TWA#179???

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Deano

TWA#179???

Post by Deano »

It must be getting close for the release of Part 1, Parker/Miller Points...late October rings a bell. I don't subscribe, but do any forumers have a heads up?
Cheers

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

I spoke to Bob's offsiders earlier this month and they were aiming for the 29th. Obviously the Aussie wines are going to be a big part of the content. Will be interesting to see how Jay Miller's ratings are received. He certainly caused a storm with his Spanish ratings

KMP

Post by KMP »

Its going to be TWA #173 which is out (later) today (electronic) and apparently already being received by some in the print format.

Link to eBob thread. Apparently the largest issue of TWA thus far. The print version is 116 pages!

The print and electronic versions will include Jay Miller's coverage of Australia -- 1,144 reviews and the electronic version Australia, Still Hot -- 322 reviews as part of the overflow issue.

Mike

EDIT: TWA #167 and #168 included about 930 reviews of Aussie wine, so the 1,466 reviews by Jay Miller is a big increase but it will depend on how many wines he actually tasted. We never get that number (as far as I can tell) but Parker has stated before that only about 30% of the wines he tastes are recommended. (If a wine gets a review that equals a recommendation.) Miller may be more generous than 30%!

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Parker scores are online now.....

tpang

Post by tpang »

Pretty fair assessment for the majority by Jay Miller.. Although it struck me that the 'R Wines' portfolio was rather over-represented.. Thought the Kay Bros Block 6 2005 deserved a touch more, ditto the 05 Johann Georg.. Greenock creek did well by their high-standards, but it'll be more interesting to see how their latest releases score next year. Dan Standish will probably be disappointed, but Damien Tscharke should be pleased.

tonsta

Post by tonsta »

There were whispers a while back that the 2004 GC Creek Block Shiraz got 100pts. Can anyone confirm this?

I had it a couple of weeks back and it was lovely.

Tony

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

tonsta wrote:There were whispers a while back that the 2004 GC Creek Block Shiraz got 100pts. Can anyone confirm this?

Tony

99 Points .... not many 100 pointers at all....three from memory

KMP

Post by KMP »

KMP wrote:Its going to be TWA #173 which is out (later) today (electronic) and apparently already being received by some in the print format.

Link to eBob thread. Apparently the largest issue of TWA thus far. The print version is 116 pages!

The print and electronic versions will include Jay Miller's coverage of Australia -- 1,144 reviews and the electronic version Australia, Still Hot -- 322 reviews as part of the overflow issue.

Mike

EDIT: TWA #167 and #168 included about 930 reviews of Aussie wine, so the 1,466 reviews by Jay Miller is a big increase but it will depend on how many wines he actually tasted. We never get that number (as far as I can tell) but Parker has stated before that only about 30% of the wines he tastes are recommended. (If a wine gets a review that equals a recommendation.) Miller may be more generous than 30%!

FURTHER EDIT. The previous numbers were from the eRPSupport thread, which can get things screwed up. The online material shows 792 wines in TWA#173 and 322 as overflow - that makes up 1,114 total by my math.

KMP

Post by KMP »

DaveB wrote:
tonsta wrote:There were whispers a while back that the 2004 GC Creek Block Shiraz got 100pts. Can anyone confirm this?

Tony

99 Points .... not many 100 pointers at all....three from memory

Potentially 4 at 100 points with one at (99-100) - two are Chambers fortifieds. Wines that received 95 or better (not counting wines given scores in brackets) total 94. Looks pretty consistent with what Parker might have given. You could argue there are some exceptions but the same names are there that RP has supported in the past.

Mike

tonsta

Post by tonsta »

Cheers DaveB!

KMP

Post by KMP »

tpang wrote:Pretty fair assessment for the majority by Jay Miller.. Although it struck me that the 'R Wines' portfolio was rather over-represented.. Thought the Kay Bros Block 6 2005 deserved a touch more, ditto the 05 Johann Georg.. Greenock creek did well by their high-standards, but it'll be more interesting to see how their latest releases score next year. Dan Standish will probably be disappointed, but Damien Tscharke should be pleased.

R wines is the new Dan Philips (Grateful Palate) venture (with several Aussie winmakers including Chris Ringland). 31 wines and even the Roses score 88 or better!

Mike
Last edited by KMP on Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

KMP wrote:
tpang wrote:Pretty fair assessment for the majority by Jay Miller.. Although it struck me that the 'R Wines' portfolio was rather over-represented.. Thought the Kay Bros Block 6 2005 deserved a touch more, ditto the 05 Johann Georg.. Greenock creek did well by their high-standards, but it'll be more interesting to see how their latest releases score next year. Dan Standish will probably be disappointed, but Damien Tscharke should be pleased.

R wines is the new Dan Philips (Grateful Palate) venture (with several Aussie winmakers including Chris Ringland). 31 wines and even the Roses score 88 or better!

