Come in good peoples, it's Sunday.....

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TORB

Come in good peoples, it's Sunday.....

Post by TORB »

Hi Good Peoples,

It's that time of the week again; tasting notes, vibes or impressions welcome. Tell us what you have been drinking please.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Just one for me this weekend.

Simon Hackett Old Vine Grenache 2004 McLaren Vale
Actually very mildly corked but this didn't detract too much and obviously I wasn't very fussy. Fairly simple, confectionary Grenache flavours, strawberries, a hint of the savoury and a lick of fuzzy background oak. Pretty by-the-numbers stuff and all the more enjoyable for it.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Ric
Up in the middle of the night again I see. The only time you get peace and quiet?

For us fairly quiet:
1995 Paveil de Luze, Margaux, Bordeaux - was a little overdone on the tobacco, but still quite youthful fruit. It drinks very well once you get past the tobacco.

Earlier in the week
1997 Leone di Castris, Salice Salentino Riserva, Puglia, Italy - Also far from running out of steam. The nose was a touch volatile, but not unusual for the region. Classy for the price.

regards

Ian

Attila

Post by Attila »

MOUNT PLEASANT "Cellar Release" Elizabeth Semillon 2002-Hunter Valley

Bought it for $11 but I don't consider it a bargain anymore. Nice lemony nose, fine dry palate with some liveliness but it is a mass produced quite diluted dry white, no more. The excitement fades after the second glass. (For some, after the first) Old fashioned too, there are much better whites out there for under $20. The 1999 Elizabeth was the last vintage with real quality.

Cheers,
Attila
"(Wine) information is only as valuable as its source" DB

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Rosemount 2000 Show Reserve Coonawarra Cabernet Suvignon. Have always been impressed with this wine although recent vintages have been well below best as have most recent Rosemounts. Just a lovely wine displaying all those typical Coonawarra flavours and with still a few years to reach its peak. Threw a huge crust with still lively but in control tannins.

Interesetingly one of the big supermarket sellers had current vintages of this and the Traditional below $16.00 which is still too high for such ordinary wines. Southcorp was sold a dud with this label.

Chuck
Last edited by Chuck on Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

pstarr

Post by pstarr »

Laurent-Perrier Brut L-P, NV (Champagne), 12%, cork.
- Reasonable bubbles, good acid, crisp finish, light yeast and brioche characters. Good aperitif.

Tahbilk Marsanne 2004, (Nagambie Lakes), 13%, cork.
- I don't quite trust aging marsanne under cork (I've a 1996 with a scary colour I can't bring myself to open), but this first of 6 is coming along nicely. Still clear and primary, but with development of honeysuckle and texture starting to show. Went well with a Spanish marinade for organic chicken thigh fillets (skin on, on the bone) cooked on the bbq.

Valminor Albarino 2003, (Rias Baixas), 12.5%, cork.
- My good cork run continues. This was very good for older albarino, starting to show a bit of waxiness, but still a pretty nose, stable colour, good acid balance and retains a hint of spritz. I have two more, I think, of the 2003s, and will have them this year and next, to see how they travel.

Windowrie Family Reserve Chardonnay 2001, (Cowra), 12.5%, cork.
- Certainly the oldest Cowra chardonnay I've had, this still had legs. The oak just had the upper hand over the developed fruit, but there was still enough acid to carry the wine. A surprise for me.

Meeting Place Viognier 2004, (Canberra), 13.5%, screwcap.
- An excellent bottle of this very credible viognier. Spice, ginger, lychee and apricot, great palate weight and finishes clean, without any hint of over-extraction. A case of this was an excellent buy at about $12 a bottle.

Lillydale Estate Chardonnay 2005, (Yarra Valley), 13.5%, screwcap.
- Travelling very nicely, integration of fruit and oak going well. Lovely Yarra chardonnay this, and great value at under $20 a bottle.

Pfeiffer Marsanne 2002, (Rutherglen), 14%, cork.
- Another good luck cork story, as I've had corked bottles of this before. Definitely at the fatter end of the marsanne spectrum, but pretty much gets it right. I think I have one more, and it is a drink up wine.

