Wine Regions to Visit in central/south of NZ's North Island

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Duras

Wine Regions to Visit in central/south of NZ's North Island

Post by Duras »

Can any forumites give me some pointers on the following...
    best option for cellar doors to visit in Hawke's Bay area,
    ditto north of Wellington (Martinborough?).
    good restaurants
    accommodation in HB region near the wineries.
...or provide the links to any previous topics on this subject?

Thanks

PS

KMP

Post by KMP »

You can see the list of wineries in various parts of NZ here.

See Hawkes Bay WInegrowers site here. In Hawkes Bay we stayed in Havelock North after one night in Napier. We visited Te Mata, Seleni, Stonecroft, Unison, Vidal, Trinity Hill, and Te Awa. I'd add Bridge Pa and CJ Pask to the list. And I'm sure Craig and Sue will have suggestions as well.

In Martinborough we stayed at the Pinot Villas, and I highly recommend them. Many wineries are only open on the weekend here. We did Ata Rangi, Schubert (just tasted a couple of very nice wines from them), Te Kairanga, Martinborough Vineyards. We also had a great tasting at Burings of Martinborough. Chris Buring is the nephew of Leo Buring and has a consultant wine business and B&B in town. We tried for Margrain and Escarpment as well but never could hook up with the principals at a mutually agreeable time.

For local details link to Martinborough here

Make a few calls or send some emails, hire a car, and you should have a great time. We certainly did.

Mike

Some NZ Impressions

Maximus

Re: Wine Regions to Visit in central/south of NZ's North Isl

Post by Maximus »

Duras wrote:Can any forumites give me some pointers on the following...
    best option for cellar doors to visit in Hawke's Bay area,
    ditto north of Wellington (Martinborough?).
    good restaurants
    accommodation in HB region near the wineries.
...or provide the links to any previous topics on this subject?

Thanks

PS

Hook up with Warren Gibson from Trinity Hill and Bilancia (Hawkes Bay) - great, down-to-earth bloke. His La Collina Syrah is New Zealand's best example of this variety. Alan Limmer at Stonecroft would also be worth having a chat with, and of course checking out Te Mata and Craggy Range cellar doors is a no-brainer. I'd base myself out of Havelock North for Hawkes Bay accommodation - just do a web search and you'll come up with some options (I've stayed in several different places there and they've all been fine). Ata Rangi cellar door is well worth visiting in Martinborough too. If you need introductions, or would like some specific details, just PM. When will you be over here?

cheers,
Max
-----
Avant d’être bon, un vin doit être vrai

Matthew Moate

Post by Matthew Moate »

Yep, Trinity Hill and Mission Estate would be the best picks for me in Hawkes Bay. Matt

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

te mata and craggy range are must visits

C
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

Glen

Post by Glen »

I would also suggest Clearview Estate at Te Awanga, great lunch.

I stayed at Havelock North a couple of weeks ago, at a tuscan looking motel on the main road called Harvest Lodge, very large clean modern rooms with spa bath for $120pn. Great value we thought for a 5*.

In addition to what the others have already mentioned, I would also suggest the following for some some superb wines and possibly more:-

Esk Valley

Sileni - fantastic gift room

Ngatarawa

Te Awa

Beside Te Mata is the local cheese factory, worth a look, and be sure not to miss out on driving up Te Mata peak for a view worth a thousand sighs.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

i would second clearview for a summers day lunch. brilliant and well priced.

if you want up market craggy's terrior restaurant is faultless but expect to pay for the experience.
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

Duras

Post by Duras »

Visiting with friends - in NZ from 15/3 to 29/3. Will be in Hawke's Bay area probably about over Easter sometime, although if thats too busy we might get there for a night on Wed/Thu, 19-20/3.

Thanks to all for the responses.

PS

Duras

Post by Duras »

Well, back from NZ but managed to get to only about 8 cellar doors. Quite a few were closed with all hands in the vineyards picking.

Picked up some Black Barn and Te Mata in Hawke's Bay and Ata Rangi and Martinborough in Wairarapa. All were very friendly and helpful and when discovering we were visiting from Aus most waived the tasting charge.

Its a long time since I toured the North Island and it was an eyeopener. Pretty little towns, friendly people, great coffee (everywhere).

PS