Buying Bordeaux

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Scanlon

Buying Bordeaux

Post by Scanlon »

Hi Everyone

The new east end cellars newsletter is out,and it's all about Bordeaux.
http://www.eastendcellars.com.au/news/33
I've had very limited experience with foreign reds generally (due to long-term student impoverishment) , but I would like to explore beyond the shores of OZ (now that the $ is not -quite- as limited).

Does anyone recommend anything from EEC's list, or have a favourite they could recommend? I would prefer under the $100 mark (under $70-$80 would be ideal), and am not really looking beyond the current vintage. Perhaps I'm dreaming with this price range, but I had to ask.

Thanks and cheers,
scans :wink:

Nayan

Post by Nayan »

Why do you want to tie up your money for 2 years when you can buy older vintages, that are drinking now, through the auction houses?

A lot of the 97's are quite approachable at the moment.

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Buy some 2004 that are just coming in and see what you like first. There are some values there. This vintage would seem to be quite pricey considering the (reported) quality. Prices not that much lower than 2005.
The first growths will always be a good pick en primeur...you will not lose money but the sub $100 you can wait for I think...
Failing that I like for left bank Branaire Ducru, Sociando Mallet, Chasse Spleen as value picks and Grand Puy Lacoste (although the 2003 was a bit shit).
GW

Scanlon

Post by Scanlon »

Nayan wrote:Why do you want to tie up your money for 2 years when you can buy older vintages, that are drinking now, through the auction houses?

I guess I don't know where to buy from auction houses - it's mostly bottleshops. you know i'm not a hardcore hunter, and i wouldn't know whether it was worth to buy the older vintages. I'm certainly open to suggestions :)

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Certainly not worth buying any 1997's.....
GW

griff

Post by griff »

Scanlon wrote:
Nayan wrote:Why do you want to tie up your money for 2 years when you can buy older vintages, that are drinking now, through the auction houses?

I guess I don't know where to buy from auction houses - it's mostly bottleshops. you know i'm not a hardcore hunter, and i wouldn't know whether it was worth to buy the older vintages. I'm certainly open to suggestions :)

There seems to be an auction house (or three) in most capital cities

Check out Red Bigot's website where he has listed auction houses and how they compare on a few categories. If you pick an auction house in your own city you might be able to pick up. Allows you to test the water so to speak.

You would hate to splurge on an average vintage like 2006, have your money tied up for a couple of years as was noted earlier and I would add you wouldn't really approach/drink them for 5 years (at least) again.

I think Bordeaux a reasonable punt on the secondary market as they are more resilient to uncertain cellaring than more delicate wines.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Nayan

Post by Nayan »

Gary W wrote:Certainly not worth buying any 1997's.....
GW

I beg to differ.

Clos du Marquis is nice at the moment (maybe even a touch young) for around 50 bucks. Lagrange is a pretty drop. Cos is great, if you can find it; as are Ducru and the Leovilles. Haven't tried Sociando Mallet, but heard that is pretty good.

I'm not talking about wines that would necessarily rock your world, rather good examples of Bordeaux that have charm and are drinking now. And they are available at an appropriate price.

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Nayan wrote:
Gary W wrote:Certainly not worth buying any 1997's.....
GW

I beg to differ.

Clos du Marquis is nice at the moment (maybe even a touch young) for around 50 bucks. Lagrange is a pretty drop. Cos is great, if you can find it; as are Ducru and the Leovilles. Haven't tried Sociando Mallet, but heard that is pretty good.

I'm not talking about wines that would necessarily rock your world, rather good examples of Bordeaux that have charm and are drinking now. And they are available at an appropriate price.

Well then you would take 95 surely? Cos is nice if you like capsicum and sweet fruit...and not cheap for what it is either.
GW

Nayan

Post by Nayan »

Gary W wrote:Well then you would take 95 surely? Cos is nice if you like capsicum and sweet fruit...and not cheap for what it is either.
GW

Actually I'd rather go 96 for the Left Bank, as a rule. 95 more one for the Right Bank.

Got a case of 97 Cos EP back in the day, and loved it when I tried it last about a year ago. Not sure I recognise it by your note though.

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Nayan wrote:
Gary W wrote:Well then you would take 95 surely? Cos is nice if you like capsicum and sweet fruit...and not cheap for what it is either.
GW

Actually I'd rather go 96 for the Left Bank, as a rule. 95 more one for the Right Bank.

Got a case of 97 Cos EP back in the day, and loved it when I tried it last about a year ago. Not sure I recognise it by your note though.

95 LB is drinking better now than 96 (generally)...and usually cheaper the point being.
GW

Nayan

Post by Nayan »

Gary,

I haven't had either the 95 or 96 LB for a while, so couldn't comment.

My comment was a broad rule as Cabernet based wines generally performed better in 96 than 95. Obviously there are always exceptions...

But heading back to what Dr List was asking, I still stand by the fact that the 97s are a good place to start, not least as they can be generally picked up for about half the price (quick winesearcher comparison) of the 95s and 96s while giving the drinker substantially more than half the value and experience.

Nayan

PS Sarah, LB stands for Leoville Barton. A very consistently performing Chateau on the Left Bank.

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

LB in this usage stands for Left Bank related to the previous dialogue.
I'd say we beg do differ on this then because to my mind drinking bordeaux from one of the (if not the) worst vintages of the last 10 is not a good introduction to Bordeaux. The wines are still not inexpensive relative to the quality of premium mature Aus cabernet either.
GW

sanjay

Post by sanjay »

I, too, would avoid 1997 Bordeaux, in general. Overpriced when it came out and underperforming.

Lower ranked 1996 are currently drinking very well- such as Du Tertre, Haut Batailley. They are open for business. Other left bankers from 1996 that are a bit more expensive but will open up after a long decant will be Leoville Poyferre, Pontet Canet, Haut Bailly.

BTW, Leoville Barton 1996 and 1995 are fantastic. Had both last year. Yes, Leoville Barton is the best qpr bordeaux.

sanjay