Charles Melton Nine Popes Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre 1996, (Barossa), 14.5%, cork.
- A good Nine Popes bottle, though my last of this vintage seemed to have a little more complexity and development. This bottle seemed very bright and fresh, almost needing more acid-integration time. A very good cork must have helped, with only about 2mm of soaking. This is one of my favourite Nine Popes vintages, but I think this was my last bottle.

Rymill Shiraz 1995 (Coonawarra), 13.8%, cork.
- Brought out to accompany the Nine Popes, and a bit outclassed. Still shaped up as a decent dinner claret style of shiraz, with good aged notes, and drank well the second day.

Beronia Mazuelo 1996 (Rioja), 13%, cork.
- Slowly making my way through half a dozen of these older straight mazuelo/carinena/carignan bottles. Smooth, nice tannins, still good acid, a bit of leather - interesting wine. Three to go, I think.

McWilliams Barwang Cabernet Sauvignon 2002 (Hilltops), 14%, cork.
- I still don't quite know when to drink these wines, and may have come at this one too soon. It seemed to have the legs to go on for longer, but was a bit ho-hum at the moment.

Brokenwood Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot 1999 (McLaren Vale, King Valley), 13.5%, cork.
- Not well stored, but has travelled very well. Good, tempered cabernet characters, tobacco leaf but not too herbal. Still looked bright, with a good balance of primary fruit and some secondary characters. I wish I had more, as this had quite a bit of life still to go.

Tahbilk Cabernet Franc 2006 (Nagambie Lakes), 13%, screwcap.
- I prefer the 2004 vintage to this one, but it is a quite OK straight cabernet franc, with the structure for at least a few years of good development. Lacks a little stuffing, but good value.

Kay Brothers Amery Shiraz 2004 (McLaren Vale), 14%, screwcap.
- I'd not got around to opening any of my case of Kay's releases from last year, but the new mailer reminded me of the good things I'd heard about their 2004s. This was lovely, with no heat, great fruit weight, and well-judged support from oak and acid. Nice tannins and finishes well. There is still some of this available, and I'm tempted to get more with my 2005s order.

Glaymond Wines el abuelo Tempranillo 2002 (Barossa Valley), 14.9%, cork.
- Another good cork, and a suprising wine (best bottle of this that I've had). No evident heat, even at 14.9% abv, and drank well over three days. Some more evidence suggesting that some Australian tempranillo (even from younger vines) drinks better with a bit of bottle age.

Mike Press Wines Adelaide Hills Pinot Noir 2004 (Adelaide Hills), 13%, screwcap.
- Astounding value at less than $7 a bottle by the case, and credible quaffing pinot. The nose is largely missing in action, but it is spritely through the mouth and goes well with food.
Paul.

TORB

Post by TORB »

Attila,

Firstly my congratulations on the bub. And it's even better that she doesn't look anything like you. :P

The place hasn't been the same without the "Mad Hungarian," I'm glad you back to posting.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

Been to Rutherglen, and visiting relatives in the bush. Their crops have just died. 2nd year in a row. So, we drank some good wines.

98 389 Very good. Has some grippy tannins
05 Old Faithful Cafe Block Shiraz (Won recent Winestate 600 shiraz tasting) Good wine, complex, spicy, balanced.
05 Bullers Valerie Mondeuse Huge wine, rich, sweet,ripe, I liked
06 Bullers Valerie Shiraz Viognier Good wine, as above.
99 Anderson Sparkling Shiraz. Terrific wine, complex,I need to buy more
00 Tyrrells Vat 1 Semillon still young, some acid.
98 Turkey Flat Shiraz drinking really well now. Good wine
04 Pennys Hill Red Dot Shiraz Good, was hoping for more
02 Magpie Election Shiraz fantastic. rich, balanced,
04 Kaesler Stonehorse Shiraz Good. early drinker.
02 Tyrrells Rufus Stone Heathcote Shiraz. Very good. expected more mint
05 Wayne Thomas Shiraz brilliant.
00 Rockford Cab very good. better than I expected
02 Charlie Melton Cab drinking well now. good
05 Lazy Ballerina Shiraz something wrong? 2 bottles opened
01 Turkey Flat Cab Very good. I should buy this every year
98 d'Arenberg Coppermine Rd Cab Big wine. Tannic, chewy,lots of fruit,needs time.
01 Tattachilla Foundation Very good.
96 E&E Sparkling Shiraz Overoaked.
95 and 96 and 98 Seppelt Original Sparkling Burgundy All Really enjoyable
04 Schild Estate Shiraz Dont know how this got 96 in WS. Simple.

