Quality Balsamic Vinegar

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Sarg

Quality Balsamic Vinegar

Post by Sarg »

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody knows a good online store to get quality Balsamic from? I've done a search on the net but can only find wholesale lists or overseas shops.

Andrew

Nayan

Post by Nayan »

Not sure about online stores, but if you are willing to be a little bit old fashioned and use the telephone then I'd recommend:

Botega Rotolo in Adelaide,
Enoteca Sileno in Melbourne, or,
Black Pearl in Brisbane

Sarg

Post by Sarg »

Thanks for that :D .

Didn't have to be online and i'm in brisbane so i'll check out the Black Pearl.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

There are a lot of quality levels and ages, are you after the aged stuff for special occasions or a good everyday one?

For everyday use the Mazzetti 4-leaf version at the chains is a very good balsamic and quite reasonably priced.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Davo

Post by Davo »

Red Bigot wrote:There are a lot of quality levels and ages, are you after the aged stuff for special occasions or a good everyday one?

For everyday use the Mazzetti 4-leaf version at the chains is a very good balsamic and quite reasonably priced.

Yep, and came out on top in a Choice magazine blind tasting against balsamics that were more than 10x more expensive, if that sort of thing means anything to anyone here.

Mind you, the 4 leaf rating is a quality control indicator in Modena and is supposedly top of the wozza.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Red Bigot wrote:There are a lot of quality levels and ages, are you after the aged stuff for special occasions or a good everyday one?

Brian,

Can that be found in Woolies and Coles? I've been wondering about what's a decent balsamic, sounds good.

Cheers

Davo

Post by Davo »

Grant wrote:

Brian,

Can that be found in Woolies and Coles? I've been wondering about what's a decent balsamic, sounds good.

Cheers

Yes, at least in Coles.

Sarg

Post by Sarg »

I've got the Mazzetti 4 leaf for everyday use but wouldn't mind getting one for special occasions. I nearly got tricked at coles with a $17 dollar bottle but it didn't have the seal on the neck of the bottle that true Balsamic has and the ingredients confirmed it was nothing more than wine vinegar with must added :roll: .

From what i've found the good aged ones usually offer a 100ml bottle and thats all i'm after. I'll try the Black Pearl but alot of little gourmet shops have gourmet prices :wink: .

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Sarg wrote:From what i've found the good aged ones usually offer a 100ml bottle and thats all i'm after. I'll try the Black Pearl but alot of little gourmet shops have gourmet prices :wink: .

A very old aged balsamic can cost $100+ per bottle and is almost treacly. Black Pearl seems to be associated with Simon Johnson, they should have a good range and may even have some out for tastings. Expect ot pay $40-$50 and up for a reasonably aged high quality one.
Cheers
Brian

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Grant wrote:

Brian,

Cheers

Both Coles and Woolies in ACT stock Mazzetti.
Cheers
Brian

dkw

Post by dkw »

I agree with others about Mazetti 4 star balsamic. A cut above the rest and widely available.

But if you want some really top notch stuff, look for aceto balsamico tradizionale di Modena and go for extra vecchio, which is aged a minimum of 25 years. This is the version you really can put on strawberries!

If you put aceto balsamico tradizionale di Modena into your search engine, you should come up with a list. A few years ago when we were bold scooter travellers we bought a couple of bottles from Acetaia di Giorgio in Modena and it is still very good.

I think it's like wine though, subtle differences between producers (if it had been in my attic for 25 years it would be guaranteed to be 'different')

Good luck,

Dave

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Will be in Emilia-Romagna later this year (all being well), including at this stage taking in a few nights in Reggio nell'Emilia (between Parma and Modena). Will definitely pick up some older balsamic vinegar - and as the containers are so small, should be able to take it in carry-on luggage!

Sarg

Post by Sarg »

Red Bigot wrote:
Sarg wrote:From what i've found the good aged ones usually offer a 100ml bottle and thats all i'm after. I'll try the Black Pearl but alot of little gourmet shops have gourmet prices :wink: .

A very old aged balsamic can cost $100+ per bottle and is almost treacly.

I seen some on a US site and they were $180 for a 100ml bottle.... my budget doesn't run that high though. Now I know where to look I just have to convince my wife who doesn't like the stuff :lol: .