, followed closely by Peter Van Gent.

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

07 Kalleske Clarrys A very nice surprise brought to dinner by a friend last night. Lovely deep purple red colour. Full bodied wine with lovely rounded and not too sweet caramel and a touch of olives. Nice and spicey. Excellent food wine and drinking exceptionally well right now. Brilliant quaffer with heaps of potential to age. Definitely recommend this to anyone.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Craig(NZ) wrote:
I took this picture is of Mt Cook across Lake Pukaki. Noooice!!

Mt Cook under a clear sky? How'd you arrange that?!

View from summit of Ben Lomand which I climbed one day (1748m asl)

Due to a miscalculation with the time, we never left ourselves enough time to get quite to the top. Only the last ridge was left. But, yes, it is a staggering view - in all directions. At least we had a clear day for that!
cheers,
Graeme

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

bacchaebabe wrote:07 Kalleske Clarrys A very nice surprise brought to dinner by a friend last night. Lovely deep purple red colour. Full bodied wine with lovely rounded and not too sweet caramel and a touch of olives. Nice and spicey. Excellent food wine and drinking exceptionally well right now. Brilliant quaffer with heaps of potential to age. Definitely recommend this to anyone.

Good isn't it!

It starred at our recent auswine tasting panel too, especially when the price was revealed. Finishes quite a bit more savoury than the 2006, which I liked.

Terrific wine value, and on the showing of the 2006, will improve dramatically in the short term, even 6 - 12 months.
regards

Gavin Trott

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Mt Cook under a clear sky? How'd you arrange that?!

yeah we were lucky though mt cook under a clear sky seems a bit more common than mt egmont under a clear sky. im yet to see that in the flesh.

Due to a miscalculation with the time, we never left ourselves enough time to get quite to the top. Only the last ridge was left. But, yes, it is a staggering view - in all directions. At least we had a clear day for that!

Yeah thats the steepest bit prob 2 hours return from the saddle to summit return incl photos at the top. First time on that type of walk you never quite know how long it will take or how hard it will be.

that night it was 05 kumeu river chardonnay which was stunning!!
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

mattECN

Post by mattECN »

2006 St Hallet Faith Shiraz

fantastic wine, great depth of fruit, well balanced and a good lingering finish. drinking well now and should cellar pretty well for the short-medium term. I really enjoyed this.

Wycroft

Post by Wycroft »

2003 Brown Brothers Cellar Door Release Tempranillo
Some nice fruit but tending toward simple and candy-like.

2003 Villa Maria Cellar Selection Hawkes Bay Merlot/Cabernet
A bit austere - not unripe, but all spine and no flesh.

Thinks, hmm, I've got half a bottle of blousy candy juice and half a bottle of something a bit mean.

Poured one into the other and watched the Chiefs clean up the Reds. That was a one-sided affair, whereas my little wine blending experiment proved to be most complimentary.
Last edited by Wycroft on Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

griff

Post by griff »

Gavin Trott wrote:
bacchaebabe wrote:07 Kalleske Clarrys A very nice surprise brought to dinner by a friend last night. Lovely deep purple red colour. Full bodied wine with lovely rounded and not too sweet caramel and a touch of olives. Nice and spicey. Excellent food wine and drinking exceptionally well right now. Brilliant quaffer with heaps of potential to age. Definitely recommend this to anyone.

Good isn't it!

It starred at our recent auswine tasting panel too, especially when the price was revealed. Finishes quite a bit more savoury than the 2006, which I liked.

Terrific wine value, and on the showing of the 2006, will improve dramatically in the short term, even 6 - 12 months.

Tried on the weekend and funnily enough I think the 07 a great deal better than the 06. Agree with both of you that the spice/savoury characters were there in the 07 and that give it balance as well as interest.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Of interest might be pre-releases of

02 Jim Barry Personal Reserve Cabernet/Shiraz - winner of the Great Australian Red and probably rightfully so. Top wine with a bit of mint, plenty of oak, a big balanced palate and enormous fruit power while managing to stay pretty stylish.
05 Jim Barry McRae Wood Shiraz - Surprisingly approachable and I'd say better than the 2004. Rich and satisfying and delicious.
05 Jim Barry Armagh - Impenetrable but started to open up. It's a wine of startling density and impact that should be immortal (subject to good cork). Is it $200 worth compared to the McRae wood...probably not but it is very good.

GW