Coonawarra Roadshow

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
griff

Coonawarra Roadshow

Post by griff »

Pretty exhausting for me. Plenty of wines not tried that I wanted to try, not much time with any of them and palate fatigue crept in. A few overall impressions firstly.

Seems to be two styles of modern Cooonwarra red. The blockbuster and a more elegant almost floral style. It was interesting as some producers had both e.g. Wynn's (Black label 05, johnson's and Michael 04 elegant but the Riddoch 04 a blockbuster) and Bowen (Shiraz 05 elegant but Cabernet 05 blockbuster) come to mind.

2006 looks very good for cabernet.

I detected quite a few wines with excess (for me at least) acidity on the finish. I understand that acid is added to both shiraz and cabernet in Coonawarra. Whereas some were very well balanced, I found some makers slightly overcompensating.

Lastly, a few wines on tasting had a formic acid/varnishy nose. Brand's 02 stentiford, highbank blend 01, hollick 01 and Zema 04 family selection cabernet, Majella Mallea 04 were some of them. Not sure I like it or dislike but definitely noticed it.

A few wines made me sit up and take notice although I can hardly rate them in this sort of setting.

The 2006 Wynn's Barrel Series Auction wine was seriously impressive and wine of the show for me, a supercar of a wine with a lot of power yet pinpoint handling. Totally impenetrable of course but oh the potential! Favorite of the 06 barrel series wines I tried.

Wynns - The Johnson's Block Shiraz Cabernet (missed the vintage shown - any help?): one of the most balanced wines at the tasting with power and structure and bright elegant finish with a touch of musk even (which surprised me in a nice way). On the elegant side but still had a plush mid-palate. Equal most impressive labeled wine with the Prodigy below and on the buying radar. Also, Wynn's black label 05 was perhaps the best value wine on tasting but one mentioned the Brands was but I didn't get to see it.

Katnook - Prodigy 2004 Shiraz: Blockbuster. More stuffing than the Michael 04 from Wynn's but still managed to have a firm structure. Oak (mostly french) showing but will probably integrate in time. Although the 03 Odyssey was rich in fruit weight, it perhaps was too rich for me.

Balnaves - The 05 Cabernet was one of the biggest wines at the show (bigger than the Tally 05). Obviously a blockbuster style. Seriously structured with a very grippy finish. Almost an Old World style. Not for drinking now unless with a seriously large piece of steak. The Tally 05 was more approachable surprisingly however.

Bowen - seem to be coming back into the limelight. The shiraz 05 was impressive in the elegant style. Lurvly! The cabernet 05 was huge with super fruit density. Swallowed up all oak thrown at it and not hot on the finish despite the 15% abv. (another thought it was however). Perhaps slightly too rich for me but not a bad wine and it was just a personal preference.

Lindeman's - The limestone ridge 04 was very good. Seamless with supple tannin. Didn't quite fit into my impromptu elegant v blockbuster category system however :roll: :)

Thats all for now.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

I reckon the 04 Wynns Johnson and 04 Limestone have a very high *yawn* factor. Both a bit underweight too.

05 Balnaves Cab sounds excellent.

GW

griff

Post by griff »

Gary W wrote:I reckon the 04 Wynns Johnson and 04 Limestone have a very high *yawn* factor. Both a bit underweight too.

05 Balnaves Cab sounds excellent.

GW

Can agree with the Limestone but the Johnson was a surprise for me so not boring as such.

As for underweight, I find that surprising coming from a Hunterphile :P :twisted:

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

DavidL

Post by DavidL »

Can anyone shed some further light on the 05 Balnaves Cabernet e.g. ageing potential, tasting notes etc etc

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

I missed this years roadshow in Sydney, but recall my fav's from last year (actually it may have been the year before that) being Wynns Harold Vineyard Cab.Sauv 2001, and the Parker Estate First Growth 2001.

Has anyone tasted either of these two wines recently ? I'd be interested to know how they're travelling.

Cheers,

Cuttlefish
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

cuttlefish wrote:I missed this years roadshow in Sydney, but recall my fav's from last year (actually it may have been the year before that) being Wynns Harold Vineyard Cab.Sauv 2001, and the Parker Estate First Growth 2001.

