seppelts original sparkling shiraz

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Colin Rule

seppelts original sparkling shiraz

Post by Colin Rule »

I recently tried the 1998 Seppelts original for the first time (better late than never) and was very impressed with the quality v price. Of course the 98 is hard to find now and am not sure that the 99, which is readily available is as good...it certainly lacks the same scented, pleasantly soapy aroma of the 98, right now. But at $12-something a bottle it is tempting. Any thoughts from "sparkling red buffs" as to the potential of the 99 vintage in comparison? Should I wait for another good year to come along? This wine never seems to be exy, anyway, so I would rather wait and pay a bit more for a better year, if thats the case. Any help appreciated. Cheers, Colin.

TORB

Post by TORB »

Colin,

Another lower cost one thats worth trying is the Yalumba 1998 Black D. I just purchased some for $22 a bottle, terrific value.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Hi guys,
the 98 has just sold out (from retail here in Victoria and from Yalumba). From memory the 99 will be released in March.

Cheers
Anthony
Good wine ruins the purse; bad wine ruins the stomach
Spanish saying

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

I drank the 99 over Christmas (it is indeed released), and whilst I preferred the 98, the followup is not shabby at all.
I think that if I could buy it at $12-ish then I would be drinking the stuff morning and night! It is definitely a steal at that price.

Cheers,

S.

Wycroft

Post by Wycroft »

Drank the 99 on Christmas Day and found it a bit underwhelming. Just lacked intensity really. However, at $12 a bottle I'd drink more of it. At $29 a bottle in Singapore it's a little less palatable.

Paul T

Post by Paul T »

Torb ..i agree on the Yalumba Black D..very nice bubbles..i believe the base material is the same used for The Signature. Excellent value at the price you paid..i think we have it for about $30..and still good value at that price.

The 99 Seppelts is not as good as the 98 but still great value at the price.Doesn't have too many competitors.

Cheers

Paul T
"You have only so many bottles in your life, never drink a bad one"

---Len Evans

Pana

Post by Pana »

Most shops have sold their 98's, and yes the 99 has been heavily discounted to $13. We can talk for ever about the vageries between the 98 v 99, but IMHO dont think is much between them.
What one must remember is that you are getting a 4 year old "aged" sparkling (that requires a hell of alot more resources and time to produce over a traditional red), heaps of history, quality that has little in the way of piers ALL FOR $13.