George Wyndham Black Cluster Shiraz 2003?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
SueNZ

George Wyndham Black Cluster Shiraz 2003?

Post by SueNZ »

Anyone tried this? I've heard lots of rave reviews about it - mind you the raves are all from writers and retailers who were flown to the estate in the Hunter a couple of months ago. Got to try it yesterday for myself as local wine retailer put it on the tasting table. I had the first pour out of a just opened bottle but was assaulted and floored by the new oak in the wine. Fruit seemed pretty good, but I just couldn't get past the oak and the sawdust aftertaste remained in my mouth for about 15 minutes. Seems like it needs about 5 years to settle down.

Duras

Post by Duras »

Winorama has a review here...
http://www.winorama.com.au/?p=1495

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Nice enough but too much (inexpensive) oak and too expensive. It is not a wine that is very expressive of the region either..
GW

SueNZ

Post by SueNZ »

Duras wrote:Winorama has a review here...
http://www.winorama.com.au/?p=1495

Thanks I found Gary's review via Google after posting this. Saw that someone else commented on the oak as well.
$70 in NZ and way not worth it, IMO.

Anyone else had the opportunity to try it?

SueNZ

Post by SueNZ »

Gary W wrote:Nice enough but too much (inexpensive) oak and too expensive. It is not a wine that is very expressive of the region either..
GW

What is expressive of the region?

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

off the top of my head..

moving up the oak scale to end of list but but still regional. I would recommend all of these wines.

Mount Pleasant Philip (esp. 2003,2000,1998,1999)
Brokenwood Hunter Valley
Tyrrells Brokenback
Tyrrells Steven
Tulloch Private Bin Shiraz
Tyrrells Vat 9
Tyrrells Four Acre
Chatto
David Hook Wines The Gorge
Margan
Mount Pleasant Rosehill
Tintilla Reserve
Pothana
De Iullis
Mistletoe Reserve
Tower Estate
Chateau Pato DJP
Brokenwood Mistress
Meerea Park Alex Munro
Meerea Park Hell Hole
De Iuilis Limited Release
Margan White Label
Thomas Kiss
Brokenwood Graveyard
etc
even the humble Lindemans Bin xx03 is regional

It is an embarrasment of riches with recent top vintages (1998,2000,2003,2005) with 2004 being solid, 2006 looking good, 2002 OK, 2001 a washout and 2007 already looking outstanding.

GW

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

The wise C.Mattinson at www.winefront.com.au said on Dec 12 -

Wyndham Estate Hunter Valley Black Cluster Shiraz 2003 ($65)
The price is hugely ambitious - indeed, just plain wrong - but the wine is nice, all soft red and darker berries with a haze of chicken stock and earth and oak-derived coffee. It has quite a bit of acidity, a fair amount of attractive oak, and a loose sense of structure, but the more I looked at it the more it seemed essentially balanced, and attractive. It has a slightly bitter finish, but it should age soundly, and well. Drink: 2007-2017. 89 points.

GW