Has anyone tasted either of these two wines recently ? I'd be interested to know how they're travelling.

Cheers,

Cuttlefish

I tried the 2001 Parker Estate First Growth last Monday among a series of vintages blind against Yarra Yerring No 1 & Cullen Diana Madeleine - that vintage looked particularly good indeed, a big surprise to me (although maybe not to you from the question).

I hope to have the notes for the whole tasting typed up & posted very soon.

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Gary W wrote:I reckon the 04 Wynns Johnson and 04 Limestone have a very high *yawn* factor. Both a bit underweight too.

Interesting. I tried this at the winery and thought it was pretty elegant and balanced and not as much of an outright gun as the 05 Black Label.

I recently opened an 03 Johnsons Block that was corked and pleasingly, Wynns replaced it with the 04 vintage. From memory, the 03 was a more herbal, green-ish wine whereas the 04 more classically varietal if subtle. Probably a fair exhange, in retrospect, but I digress somewhat....
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

cuttlefish wrote:I missed this years roadshow in Sydney, but recall my fav's from last year (actually it may have been the year before that) being Wynns Harold Vineyard Cab.Sauv 2001, and the Parker Estate First Growth 2001.

Cheers,

Cuttlefish

I bought a couple of Harolds a couple of years back on the strength of good reviews and a consequently favourable tasting at cellar door. I tried one mid last year from memory and it was pretty robust still and could go a good while longer. Holding off on the last one for another few years based on that assessment.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

I went to this event in Sydney and have been meaning to post notes ever since. I can't remember much of it now so just going from my notes which may be garbled:

Balnaves

05 The Blend
Red purple colour, bit of heat and mild tannins.
05 Cabernet Deep red. Nice integration, full bodied but obvious tannins. A little bit green and no obvious fruit that is easily identifiable.
05 Tally Very deep red, sweet nose, slightly astringent, a little blackcurrent on nose. Solid tannins and alcohol. Good on tongue and lovely structure with a touch of vanilla. Elegant but full bodied. This was surprisingly approachable.

Bowen Estate

05 Shiraz
Maybe a little flat. Had a slight aroma of amyl nitrate - maybe formic acid. Might have been the bottle but not so impressed.
05 Cab Sav Dense purple, smooth on palate. Very nice indeed. Maybe a little bit bitter but very good.

Brands

04 Brands Laira cab sav
Sweet nose. Very, very good with again that slight amyl nitrate nose
04 Patron's Reserve This is being released in September apparently. 100% new french oak. Very elegant, very good indeed and I've got written down that I should track it down.
06 Barrel Series Big amyl nose on this one. I can cope with a little but too much is too much. Hard to get past this. Sweeter on the palate and feels a lot younger. Not as good as the Parton's.
02 Shiraz Steinifords Reserve Old Vine Series Red Purple. Wasn't so impressed with this one. Still more amyl and no obvious fruit coming through. Just a bit dumb for me.

Highbank Vinyards

02 Coonawarra
Bordeaux blend. Musty red maroon colour. A bit stalky but in a nice way. Pepper, capsicum. Good mouthfeel - a bit stoney with a slightly dirty finish. 13% alcohol
01 Coonawarra Colour slightly clearer but still a bit murky. Very similar nose, capsicum. Cleaner finish but also slightly hot. 13% Alcohol too.

Leconfield Coonawarra

04 Merlot
14% Red maroon colour. Tasty, full bodied fruit. Nice to have after all the cabs.
05 Merlot 14%. More tannins. Maybe not quite as good as the 04.
05 Cab Sav Little bit green with biting tannins but only because the previous merlots were so smooth.

Lindemans Coonawarra

04 Limestone Ridge Shiraz Cab
2000 cases. Sweet nose with oaky vanilla. Very smooth, sweet easy drinking. Quite gluggable in fact. Very fine, barely noticable tannins. Lovely.
04 Pyrus Plum colour bordeaux blend. Peppery. A bit weak. Still sweet but with a slightly bitter finish. Needs some time.
04 St George Cab Sav 800 cases. French oak. Red clear colour. Smells like much better structure. Very slippery, easy drinking. I liked this a lot.

