W.A WINE CROPS DESTROYED BY HAIL???

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
monkeyboy

W.A WINE CROPS DESTROYED BY HAIL???

Post by monkeyboy »

Hi people,

Not sure whether any one can confirm(or deny) this news, but this morning I saw on one of the channels(9 I think), the news ticker had a headline that western australian wine crops had been destroyed by hail?

I've been searching an update on this story, but have yet to find a story to verify this. Can anyone on the know verify or comment on this?

Thanks

cheers

Ant
Currently drinking -

griff

Post by griff »

Doesn't look like it to me:

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDW60801 ... 4601.shtml

Hail is usually a local event and WA is pretty big. The observations above is the closest I could find to Margaret River.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

We had some isolated hail in Perth the other day, but that is all I know.

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Apparently up to 60% of some blocks in the Wilyabrup sub-region were trashed according to one grower although damage was patchy and some vineyards were spared.....sounds nasty

Dave Dewhurst

Post by Dave Dewhurst »

There's an article about it on the front page of The West Australian but I can't find it online unfortunately.

Cheers

Dave

Nayan

Post by Nayan »

There is a post giving more information about this in "The Other House".

L plater

Post by L plater »

My wife and I were in the area ( on Caves Rd dunsborough side) over the weekend and on Friday night it hailed long and hard - some small dents on the roof of the car.

Despite this had some great tastings at Windance, Flying Fish Cove and Gralyn. Sadly Woodlands had very little available to taste.

monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Thought I'd post this news that I picked up from the other wine* forum(hope this is ok). Doesn't sound too good for some -

Bit of an update

Friends of ours were slammed by the hail and they were located near Wildwood Rd in the northern half of Wilyabrup - they may have lost 60-70%. Others around them include Clairault and Amberley have had similar or worse damage, let alone the growers which supply wineries such as Leeuwin Estate and Vasse Felix.

It appears there was a distinct band of very damaging hail and even the red gums were stripped of leaves as they drove to their block. Also there is news of a similar storm going through Karridale so I'm assuming Alexander Bridge and Three Hills may have taken a hit. Very disheartening and we are quite upset for our friends who have taken this damage.

Cheers

Mark G
Currently drinking -