TN: fading Loire, aging Penfolds (2xGrange), etc

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
GraemeG

TN: fading Loire, aging Penfolds (2xGrange), etc

Post by GraemeG »

Continuing the Noble Rotters’ theme of ‘Great 20th Anniversary Dinners’, this event was supposed to focus on Penfolds in 1988, a rather specific requirement which proved too much for most of us. Consequently, some wines were younger, some weren’t Penfolds, some combined both those non-conformances…

…beginning with the aperitif, a cellar orphan bottle of
1955 Chateau de la Guimoniere (Coteaux du Layon Chaume)
It’s a big ask to expect a relatively modest Loire chenin to hold together over fifty years. And it receives a hedged reply. A clear gold/amber colour. The nose is now becoming quite oxidative, but there’s still a remnant of honeyed, syrupy fruit. The palate manages a dash of quince-like flavours as well, not exactly fresh, but not in terminal decay either. The finish combines a little warmth and bitterness, which marries well enough with the medium-sweetness of the wine generally. A pleasant and attractive wine, which has seen its best days, but remains an interesting curio.

1988 Redbank Sally’s Paddock Cabernet blend (Pyrenees) [cork, 11.6%]
Mostly cabernet-family grapes, but I think may contain some shiraz as well, being a genuine vineyard blend. A clear garnet, with very little fading at the rim. An enchanting, mildly developed nose of lifted sweet red berries, cloves and soft oak precedes a palate of glacéd fruit flavours, a frisson of acid, softly resolved dusty tannin and medium weight. The flavours and texture run right through to the back palate, the wine has a lovely cool feel to it, with a light but lingering finish. At a glorious peak, and far better than I expected. Quite exquisite.

1988 Penfolds Bin 389 Cabernet-Shiraz (South Australia) [cork, 13.3%]
Still a glowing dark garnet after all these years. There’s a lot to like here. Classic meaty Penfolds nose. Dash of tar, ripe red fruits and a distinctly sweet note at the top. Developing – not to be mistaken for a youthful wine. Attractive palate, ticking all the ‘medium’ boxes – acid, chalky tannin, weight, length. A good arc of structure from front to back palate, rich, ripe and solid, nicely knitted together. Cabernet and shiraz singing in dependable harmony. Compared to some of tonight’s other wines it may lack a little in flair, but that’s being picky. In great condition, will see another 5 years easily. A very good wine that shouldn’t be taken for granted.

1988 Penfolds Grange Shiraz (South Australia) [cork, 13.5%]
Still ruby red. Not a hint of garnet red anywhere. The developing nose is stamped with that unmistakable Grange character; the liqueur-shiraz aromas, vanillan oak, spice, leather. Rich and refined, never raucous. The palate presents well integrated acidity, medium-high chalky tannins, nearly full body, with lavish ripe sweet fruit, subsumed oak and a long balanced finish. It’s a hefty wine, but all within itself, and makes the preceding Bin 389 look rather coarse. Not an especially acclaimed vintage, nor reviled either; I can see this still improving for years to come. A bit of a sleeper. I can’t imagine anyone tasting this and not being impressed. Wonderful wine.

The stash of 88s having come to an abrupt end, we move forward in time at the top end of Penfolds’ portfolio…
1993 Penfolds Bin 707 Cabernet Sauvignon (Coonawarra, Padthaway) [cork, 13.5%]
Another solid ruby-coloured offering. Authentically developing cabernet on the nose, with a touch of capsicum/herbaceousness, and an undercurrent of cassis. Luxury oak doesn’t quite hide the green streak. The palate is predictably full, chalkily tannic, grippingly dry and intense. Plenty of weight on the back palate here – noticeably so. It’s a big solid wine, although it does blunder about a bit; the palate doesn’t quite live up to the nose, and the length of finish falls away a little to reveal a rather hard green streak underneath. Given the vintage conditions and grape sources, it’s no great surprise. Will no doubt hold on for many years, but will never really develop any charm. A good wine lacking that magic touch.