Bruce
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

Chrisp

Post by Chrisp »

Shadowfax 2002 Shiraz McLaren Vale/Barossa - bought a dozen on spec. OK and nothing wrong with it but not particularly interesting.

Wirra Wirra Church Block 2002 Mc Laren Vale - drinking nicely and for me a well above average quaffer, and remembering that fence always makes me smile.

griff

Post by griff »

Brucer wrote:Been to Rutherglen, and visiting relatives in the bush. Their crops have just died. 2nd year in a row. So, we drank some good wines.

98 389 Very good. Has some grippy tannins
05 Old Faithful Cafe Block Shiraz (Won recent Winestate 600 shiraz tasting) Good wine, complex, spicy, balanced.
05 Bullers Valerie Mondeuse Huge wine, rich, sweet,ripe, I liked
06 Bullers Valerie Shiraz Viognier Good wine, as above.
99 Anderson Sparkling Shiraz. Terrific wine, complex,I need to buy more
00 Tyrrells Vat 1 Semillon still young, some acid.
98 Turkey Flat Shiraz drinking really well now. Good wine
04 Pennys Hill Red Dot Shiraz Good, was hoping for more
02 Magpie Election Shiraz fantastic. rich, balanced,
04 Kaesler Stonehorse Shiraz Good. early drinker.
02 Tyrrells Rufus Stone Heathcote Shiraz. Very good. expected more mint
05 Wayne Thomas Shiraz brilliant.
00 Rockford Cab very good. better than I expected
02 Charlie Melton Cab drinking well now. good
05 Lazy Ballerina Shiraz something wrong? 2 bottles opened
01 Turkey Flat Cab Very good. I should buy this every year
98 d'Arenberg Coppermine Rd Cab Big wine. Tannic, chewy,lots of fruit,needs time.
01 Tattachilla Foundation Very good.
96 E&E Sparkling Shiraz Overoaked.
95 and 96 and 98 Seppelt Original Sparkling Burgundy All Really enjoyable
04 Schild Estate Shiraz Dont know how this got 96 in WS. Simple.

Bruce

Was it a long visit? :)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Pelican

Post by Pelican »

2006 Woodlands Cabernet Merlot Wilyabrup Valley Margaret River ($25):

Nice and Varietal - even some pencil - fresh under screwcap in a good way. Understated and charmingly modest at 13% alcohol. I don't think it had great length so more or less a drink now proposition I'd say.

2005 Teruzzi and Puthod Vernaccia di San Gimignano Italy ($20) :

An amazingly smelly corky cork - BUT the wine was fine ! Very pale looking. I love this style of white as it is so not cloying. Nice label with some sort of medieval painting of a party in full swing. Perhaps they could improve by moving on from medieval corks and sealing with stelvin. Otherwise great stuff for my palate.

Looking forward to cracking a Bannockburn Pinot' next weekend - especially if Geelong lose to my footy team next Saturday - heh.

Attila

Post by Attila »

TORB wrote:Attila,

Firstly my congratulations on the bub. And it's even better that she doesn't look anything like you. :P

The place hasn't been the same without the "Mad Hungarian," I'm glad you back to posting.

