a good Australian wine

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Anonymous

a good Australian wine

Post by Anonymous »

hi everyone,

i really hope someone/anyone can help me with this.
i am really clueless about wine

but i wanted to buy a wine for my husband parents, i'm not sure if they are a wine collector but i know that they definitely love wine.
So i thought the best present for them would be an australian wine (my husband family is from german)

Now,
what is a good wine? I'm thinking red wine types.
In terms of prices, i really wouldnt mind something between 50-250
please help me...

Ian S

Re: a good Australian wine

Post by Ian S »

kreature wrote:hi everyone,

i really hope someone/anyone can help me with this.
i am really clueless about wine

but i wanted to buy a wine for my husband parents, i'm not sure if they are a wine collector but i know that they definitely love wine.
So i thought the best present for them would be an australian wine (my husband family is from german)

Now,
what is a good wine? I'm thinking red wine types.
In terms of prices, i really wouldnt mind something between 50-250
please help me...

Buying wine for someone else is difficult, but some idea of tastes would be useful. Getting an idea of their normal price range would help (i.e. if they buy $20-$30 bottles, then a $50 bottle might be a good step up). Maybe you could sneak a look at their empties and see what they normally drink (which would be a great help).

Do they drink dessert wines or ports / fortified? If they do, then maybe a 'Grand' level Tokay(Muscadelle) or Muscat (or even a 'Rare' level one) might be a special experience. Maybe a good vintage port (maybe a 1985?).

regards

Ian

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Depends on whether it's a drink-now wine or one they'd be prepared to cellar for up to 10 years.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi Daryl, i think maybe more of a drink now wine. If you can suggest something.

And Hi to Ian too, sorry i'm not sure what they have in their cellar, i mean i obviously can't tell the difference between wine A or B but i have a feeling its around the 20-50 dollar price range wine that they drink in average. And something more 'interesting' when there's a dinner of some sort.

About taste, i really have no clue but i did recall that they didn't like something too sweet. I know one of the Brown Brothers white is a really sweet wine and it didn't go particularly well for them.

I'm not sure about port. Would it be more classy to give port instead?

I didn't want to give a wine that is too expensive because i didn't want it to look like i was 'trying too hard', but i also don't want to give an impression that i'm trying to give them cheap wine either. You know how 'in laws' are.

:)

Edit: i also heard about this Penfold wine thing. Would you recommend that too?

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

It would be difficult to go wrong with a good shiraz:

-Mitolo Jester Shiraz(McLarenvale) is usually a ready to drink wine for $25-$30, regardless of vintage, fruity but not too sweet. 2004 or 2005 should be fine.
-Tin Shed Melting Pot Shiraz 2004 is very nice, a bit savoury but with good fruit/acid balance, some floral notes and not too oaky. Not sure about the regular price (I paid $16 on discount) but should be no more than $25.
-Wolf Blass Grey Label Shiraz (McLarenvale) 2004 is pretty good for about $40.
-Turkey Flat Shiraz(Barossa) is great value for about $40, always excellent even when young but haven't tried any recent vintages.
-Teusner Joshua Grenache/Mataro/Shiraz 2005 is excellent, a bit different because it's unoaked.

If it has to be cabernet sauvignon, think mostly Coonawarra 2004 or 2005.
-Zema Estate Family Selection 2004 ($40) - have a few, haven't tried it but it's had excellent reviews and the $20 regular version 2004 I have tried is very good.
-Balnaves and Majella 2004 have had excellent reviews, around $30 but haven't tried them..
-Polleters 2004 (Pyrenees) $25, is as good as any Oz cabernet I've tried.

There really are so many good Australian red wines in the $20-$50 range that I'm sure you'll be swamped by the recommendations yet to come. Of the wines I've listed, the Tin Shed, Teusner and Polleters I can recommend with total confidence that any wine buff would be quite content to drink them.

Cheers

daz

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

kreature wrote:You know how 'in laws' are.
:)

Oh yes (but I can't say in case they're reading this!)

To be honest, there should be a good range whereby they can see you've made an effort, up to the point where the present is uncomfortably expensive. I'm guessing $50-$125 should be a safe hunting ground (and getting a couple of $50 wines might be a good way to hedge your bets).

How about a good shiraz (see other suggestions here), plus a decent fortified wine (Seppelts range is pretty reliable)?

Best of luck (and don't forget to check out Gavin - the forum owners wine website - in the top left hand corner of the screen). He's too shy to suggest it himself!

regards

Ian

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

A good recommendation might be the 04 Wynns John Riddoch. It should be readily available. It's priced anywhere between $55 and $90 depneding on where you buy and how much and whether it's on special but all these are well within your price range. If they drink it straight aay, it is quite approachable now and will drink very well but has the structure to last forever so they could cellar it just as easily. It's a good expample of Australian wine with a decent heritage too. Ticks a few boxes.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

fivewells

Post by fivewells »

Well ... an interesting question :D

To get an idea of the most sought after wines in Australia

See: http://www.langtons.com.au/Wine/ClassificationView.aspx - you will then see the names and styles of wines.

Then to find where to buy and the prices:

See: www.winesearcher.com - there is a free version and all you need is the name of your wine and the year (and the country you want to buy it in ) and it will find best price. There is a professional version (paid - well worth it) where many more stores are accessed. Its amazing the price variation across Australia

Now good years for Australian - 1996, 1998, 2002, 2004

Hope this is some help

Regards Geoff .... in Sydney

Julio G

Post by Julio G »

A 2001 Cullen Diana Madeline fits the bill perfectly. Having said that you probably shouldn't touch it for another 5 years. It is a truly great Australian wine.

Dr - 307

Post by Dr - 307 »

Agree with Julio, the 2001 Cullen is an excellent wine.
And as far as Turkey Flat Shiraz is concerned, this is also a safe bet. I have never heard a bad thing said about the brand. A classic at $40 dollars that is made from old vines that should be selling for much much more.
Actually, I'd go the 2004 Turkey Flat Shiraz.

And for whites I'd get a Shaw & Smith M3 Chardonnay.

If you did want to splurge I would recommend the 2004 Torbreck Run Rig. Made from 160 year old vines and full of pure class. It is by far the best wine I have ever tasted BUT retails for $225. If they really know their wines they will love you forever. I they don't then it will be a waste.

So,
Red = Turkey Flat
White = M3 Chardonnay
Splurge = Run Rig.

Cheers,
Dr- 307. :wink:
"No need to over-analyse. Good tish is good tish!" - Dr 307.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Geoff, your vintages work for the Barossa, but you miss the best ones in Margaret River (99, 01) and other regions such as the Hunter (love 00 reds).

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

How about the Gemtree Obsidian shiraz?