What wine is your glass at the moment?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
BillMac

What wine is your glass at the moment?

Post by BillMac »

Im about to open a half bottle of 02 Fermoy Estate Cab Sav...should be interesting.
Whats on the agenda for those logged in at the moment?

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Torbreck The Factor 2005 for me...looking pretty snazzy too

Mark S

Post by Mark S »

just opened a 1999 Prince Albert Pinot (from auction) - perfect cork, superb wine, gentle smoky undergrowth notes with a silky mouthfeel, ample developed fruit complexity. :D

BillMac

Post by BillMac »

Bugga..is wet newpaper a desirable aroma in a Margaret River Cab Sav? Naa, maybe distant aromas of tabacco. Wet leather? No fruits. Palate, hard to decribe, soft tannis becoming chalky I think I'll give an hour and revisit.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Mr Riggs McLarenVale Shiraz 2003 (15% a/v), pretty good effort from a tough vintage, just lacking the mid-palate weight and fruit intensity of the better vintages, it went nicely with stir-fried Thai Chicken with Basil and Chilli (Gai Pad Bai Gaprow, 17 home-grown chillis for about 600g chicken :-) ).
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

BillMac wrote:Bugga..is wet newpaper a desirable aroma in a Margaret River Cab Sav? Naa, maybe distant aromas of tabacco. Wet leather? No fruits. Palate, hard to decribe, soft tannis becoming chalky I think I'll give an hour and revisit.

Open something else instead...
Cheers
Brian

Dave Dewhurst

Post by Dave Dewhurst »

03 Tahbilk Marsanne right now and heading off for a date with as yet unknown reds and spag bol.

Cheers

Dave

BillMac

Post by BillMac »

Red Bigot wrote:
BillMac wrote:Bugga..is wet newpaper a desirable aroma in a Margaret River Cab Sav? Naa, maybe distant aromas of tabacco. Wet leather? No fruits. Palate, hard to decribe, soft tannis becoming chalky I think I'll give an hour and revisit.

What!! Waste half a bottle of wine?
I wonder if the cat will drink it?

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Not strictly in my glass this very minute but fresh off the plane to Singapore, some enjoyable plane wines...

Charles Heideseck 2003 Vintage
Lovely bready, fresh and zingy with long finish.

Chateau Battailey 1998 Paulliac
Beautiful wine, opened with a nose of sweet compost and ashy fireplaces and delivered smooth, blackcurrant flavours in an elegant package.

Elderton Shiraz 2004
The inky massive Barossa deal, loads of mocha-ey oak, vanilla and ripe fruit. Intense, especially when up against the Bordeaux but not a put off.

Off to Rome in a few hours, some crisp aromatic whites on the agenda to start at least!
Last edited by Wayno on Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Glen

Post by Glen »

Water :(

Last days of a detox!

BillMac

Post by BillMac »

Glen wrote:Water :(

Last days of a detox!

Yeah. I have to do de tax as well. :?

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

BillMac wrote:
Red Bigot wrote:

I opened 3 bottles last night before I found one worth drinking, 96 Charles Melton Cabernet was tiring badly and will be drain cleaner, Brookland Valley Merlot 1997 wasn't much better and went into a marinade tonight, Brookland Valley 1996 Cab-Merlot was in fine form and went a treat with lamb sauteed with rosemary and garlic. Life's too short to drink bad wine!
Cheers
Brian

BillMac

Took Red Bigots advice....

Post by BillMac »

opened a bottle 05 Meera Park shiraz viognier...wow. Bought 2 bottles today. Will be going back for the other 4 tomorrow. Apricots! Fruit! Leather and earth! Smooth wine. Fills the mouth. Very dark colour. Light tannins. Ah forget it, I'm gonna sit back and enjoy.
Last edited by BillMac on Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

griff

Post by griff »

BillMac wrote:
Red Bigot wrote:

Sounds corked to be honest :(

As for me a 1997 Clarendon Hills Chardonnay from auction. Interesting that it is only 12.5% Hanging barely in there but still traveling ;)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Raymond W

Post by Raymond W »

Moss Wood Ribbon Vale Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot 2001 (14.5%, cork)

Cabernet Sauvignon 60% Merlot 30% Cabernet Franc 10%

First night (15th August 2007)
My first Moss Wood red. Bought this for around 3,000yen (A$35) a couple of years ago. Dark ruby but going slightly watery / clear at the rim. Initial aromas of oak and red fruits. Floral aromas began to emerge after 5 minutes and blackcurrants and black fruits after around 20 minutes. Initial entry of black fruits reflecting the nose then a little bit of sour cherries before hitting a dry tannic finish. Firm tannins which became a little smoother with some time in the glass but the finish just dried out a tad too much for my palate. Medium / Full bodied.

