Auckland restaurant recommendations

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Bick

Post by Bick »

Dine is certainly nice.

Also consider White (the restaurant in the Hilton), and Cin Cin on Quay Street. I'm pretty sure both of these are open 7 days for dinner. I've eaten at White several times and not been disappointed. They have quite a decent wine list (including Puriri Hills).

I've only been to Cin Cin once, but it was only about 3 weeks ago, and I liked it a lot. Quite a nice wine list again. We had some decent NV champagne and a bottle of Te Mata syrah if I recall.

Most of the top venues that spring to ming are closed Sunday, you're right (i.e. French Cafe, Number 5, Cibo's, The Grove, Antoines etc). All these are definately worth trying another time though if you've not been to any.

Paradox

Re: Auckland restaurant recommendations

Post by Paradox »

rooview wrote:Currently tossing up between Dine and Mikano.

I don't like Mikano. It's not that the food is bad - although more recent meals there have not been as good as ones a few years back - its just too noisy. The inside is high and open with lots of hard surfaces and glass and 2 levels of diners and if it's busy I find it an awful place to eat due to the noise, even if the food is good.

Dine is wonderful, and much more pleasant ambience. Smaller too, tho'. The 7 course degustation menu (if available) is well worth the extra cost and samples all the best parts of the menu. I thought the food at Dine was divine when I ate there in January.

Bick's suggestions of White and Cin Cin are good. White can be a little formal and expensive but the view over the water is magnificent. Cin Cin is always good, as is Harbourside Restaurant next door.

The Viaduct and Princes Wharf places tend to be open Sundays. Soul Bar is popular but never quite as good as I think it should be, and Euro used to be fabulous and is getting back there after a rough patch. Both are open Sundays.

A couple of different options. Orbit at the top of Sky Tower. You get a free ride up Sky Tower (fun) and the restaurant revolves round so you see all of Auckland. Go early for a drink. And Hammerheads in Okahu Bay has pretty good seafood and a nice vista.

Cheers
Rob

Adair

Post by Adair »

Looks as if my suggestion is closed Sunday, per Bick: Number 5 Restaurant in City Street, Auckland CBD. Excellent food and wine... at least it was 2 years ago.

My experience was that the owner of the restaurant is a serious wine lover who, after understanding that you have a serious interest in wine, will try to impress you with some of New Zealand's greatest wines: 2005 Lamont Pinot Gris, 2004 Milton Te Arai Vineyard Chenin Blanc, 2005 La Strada Riesling Spatlese, 2000 Kingsley Merlot - to name a few, all great wines of their style... plus the fact that the place has been rated equivalent to "one hat in Sydney or Melbourne" by the Auckland equivalent newspaper. Details were: 5 City Road, Auckland: +64 9 309 9273.

Great memory though.

Adair
Wine is bottled poetry.

Wycroft

Post by Wycroft »

French Cafe in Symonds St; it doesn't get any better.

Bick

Post by Bick »

Wycroft wrote:French Cafe in Symonds St; it doesn't get any better.

Closed on Sundays and Mondays.

Wycroft

Post by Wycroft »

Oops, sorry, obviously didn't read the thread carefully enough.

SueNZ

Re: Auckland restaurant recommendations

Post by SueNZ »

Paradox wrote:
rooview wrote:Currently tossing up between Dine and Mikano.

I don't like Mikano. It's not that the food is bad - although more recent meals there have not been as good as ones a few years back - its just too noisy.

I dislike Mikano for the same reasons. Even noiser when a helicopter lands. They had a pretty scathing review in the Herald last week too.

rooview wrote:Thanks for the suggestions all. Decided to give White a go. Hopefully the views won't be the best thing

I'd go there if I could afford it. Hopefully it will live up to its excellent reputation. It's magic on a good day, so long as a crusie ship is not parked up beside it.