Mike

Not to mention that (99-100) jobbie at $1000 a bottle :shock:

KMP

Post by KMP »

DaveB wrote:
KMP wrote:

Mike

Not to mention that (99-100) jobbie at $1000 a bottle :shock:

Apparently there are only 500 bottles. Sounds like a real bargain to me! :roll:

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

I tend to like the wines he scores around 89 - They would be my top wines. Marius, 05 Cullen DM etc. The ones that are 98 are probably my 89 point ones :)
GW

paulsa

Post by paulsa »

Can anyone advise of the Greenock Creek & Noon wine scores?
THX in advance.

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

paulsa wrote:Can anyone advise of the Greenock Creek & Noon wine scores?
THX in advance.

Greenocks ranged from 93-99 Points
Noon from 95-99

Andre

Post by Andre »

3 wines at 100
11 wines at 99
13 wines at 98
16 wines at 97
24 wines at 96
595 wines at 90 to 95
236 wines at 88 to 89
207 wines at 85 to 87
9 wines at 82 to 84

Impressive. :shock:

tonsta

Post by tonsta »

Andre wrote:3 wines at 100
11 wines at 99
13 wines at 98
16 wines at 97
24 wines at 96
595 wines at 90 to 95
236 wines at 88 to 89
207 wines at 85 to 87
9 wines at 82 to 84

Impressive. :shock:

:shock: That's a lot of wines at or above 90! (60%) :shock:

tonsta

Post by tonsta »

tpang wrote:Thought the Kay Bros Block 6 2005 deserved a touch more, ditto the 05 Johann Georg.

What did these two score???

Tony

tpang

Post by tpang »

tonsta wrote:
tpang wrote:Thought the Kay Bros Block 6 2005 deserved a touch more, ditto the 05 Johann Georg.

What did these two score???

Tony

97 for the Block 6 and 96 for the JohannG

tpang

Post by tpang »

Gary W wrote:I tend to like the wines he scores around 89 - They would be my top wines. Marius, 05 Cullen DM etc. The ones that are 98 are probably my 89 point ones :)
GW

Gary, which 98s do u think were 'over-rated' so to speak? I was close to JM on the Cullen DM (i gave it a 92).. from the ones below 90, I think he got the Kay Bros CS wrong, that got 85, (RP gave it 91 previously) and the Massena Howling Dog Durif surely wasn't that aweful (83-86)?

paulsa

Post by paulsa »

Would anyone be kind enough to advise which wines were given the 100 & 99 points? THX in advance.

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Baffling! Some American whom no one here has ever met has posted a bunch of scores on Australian wines, and everyone's agog. I can't figure out whether people are trying to justify a past purchasing decision or see how much potential profit they might have made if they flog their wines at auction.
Surely many of these wines will have received erudite(!) discussions here, or on wine*, or one of the local blogs - or even the usual local wine media - by people whose notes you've read for a ages, and whose style preferences and biases you understand. It's even possible the ever-reliable CraigNZ has given the wine a score out of 109, in addition to a note.
What could you possibly learn from this Miller character?
cheers,
Graeme

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

paulsa wrote:Would anyone be kind enough to advise which wines were given the 100 & 99 points? THX in advance.

http://www.erobertparker.com

:D

TORB

Post by TORB »

Gavin (and you guys) have to be careful here. If you post a heap of scores it could be seen as a copyright violation.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

TORB

Post by TORB »

GraemeG wrote:What could you possibly learn from this Miller character?

GG,

Good question, here is the answer! Langmeil make an easy drinking tank Shiraz and Cab – both called Earthworks – sell for 10 bucks. They both scored more than the Valley Floor, Hanging Snakes and Blacksmith.

So I have just learnt that the Earthworks are better wines. :wink:
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

TORB wrote:Gavin (and you guys) have to be careful here. If you post a heap of scores it could be seen as a copyright violation.

Agreed

I've been watching carefully, so please do not post scores and reviews here in number please.

All are available from the Parker site, you do need to subscribe however.
regards

Gavin Trott

paulsa

Post by paulsa »

Hi Torb, I'm curious what would be the (legal) difference between someone posting parkers wine scores on this forum and a retailer posting parkers scores (as many do) on an online shop? unless retailers can specifically get a subscription enabling them to post scores.

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

paulsa wrote:Hi Torb, I'm curious what would be the (legal) difference between someone posting parkers wine scores on this forum and a retailer posting parkers scores (as many do) on an online shop? unless retailers can specifically get a subscription enabling them to post scores.

Retailers have permission to use them

provided we copy them accurately, and, clearly state where the review is from.

Indeed, we have such permission from Winefront, and Torbwine the same way.
regards

Gavin Trott

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Aussie retailers are obviously very polite. My stuff occassionally gets ripped onto NZ retailers websites (desperate!!???!!) without permission or even credit. :roll:

I thought about it for a while but then decided not to care.

It's even possible the ever-reliable CraigNZ has given the wine a score out of 109, in addition to a note.

I wish I had a few sad arse nothing better to do readers that would add up the number of 105-109 point wines I dish out then do some professor X corrolation analysis and calculate forecast coefficients based on number of letters in the winery name. :lol:

If someone did that then everyone would know which wines to like!
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson