More on alternative styles

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
MilduraBob

Post by MilduraBob »

For some time I have been interested in many of the alternative wine styles and I would be interested to hear what others have to say on this subject. Let me be a bit more specific.
For the purposes of this post, allow me to categorize Australian wines into three tiers, whilst it’s not very scientific, it enables me to describe what I am on about. Tier 1 includes the more common styles of cabernet, shiraz, merlot, reisling, chardonnay [etc], whilst tier 3 covers those almost experimental styles covered by Gustav in his ‘AFWAC Tasting’ post on the 6th April, which I found very interesting. Living in Mildura I am aware of the Murray Darling Collection [MDC] project and have had the opportunity to taste many of the wines they are promoting. Just last Saturday evening I had the opportunity to taste a really interesting wine that fits into this tier 3 group, although it is not part of the MDC project. It was a 2005 Trentham Estate Lambrusco Maestri, but don’t be fooled by the word Lambrusco. This was a big, bold red with deep colour, excellent fruit flavours, firm tannins with a great finish. This wine is an example of Trentham Estate’s commitment to alternative wine styles and could hold its own in any company.
But it’s what I call the tier 2 wines like Petit Verdot, Malbec, Viognier, Durif, Pinot Grigio and Grenache that I would really like to see some discussion on. Over recent years I have tried examples of all these varieties and have several of them in my cellar and have become a real fan of particularly Petit Verdot and Durif wines. I continue to experiment with these wines in an attempt to find the ones that I prefer, which in itself is an interesting exercise.
What do others think about these styles? What should those interested in these wines be looking for? What are your favourite labels in these alternative styles?
Cheers,
MilduraBob

GRB

Post by GRB »

For Durif, if you like the extreme end of things give Warrabilla a try. Excellent stuff but definately from the big end of town.

Glen
Winner of the inaugural RB cork-count competition
Runner up RB-NTDIR competition
Runner up TORB TN competition
Leave of absence second RB c-c competition

Daniel Jess

Post by Daniel Jess »

And tempranillo?

There are some great spanish winestyles being produced in QLD and NSW. Try looking out Golden Grove.. they have a great durif also.

I think Australian winemarkers are finally discovering the true gems in their vineyards (mediterranean varietals) and we are seeing more commercial use of the aforementioned grapes.

I really quite enjoy many Australian viogniers, with particular focus on adelaide hills and even Mornington Peninsula, believe it or not!

MilduraBob

Post by MilduraBob »

GRB, thanks for the comment on the Warrabilla Durif. I looked it up and you are right, it is from ‘the big end of town’. I notice that the 2006 Limited Release Parola Durif is 18% alc but the comments from the reviewer were that ii was a well balanced wine. I think the wine maker refers to their Durifs as 'fruit bombs'. I will have to give it a try!
Daniel, I have had a Golden Grove Merlot and wasn’t aware that they made a Durif. I will have to chase that one up as well.
In my area, although not renowned as a premium wine region, we are seeing a real trend towards a number of the mediterranean styles, Tempranillo, Nebbiolo [etc], and as climate change starts to have an impact, these varieties may be the wine future of the Murray Darling region.
MilduraBob

darby

Best new varieties

Post by darby »

My two cents worth.

White vareities which are worth a look are Vermentino, arneis and Fiano. I'll reserve judgement on Albarino, although Jim Irvine has made a great one. Although Pinot Gris is now fairly common there is still some work to be done and I believe they are getting better.

Among the newer reds I like tempranillo, (becoming mainstream) Lagrien, Barbera and Dolcetto. Tscharke's Montepulciano is a consistent Gold medalist at the AAVWS.

smithy

Post by smithy »

8) don't consider my durifs fruit bombs at all.
Big maybe.
Balanced hopefully.
Bombs...well thats a call for others.
Bombs go off after all.
home of the mega-red

winetastic

Post by winetastic »

Of the few Petit Verdot wines I have tried, I was rather impressed. Trentham Estate in particular have produced some good value numbers:

Review of 2003 Vintage
Review of 2004 Vintage

I feel that Grenache is fairly mainstream in the Barossa and McLaren Vale, both in GSM blends and standing on its own. Some of the better examples I have tried in the realms of straight Grenache are Samuel's Gorge 2005 (or was it 2006?), Vinrock 2005 and Longhop (Adelaide Hills).

GrahamB

Re: Best new varieties

Post by GrahamB »

darby wrote:My two cents worth.

White vareities which are worth a look are Vermentino, arneis and Fiano. I'll reserve judgement on Albarino, although Jim Irvine has made a great one. Although Pinot Gris is now fairly common there is still some work to be done and I believe they are getting better.

Among the newer reds I like tempranillo, (becoming mainstream) Lagrien, Barbera and Dolcetto. Tscharke's Montepulciano is a consistent Gold medalist at the AAVWS.

Darby,

I hear there is a Kerner being released in the Barossa this year.
Has your newsletter gone into hibernation?

Graham
Chardonnay: A drink you have when there is no RED wine, the beer hasn't arrived and the water may be polluted

drunkenbum
Location: Frostville South East S.A (Or are we the Limestone Coast now?)

Post by drunkenbum »

Heres a review from dear old Jancis (that is if you trust her :P )concerning a Wrattonbully Sangiovese from a Coonawarra producer.

http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/20080421
Asleep in a gutter somewhere!