Thank you Ric,

it's good to be back. My life is extremely busy now with my family, tasting is not a problem but posting is another matter.
You know, my daughter does look a bit like me, a bigger photo here at Who am I:

http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=351

Cheers,
Attila
"(Wine) information is only as valuable as its source" DB

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Attended a tasting on saturday but will post separately for that one.

Other than that, last night:
98 Kelly's Promise Cabernet Savignon Good color but past it. No fruit left and bitter in that nearly vinegar way. Not really nearly vinegar but a very dull drink and left about four years too long. From the McLaren vale.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

GRB

Post by GRB »

1998 Zema Shiraz
All harmonious and pleasant drinking. Nothing really stands out which makes it just a little boring, finishes a bit short as well.

2002 Saltram Mamre Brook Cab Sav
Hadn't tried one for a while and thought is was time. Still very youthfull on the first night purple hues still, tanin acid and some oak still to the fore. Settled down somewhat on the second night, need to leave the rest for several years yet. Plenty of potential here.

Glen
Winner of the inaugural RB cork-count competition
Runner up RB-NTDIR competition
Runner up TORB TN competition
Leave of absence second RB c-c competition

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Swan Valley wine awards tasting. Very sorry to say but the Talijancich's 1961 Solero the only stand out IMO. Very disappointing turn out from the flagship swan valley wineries. No Sandalford or even the hosts themselves Houghton’s were to be seen. Used to be a great event, think that might have been my last.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

2004 Alan McCorkindale Riesling
Won't last much longer. Acid is low, but this is still yummy Spring drinking.
2004 Johanneshof Gewurztraminer
Lucsious, freshly sweet, aromatic; exceptional.
2002 Muddy Water Reloaded Pinot Noir
Brett and a dumb palate. Awful.
2005 Brook Eden Pinot Noir
Forest/growth element that seems typical of Pipers (or Pipers vicinity) wineries. Complexity on the nose. Sweet and savoury palate - very tasty. Tannins are fine and ever so grainy. Wonderful. Deserves all of its accolades.
1995 Stonecroft Ruhanui
Lovely aged Hawkes Bay blend. Peak drinking with resolved tannins and secondary characters.
1994 Orlando Centenary Hill Shiraz
Needs time. Lots more time. Certainly in its secondary phase, and whilst everything is balanced and well weighted, the tannins indicate this still has and needs a decade. Very different to the '95 and '96. Good, but needed food.
Max
-----
Avant d’être bon, un vin doit être vrai

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

I've had a busy weekend, starting with the offline at Soho Friday night.

Saturday I dropped into an encore instore appearance by Kabminye featuring some of the same wines as a few months ago, and a few new ones. I was a bit disappointed this time, especially with the 2004 Schliebs Block which looked prematurely aged and very hot again. The 2004 Barossa Shiraz was pretty solid if not spectacular, while the 2006 Zinfandel was (perhaps not surprisingly) the best of the bunch by a big margin - I grabbed a bottle to have in full later that night with a mate watching the footy.

Sunday I went on a bus trip with AFWAC to Langhorne Creek to visit Zonte's Footstep, Bremerton and Lake Breeze:

I never liked a Zonte's Footstep wine I tried until this trip - the 2006 Pinot Grigio changed that in a big way and I think it fully deserves it's recent Hyatt/Advertiser win. I also liked the 2006 Verdelho & 2005 Cabernet Malbec, but I still can't stand their 2006 Viognier & SV - some things haven't changed.

Lunch at Bremerton was a very relaxed and enjoyable affair - as to the wines, all of the premiums were sold out/not available for tasting, and I wasn't impressed with what was there. Lake Breeze still had a little of the 2004 Bernoota available and not surprisingly it was the best red and best value of the day and snapped up by quite a few people.

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

n4sir wrote:but I still can't stand their 2006 Viognier & SV - some things haven't changed.
Cheers,
Ian

Yes, possibly the most written about Aussie wine on the UK Wine Pages forum. :!: Most of the UK wine writers have talked it up and most of the plebs have said how revolting it is. I guess it's all to do with impacting a jaded palate, but more than a taste is too much...