1997 Penfolds Magill Estate Shiraz (Adelaide) [cork, 13.5%]
This was a tough year, and the wine shows it. Still ruby red, the nose presents contrasting aromas of white pepper and spice; very different from other Penfolds offerings tonight. The wine tastes like it’s been worked very hard, with medium gritty tannins, plenty of spiky acidity, and a bone-dry palate. Despite this, it actually feels rather loose-knit, all these components seem to wander around on the palate and never quite get together. Doesn’t really taste unripe, just angular and disjointed. There’s decent enough balance right through the palate; it just needs food to pull it together (or paper over the cracks!). But it’s an honest single vineyard wine reflecting the year. Drink up.

1998 Penfolds St Henri Shiraz (South Australia) [cork, 14%]
We had two bottles of this from different cellars, the second rather rubbery/reductive and metallic, the first a bit cleaner and more open. Neither was decanted, and they converged a little as time passed. A semi-composite note follows: dark ruby colour, what little aroma that can be detected is mostly of ripe dark plums. The palate is all grapes; fleshy fruits that refuse to blossom, and powerful furry tannins. The wine seems totally sealed up and unforthcoming. I feel like Dan Brown asking to look through the Vatican’s archives. There’s minimal oak evident, a long structural (tannic) finish, but really, it’s impossible to get much out of this. I think it will be a very great wine one day, for it has plenty of stuffing, but it’ll be at least another 10 year wait to see much development.

1998 Penfolds Bin 389 Cabernet-Shiraz (South Australia) [cork, 14%]
Following all these wines is a tough ask for a humble Bin 389, but this offering from an acclaimed vintage makes a good fist of things. A clear ruby colour, it smells youthful and stuffed with liquorice, milk chocolate and ripe fruit aromas. The palate is showing a bit more development – only a touch – but offers big richly upholstered fruit, massive dusty tannins, terrific intensity of fruit flavour, with solid balance of structural components running the length of the palate. Highly impressive, although a long way from integrated, this ought to provide great drinking in another 15 years. All that said, it lacked the refinement of the next wine…

“Pass the Grange please.” If it’s difficult to think of a more enjoyable phrase to utter, as we did five wines ago, try this: “No, no, the other Grange.”
1996 Penfolds Grange Shiraz (South Australia) [cork, 14%]
I really did think this would be too closed to enjoy properly, but was proved hopelessly wrong. Impenetrable ruby colour, with plush, youthful berry/plum/spice/chocolate aromas. Only minimal secondary development, but calling it just ‘primary’ does no justice to the wonderful ensemble of the wine’s components. The oak is not overt, but swathed in rich fruit. Strong yet incredibly fine powdery tannins, a full body, velvety texture and latent acidity combine with the utmost class and finesse to produced a large-scale yet polished offering with a long, evenly balanced finish. An astonishing wine singing a glorious song; neither a screeching soprano or a hoarse alto, a ragged tenor, or a coarse baritone; no, this is a full symphonic chorus in glorious flight. Noble, majestic, seductive, inspiring, enthralling; in every sense a complete wine. Quite drinkable now, yet so clearly only fulfilling a fraction of its potential. Stunning.

1998 Wolf Blass Platinum Label Cabernet Sauvignon (Barossa) [cork, 14%]
OK, not Penfolds, not 1988. A bit of an oddity too; I think platinum label is shiraz-only nowadays. Absurdly youthful purple/ruby colour and aromas; essence of cassis and blackberry. The concept of ‘liqueur’ carries over to the palate as well – I’ve had quince paste runnier than this wine. Despite the soft acidity, the high-level dusty tannins and purity of the fruit ensure that enough freshness is maintained. Very backward and primary, but with enough richness to make it a drinkable proposition now. Quality American oak is evident but not overpowering. Full bodied and very intense; I suspect it’s a wine drunk as well now for its tour de force properties as left for another ten years. Lovely example of warm-climate cabernet that stops short of being overblown.