Majella

07 Rose
Shiraz base with half an hour skin contact. Pink colour. Sweet strawberry nose. Happy summer wine. Slight bitter finish but would be very good with food in the sunshine.
06 Musician Cab Shiraz Slightly bitter for me.
05 Merlot Strong blackcurrent pastile nose. Nice, quite smooth, typical merlot. Bit of pepper on the finish.
05 Shiraz Good purple colour, fine tannins, good medium body. Easy drinking.
05 Cabernet Dark purple. Good big cab nose. Full bodied. Good pepper, tight spicy palate. Going to be good.
04 Malleea Purple red. Smooth, smooth, smooth. Very elegant, very integrated, great drinking - a little bit too easy.
05 FRS Purple pink colour - slightly bitter. Big bead. Maybe a bit sweet and simple for me. Needs time. Slightly medicinal finish.

Parker Coonawarra Estate

05 Shiraz
14%. Spicy, well integrated and a nice drink.
04 Merlot Smooth, red, maybe a little bitter.
04 First Growth Cab Merlot 14.5%. Bigger bodied than other premiums tasted so far. Feels like it's quite closed and needs lots of time. Big bodied, vanilla nose, no green at all. Good stuff.

Redman Wines

01 Cab Sav Merlot
More amyl nitrate (I'm very sensitive to this). Clean palate though. Ready to drink and integrated however I just wasn't so keen.
03 Cab Sav Murky red purple. Not so bad. Quite drinkable.
04 Shiraz A bit simple and flabby

Wynns Coonawarra Estate

04 Michael Shiraz
Dark purple, sweet vanilla nose, very smooth and drinkable - unbelievable really how easy drinking most of the premiums from 04 and 05 are.
05 Cab Sav Sweet mellow nose. Mellow easy drinking, slightly hot on finish. Bit of caramel, vanilla oak. Needs some time.
04 Riddoch Nice big sweet nose. Very good, very integrated, very supple. Easy and smooth. I've got written, "Just buy some". Could easily all be drunk right now. Better quality french new oak (80%) used. Will age magnificantly. I think WOTN for me.
04 Johnson's Block Shiraz Cab Red purple. Not bad, buy if on special. Very slight pepper.

Zema Estate

03 Cluny
Bit rough on nose but tasted quite fruity. Cab Merlot bordeaux blend. Easy drinking and not bad at all.
04 Shiraz Getting hard to tell much by this stage. Still nice and easy drinking, well integrated. Vanilla nose.
04 Cab Sav Varietal nose. Peppery, capsicum. Bloody good actually. Another just buy (which I have since done). Sweet and yum.
04 Family Selection Shiraz 15.5% Flat nose, more alcohol on nose. Supple vanilla. French Oak. Sweet, maybe a bit simple. The alcohol is hidden well on the palate. Quite approachable.
04 Family Selection Cab Sav 14.5%. Little bit murky. More complex, more body. Really nice - step up from straight cab. Definitely get some.

Then I stumbled home - literally.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

L plater

Post by L plater »

bacchaebabe wrote:
Bowen Estate

05 Shiraz
Maybe a little flat. Had a slight aroma of amyl nitrate -

I've been out buying jams to teach my palate - not sure about developing my nose for amyl nitrate!:shock:

Perhaps I need to get out more

griff

Post by griff »

L plater wrote:
bacchaebabe wrote:
Bowen Estate

05 Shiraz

I've been out buying jams to teach my palate - not sure about developing my nose for amyl nitrate!:shock:

Some people spent their youth in clubs, some spent those years burning ants with a magnifying glass. Oh those young foolish misguided days :) :roll:

cheers

Carl

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

griff wrote:
L plater wrote:
bacchaebabe wrote:
Bowen Estate

05 Shiraz

Some people spent their youth in clubs, some spent those years burning ants with a magnifying glass. Oh those young foolish misguided days :) :roll:

cheers

Carl

Exactly! Misspent youth, continuing with a misspent middle age. I'll grow up eventually.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)