wine to drink now

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Dom

wine to drink now

Post by Dom »

Hi,
I am new here and hope you can help. I have been into australian wine for quite a while nand fond of Shiraz . Does anyone know of a good non expensive shiraz which is drinkable now? thanks

Daryl Douglas

Re: wine to drink now

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Dom wrote:Hi,
I am new here and hope you can help. I have been into australian wine for quite a while nand fond of Shiraz . Does anyone know of a good non expensive shiraz which is drinkable now? thanks

Hello Dom, and welcome

Expensiveness of wine is relative to one's own income and the price level one considers acceptable for the wine/s being considered for purchase.

For example, I'll happily pay $15-16 for St Hallett Faith Shiraz or $13-15 for Taylors Shiraz but tend to look at other wines that appeal and are discounted to around that price bracket when the aforementioned wines are priced around $18-19.

What's the price bracket you're considering?

Cheers

daz

Dom

Post by Dom »

Thanks for the reply Daz, I was expecting to pay around the $15-$20 Mark.
The most I would go for a bottle of wine would be $25. Thanks for the suggestion.

drlev

Post by drlev »

Pirathon Shiraz 2005 by Kalleske - available at Nick's for about $22 and ready to drink now (with decanting, of course).

Cheers, Lev

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Dom wrote:Thanks for the reply Daz, I was expecting to pay around the $15-$20 Mark.
The most I would go for a bottle of wine would be $25. Thanks for the suggestion.

For approx $25 Kaesler Stonehorse is well worth trying. It has been available for about $17-18 - a cracker at that price level.

Around $17-22 Pepperjack, Thorne-Clark Shotfire Ridge, Teusner Riebke, Tahbilk, O'Leary Walker, D'Arenberg Footbolt are also worth a look. I haven't tried the Zema Estate Shiraz but their cab sauv is excellent for about $20-$23.

Jacobs Creek Reserve Shiraz 2004 seems to be well-regarded for as little as $12-$15. Longhop Shiraz 2007 to be released in April (I think) should be worth waiting for - the 2006 was a bargain for $15, even better value at $13/doz direct from the winery.

Mike Press is also very good value for about $12 (incl freight) from the winery. I should try the current Ingoldby release @ $12-13 but haven't yet. James Halliday rated the 2004 90/100.

Just a few more for you to think about, Dom. There is a lot of variation in styles there too. I'm sure others here can add to the list :)

Cheers

daz

Dom

Post by Dom »

Hi Daz,
I appreciate your succinct response. I will give these a try and let you know what I think. I forgot to mention that my preference was for the full bodied on the palate, deep &dark purple Shiraz and very smooth finish.
Thanks and cheers
Dom

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Hi Dom,

This site is run by a retailer, and he has an under $20 section that includes a couple of shiraz:

http://www.auswine.com.au/page.asp?PageID=93756

I'm sure Gavin would help you out, depending on where you are and the quantities you're looking for.

My favourite shiraz under $20 is Tahbilk ( I dont think Gavin usually stocks that),

cheers
Andrew

redwino

Post by redwino »

Gemtree Uncut shiraz 2006 - a great wine at a great price

Dom

Post by Dom »

thanks all for your responses and suggestions, much appreciated. By the way I reside in Camden, 45 kms out of Sydney,NSW.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

redwino wrote:Gemtree Uncut shiraz 2006 - a great wine at a great price

Yep, I meant to include this one - remembered it after I'd submitted my 2nd post but didn't bother to edit as I anticipated someone would mention it. Can be found for $17-$20.

daz

Daniel Jess

Post by Daniel Jess »

May be hard to find - but look for Bendbrook Goat Track Shiraz 2005. It's from Macclesfield in SA - a pretty tasty blend and very South Austn in character.

winetastic

Post by winetastic »

You would be hard pressed to find a wine that matches your criteria better than the Lazy Ballerina Shiraz, its a steal at around $20 per bottle.