Is there a Grenache Drinker in the House?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

2005 Tim Smith Mourvedre Grenache Shiraz is an absolute beauty if you can get it. Maybe from Auswine $25 18.75/20.00
We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time!

Mike_A

Outcome

Post by Mike_A »

Hi guys

thanks for your input the other day.

the wines we tasted were

Cirillo 04 Old Vine Greenache (Price around $50 Barossa)
Wine of the night just, from some very old vines big alcoholic slightly hot wine (16%) but with attractive spicy fruit.

Kalleske 05 Old Vine Greenache (Price around $45 Barossa)
Some said it had a peppermint character on the nose and palate, but i didn't find it so. Intense palate, heaps of tannin very balanced. (My wine of the night)

Claredon Hills 03 Romas ( Price around $110 McLaren Vale)
Wasn't decantered, not sure way and it seemed closed tight tannins and acid spicy flavours needs more time.

Laughing Jack 05 Old Vine Moppa (Price around $60 i think Barossa]
Big bully busher of a wine. Vibrant colour tight sweet fruit high in alcohol.
Needs a lot of time, this one stood out from the rest.

I've gained a great appreciation of the variety, but lloks like they all could do with some more time in the cellar

regards

mike

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

I reckon the Cirillo was our WOTN too at our latest Grenache dinner, tied with the Gibson (for me at least). THAT was the mysterious wine that seemed to shrug from my memory...
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Winelover

Post by Winelover »

Try the Langmeil Fifth Wave Grenache.

cruiser

Post by cruiser »

[quote="Tristram Shandy"]2002 Wirra Wirra Grenache

Don't know if you can find the Wirra Wirra anymore, but it was a beauty.[quote]
One of my favourites too. I picked up six bottles recently through Langtons for a song. Last time I was in Kemenys (about 6 weeks ago) they had some down the back. Beware the Wirra Wirra 03 Grenache as it's very ordinary. I'm not sure if they've made any since.

I also recently enjoyed a bottle of Serafino Old Bush Vine Grenache but can't remember the year sorry. It was about $13 at Kemenys.

tpang

Post by tpang »

I just had the Cirillo, and it's quite a good, easy drink. I can fully appreciate the Old Vines in this one, and it would seem underpriced for Australia's oldest grenache vines. I wonder how the high alcohol % fit into this homely rustic wine making style. Does anyone think it holds more potential than it's showing?