Second night (tonight)
No red fruits noted on tonight. Instead, it is an all black fruits / blackcurrants / floral nose. The oak is very much in the background. The tannins are a little smoother, but I’m sure that I’ll enjoy this wine more in a few years to allow the tannins to soften more. Maybe, that is why Jeremy Oliver gives this wine a drinking window of 2009 to 2013. The finish is still the same. The drying tannins certainly outlasts the fruit in the race to the finish. I’d buy another glass of this wine to try again, but not sure if I’d rush out to get hold of another bottle of this wine.

tos

Post by tos »

Mike Press Pinot Noir 2004

As many have mentioned, extremely good value - at this price point i probably expect a simple, fault free wine without any varietal character (which this wine has). Opens up with plenty of red berry fruits which subside with time in the glass/ the acid becomes more prominent. Definitely an acid driven wine on the palate and therefore matches well with food.

I believe 05 was a better year for Pinot in the Adelaide Hills but unfortunately Mike Press didn't make an 05 Pinot and sold off the grapes ... may pick up some more of this 04 (or the cab sauv that Gavin has listed?)

Sharkey

Re: Took Red Bigots advice....

Post by Sharkey »

BillMac wrote:opened a bottle 05 Meera Park shiraz viognier...wow. Bought 2 bottles today. Will be going back for the other 4 tomorrow. Apricots! Fruit! Leather and earth! Smooth wine. Fills the mouth. Very dark colour. Light tannins. Ah forget it, I'm gonna sit back and enjoy.

Had this at a Meerea Park degustation dinner two weeks ago. Waiting for delivery of a case I ordered that night. Great value at $16. The co-fermentation of the shiraz and the viognier seems to integrate better than most SVs.

Tonight I had an 02 Ingoldby Shiraz with marinated lamb steaks. Not bad for a Thursday night quaffer.
Sharkey

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

L plater

Post by L plater »

Drinking time a bit later in Perth,

Second night of Kabminye Shiraz Cabernet 2004 (better than day one, but it has been a long working day) - fruit has died down a bit, with some coffee and chocolate flavours coming through, but not quite enough to balance the oak and (fine)tannin. OK wine but definitely will go into the quaff now category.

griff

Post by griff »

L plater wrote:Drinking time a bit later in Perth

Agreed. Welcome to the forum as well.

Onto a Shadowfax K road red blend 2002: Smokey bush tomatoes with cured meats. Bright on the palate and very forward finishing soirt with hints of ash. Well its interesting I give you that; not sure about drinkability though.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

The rain's pissin' down here for one last time before spring officially kicks in (I think it's actually snuck in here about a week ago) so I cracked open an older bottling of Baileys of Glenrowan Founder Liqueur Tokay.

This one's a bit riper than what I tried at the Fortified tasting at Magill Estate last month, more porty on the nose with more noticeable fruitcake, tobacco and cumin characters on the palate, the finish a little shorter and hotter. Overall it's a bit more like their Founder Muscat :wink: :shock: Still a great little heart warmer though.

Cheers,
Ian

Ps. Again, a very welcome to the forum to you L plater - after how many drinks do you graduate to a P plater? :wink: :P
Last edited by n4sir on Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Right now: Pepsi Max. :evil:
Premierships and great wine... that is what life is all about

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Jordan wrote:Right now: Pepsi Max. :evil:

Please explain...
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

St Hallett Faith Shiraz 2004 I've become somewhat fond of the 2005 of this wine and the vintage difference difference is like splitting straws. It's plummy/dark berry fruit with some licorice is what I really enjoy. The fruit is what this wine's all about but it does have a touch of charry oak, soft tannins and acid with some spicy notes on a nice length finish. Not a real cellaring wine IMO but it's not really meant to be. Why bother?

My favourite quaffer at present.

Cheers

daz

pstarr

Post by pstarr »

For me tonight, a glass of unwooded chardonnay from 2006 I made with my winemaking class (still bananas there, damnit), and half of a bottle of a Beronia Mazuelo 1996 (Rioja). I think this is the first time I've had straight carinena/carignan/mazuelo of this age. Done as a Reserva, with 24 months in American oak, yet the oak has been completely soaked up by now. Really interesting wine - all about tannins and acid, and the interplay between them, with just enough persistent fruit (and good colour still) to stretch out over the top. Glad I have more.
Paul.

KMP

Post by KMP »

Last night was the remains of a 2001 Paolo Scavino Barolo; not my cup of tea. Later this evening 6-8 champers.

Mike

Nick

Post by Nick »

Yep, Pepsi Max for me as well. I'm thinking that one of the many chemicals inside might kill whatever bacteria or virus has infected my chest & throat!

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

1990 Dom Perignon with lunch .....

griff

Post by griff »

Pick the guys who are in summer at the moment ;)

How was the Dom travelling KMP? Last I had was oxidised slightly. I admit to terrible trouble with aged champagne. Hit and miss unfortunately. Its worse than burgundy :evil: :)

cheers

Carl

Joe Cz

Post by Joe Cz »

Right now it's a bottle of Massena 2005 The Eleventh Hour Shiraz--looking really sharp, better than two days ago when first opened. The Howling Dog was shining brighter then--I'll try that again in a little while.
Joe Czerwinski

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Coffee. Strong smokey notes of Columbian forest floor rounded off with a creamy rich palette and a sign that morning is actually here.