1985 Taylor’s Vintage Port [cork, 20.5%]
Confession time. I really have no idea how to take notes on vintage port. Especially when I only get to taste them one at a time. For what it’s worth, this garnet wine with a mahogany rim smells of liqueur cherries and bitter dark chocolate. Somewhere in a kind of off-dry spectrum with medium acid and tannins, the warm ripe palate blooms in the mouth, with sharply defined ripe cherry-like fruits, and a long lingering finish. A pleasure to taste, but I’m floundering to say something intelligible where I have so little experience. Sorry!

Another stunning night. The February and March 2008 dinners have now yielded twenty-four impeccable, cork-sealed wines. Needless to say, I fear for April…

cheers,
Graeme

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

1996 Penfolds Grange Shiraz (South Australia) [cork, 14%]
I really did think this would be too closed to enjoy properly, but was proved hopelessly wrong. Impenetrable ruby colour, with plush, youthful berry/plum/spice/chocolate aromas. Only minimal secondary development, but calling it just ‘primary’ does no justice to the wonderful ensemble of the wine’s components. The oak is not overt, but swathed in rich fruit. Strong yet incredibly fine powdery tannins, a full body, velvety texture and latent acidity combine with the utmost class and finesse to produced a large-scale yet polished offering with a long, evenly balanced finish. An astonishing wine singing a glorious song; neither a screeching soprano or a hoarse alto, a ragged tenor, or a coarse baritone; no, this is a full symphonic chorus in glorious flight. Noble, majestic, seductive, inspiring, enthralling; in every sense a complete wine. Quite drinkable now, yet so clearly only fulfilling a fraction of its potential. Stunning.

the last grange i bought, a good year to sign off on
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

Grant

Post by Grant »

Graeme,

A great dinner...the last time I tried a 707 was the 94 (in 2003), and I felt similar emotions to you on the 93...plenty of time left, but where is it going? Yet I've heard others say that the 90 and 91 are brilliant wines, I'm looking forward to tasting one that fulfils the expectations that one should have of such an expensive and lauded wine.

Cheers

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

the 98 Wolf Blass Platinum Cab is 100% Clare Valley fruit. It now goes into Annies Lane Coppertrail. That's what Chris Hatcher told me. Had it the other day. Liked it more than the 98 Platinum Shiraz. I also found it minty. I think it is 100% French oak...it just smells American...maybe because of the mint.
GW

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Gary W wrote:the 98 Wolf Blass Platinum Cab is 100% Clare Valley fruit. It now goes into Annies Lane Coppertrail. That's what Chris Hatcher told me. Had it the other day. Liked it more than the 98 Platinum Shiraz. I also found it minty. I think it is 100% French oak...it just smells American...maybe because of the mint.
GW

Wow! I examined the bottle at the dinner - curious to see if there was a region named - and sure enough, it said 'Barossa'. On the front label, too. I'll swear blind... er, no, seriously, I was not too far gone to notice that. They didn't bottle two wines, by any chance? Cabernet? Shiraz?
Actually, I was surprised to see cabernet under the platinum label at all (this was the first release, perhaps?).
I'm mighty puzzled now.
cheers,
Graeme

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Grant wrote:Graeme,

A great dinner...the last time I tried a 707 was the 94 (in 2003), and I felt similar emotions to you on the 93...plenty of time left, but where is it going? Yet I've heard others say that the 90 and 91 are brilliant wines, I'm looking forward to tasting one that fulfils the expectations that one should have of such an expensive and lauded wine.

Cheers

It's little while since I've had one, but I recalled the 94 lacking the hard streak I believe the 93 carries. It will probably be a more interesting wine in the long term.
1994 is Penfolds' great sleeper vintage of the 90s.
cheers,
Graeme

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

was the 94 (in 2003), and I felt similar emotions to you on the 93...plenty of time left, but where is it going?

had a 94 on xmas eve, lovely wine and delveloping very slowly...another 20 years
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

GraemeG wrote:
Gary W wrote:the 98 Wolf Blass Platinum Cab is 100% Clare Valley fruit. It now goes into Annies Lane Coppertrail. That's what Chris Hatcher told me. Had it the other day. Liked it more than the 98 Platinum Shiraz. I also found it minty. I think it is 100% French oak...it just smells American...maybe because of the mint.
GW

Wow! I examined the bottle at the dinner - curious to see if there was a region named - and sure enough, it said 'Barossa'. On the front label, too. I'll swear blind... er, no, seriously, I was not too far gone to notice that. They didn't bottle two wines, by any chance? Cabernet? Shiraz?
Actually, I was surprised to see cabernet under the platinum label at all (this was the first release, perhaps?).
I'm mighty puzzled now.
cheers,
Graeme

1998 was the first vintage.
There was a cabernet in 1998 and 2000 - now discontinued. It has always been Clare fruit. Full stop. It tastes strongly like Clare too. It probably said Wolf Blass of the Barossa or something.
The Platinum Shiraz was Adelaide Hills from 1998 - 2003. Then Eden/Barossa

This is from Haliday.
Wolf Blass Platinum Label Clare Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 1998 View winery
Medium to full red-purple; a scented, almost flowery bouquet with a complex array of sweet berry fruit and oak; floods the mouth with rich flavour, some savoury tannins neatly offsetting the fruit sweetness. Once again, sure handling of oak (18 months in new French). From a single 30-year-old vineyard in the Light Pass. Rating 94 Drink 2013 Date Tasted Mar 02

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Gary W wrote:
GraemeG wrote:
GW

I'm mighty puzzled now.
cheers,
Graeme

I could be corrected, but I thought the earlier ones varied according to the best fruit.

Hence I think??? could stand corrected, that 1998 was from the Barossa/Eden Valley, from the Angus vineyard in fact.

2000 was Adelaide Hills fruit, as that was the best fruit. After that, I'm not sure?
regards

Gavin Trott

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Yes. You are right with the 1998 Shiraz. It came from Hutton Vale in Eden (Angus).
2000 Clare
2001 Adelaide Hills
2002 Eden/Barossa
2003 Barossa
2004 Barossa/Eden
2005 Barossa/Eden

GW

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

PS. Whatever happened to Hutton Vale? Are they still making wines?
GW

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Gary W wrote:1998 was the first vintage.
There was a cabernet in 1998 and 2000 - now discontinued. It has always been Clare fruit. Full stop. It tastes strongly like Clare too. It probably said Wolf Blass of the Barossa or something.

This is from Haliday.
Wolf Blass Platinum Label Clare Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 1998 View winery
Medium to full red-purple; a scented, almost flowery bouquet with a complex array of sweet berry fruit and oak; floods the mouth with rich flavour, some savoury tannins neatly offsetting the fruit sweetness. Once again, sure handling of oak (18 months in new French). From a single 30-year-old vineyard in the Light Pass. Rating 94 Drink 2013 Date Tasted Mar 02

Certainly wasn't shiraz. Anyway, they can't stick the word Barossa on the front if it's Clare fruit. I'm certain the word Clare never appeared anywhere - but I only really looked at the front label, not the back. Hell, I even read the label closely enough to get the alcohol level.
OK, now I'm going to have to try and hunt this down.
Normally if I make a mistake about a region, it's because I've made an assumption based on previous vintages. With this wine, the very fact that it was Cab made me do a double take. I haven't yet reached the point where I take a camera to dinner and record all the labels. But if this keeps up, I might have to.
Graeme

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Well, I'm not going mad at least, although it only deepens the mystery:

http://www.top100wines.com/wines/showoneitem.asp?ItemID=377&Year=2002&section=top100

They must have read the same label as I did. Pity there's no photo...
cheers,
Graeme[/url]

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

It is interesting. The winemaker specifically made mention that the 1998 Platinum Cab was Clare Valley at the lunch. There must be two of them...which I don't believe to be the case. I could ask Fosters to confirm but they are currently on my shitlist..
GW

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Even more intriguingly, from the Winepros site, two pages. Two apparently different 1998 WB Platinum wines, one titled 'Clare Valley', one just plain Platinum.
Both described as "region: Barossa" - on obvious error there. Two different tasting notes. The Light Pass is in Clare, then? But it does begin to suggests there were two wines in 98...?
Here: http://www.winepros.com.au/jsp/cda/wine/wineprofile.jsp?ID=17554
and here http://www.winepros.com.au/jsp/cda/wine/wineprofile.jsp?ID=19128
The thot plickens...
Graeme

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

well there is Light Pass in the Clare and Barossa AFAIK...
GW

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

OK, here’s my take. The ‘17554’ wine, above, was the “commercial” release. 94 points from Halliday, from the Light Pass vineyard in the Barossa. The wine I tasted.

There was a second wine made – the ‘19128’ wine on the Winepros site. This is all Clare fruit (as the name suggests), cellar door only, incorrectly attributed to “Barossa” region on winepros, garnered 97 points from Halliday with a different tasting note (naturally enough) and also, being the better wine, was the wine Chris Hatcher remembered when he was talking to Gary.
Perhaps it should have been the ‘Titanium Label’. Or ‘Uranium’?

Anyway, it turns out Gary and I are both right.
Cheers all round!
Graeme

vinx

Post by vinx »

GraemeG wrote:
Grant wrote:Graeme,

Cheers

It's little while since I've had one, but I recalled the 94 lacking the hard streak I believe the 93 carries. It will probably be a more interesting wine in the long term.
1994 is Penfolds' great sleeper vintage of the 90s.
cheers,
Graeme

I am planning to open 1 or 2 bottles of this 94 grange in May for a bbq...shall i hold on to it or worth opening and try them. how long shall i decant this wine for if decided to open.

cheers,
david

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

GraemeG wrote:OK, here’s my take. The ‘17554’ wine, above, was the “commercial” release. 94 points from Halliday, from the Light Pass vineyard in the Barossa. The wine I tasted.

There was a second wine made – the ‘19128’ wine on the Winepros site. This is all Clare fruit (as the name suggests), cellar door only, incorrectly attributed to “Barossa” region on winepros, garnered 97 points from Halliday with a different tasting note (naturally enough) and also, being the better wine, was the wine Chris Hatcher remembered when he was talking to Gary.
Perhaps it should have been the ‘Titanium Label’. Or ‘Uranium’?

Anyway, it turns out Gary and I are both right.
Cheers all round!
Graeme

The second wine listed was a 2000. I am confused too..
GW

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Gary W wrote:The second wine listed was a 2000. I am confused too..
GW

D'oh! <slap>
So did Chris feed you the 98 or the 00? Wouldn't be the first time a winemaker has mixed up his vintages.
Anyone ever buy the 00 at retail, then?
Graeme

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

98 Platinum Cabernet, 98 Platinum Shiraz, 98 Black Label.
GW

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Gary W wrote:98 Platinum Cabernet, 98 Platinum Shiraz, 98 Black Label.
GW

But not is such a way that you could read the labels. Or they were museum stock labels...?
Figures!
Graeme

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

GraemeG wrote:
Gary W wrote:98 Platinum Cabernet, 98 Platinum Shiraz, 98 Black Label.
GW

But not is such a way that you could read the labels. Or they were museum stock labels...?
Figures!
Graeme

They were just poured into decanters and served to me. Exactly as it should be :)
GW

Davo

Post by Davo »

Gary W wrote:well there is Light Pass in the Clare and Barossa AFAIK...
GW

Light Pass is in the Barossa, there is no Light Pass in the Clare Valley.
Light is the regional council which extends up as far as Kapunda at least.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Just checked the label on the 99 shiraz and its Barossan. My favourite from the Platinum labels.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Craig(NZ) wrote:the last grange i bought, a good year to sign off on

Bought a Grange to share with a flatmate who also liked wine and was leaving town in late 1988. It was an early 80s vintage, just hope it wasn't an 81 - of course it was rather nondescript as far as I recall, being already a bit tanked, a bit whacked. :cry:

Coincidentally, the only Grange I have bought since then is a single bottle of 96. Except for my being diagnosed as having a terminal medical condition, the earliest it'll be opened is 2014. :wink:

daz

GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

Gary W wrote:PS. Whatever happened to Hutton Vale? Are they still making wines?
GW

http://www.huttonvale.com/default.asp
Chardonnay: A drink you have when there is no RED wine, the beer hasn't arrived and the water may be polluted